• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

On Pure Talent, are the Rangers a Playoff Team?

LeetchFan

Based purely on TALENT, would you say the Rangers are a playoff team ? In other words, based on pure talent would you say they should be considered for a playoff berth or even favored to be one of the teams that actually makes it ?

I look at this team and the answer is YES.

I agree a ton with the pre-season analyses: the Rangers need to jell....we need the Defense to communicate better/more with the front line....Skeij is a big question mark....do Hank's "bad" games suddently happen 1 out of 4 nights instead of 1 out of 10 ?.....etc.

But with Panarin, Mika, Trouba, Kappo, Kreider, etc....sorry...this is NOT a talent-deprived team like those under Tom Renny and the post-Jagr clubs or God Forbid the late-1990's/early-2000's clubs. Our 2nd and 3rd-line players have a few years under their belts but they are NOT expected to carry the club. They just have to be OK-to-good. Not spectacular or looking to have a career year or two that sets the goal unrealistically high (like happened with Ryan McDonough).

Quite frankly, I'd be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs (even if we have to trade Kreider, which kills me). I didn't say that the last 2 years.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based purely on TALENT, would you say the Rangers are a playoff team ? In other words, based on pure talent would you say they should be considered for a playoff berth or even favored to be one of the teams that actually makes it ?

I look at this team and the answer is YES.

I agree a ton with the pre-season analyses: the Rangers need to jell....we need the Defense to communicate better/more with the front line....Skeij is a big question mark....do Hank's "bad" games suddently happen 1 out of 4 nights instead of 1 out of 10 ?.....etc.

But with Panarin, Mika, Trouba, Pakko, Kreider, etc....sorry...this is NOT a talent-deprived team like those under Tom Renny and the post-Jagr clubs or God Forbid the late-1990's/early-2000's clubs. Our 2nd and 3rd-line players have a few years under their belts but they are NOT expected to carry the club. They just have to be OK-to-good. Not spectacular or looking to have a career year or two that sets the goal unrealistically high (like happened with Ryan McDonough).

Quite frankly, I'd be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs (even if we have to trade Kreider, which kills me). I didn't say that the last 2 years.

I?m actually thinking the week off will be good. Get a few practices in and work on defense and breakouts

There top line looks scary good. Right up there with any top line in the league. What a trade for Mika how good does that deal look

Loving Panarin in the ovi slot. Kids got a cannon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I?m actually thinking the week off will be good. Get a few practices in and work on defense and breakouts There top line looks scary good. Right up there with any top line in the league. What a trade for Mika how good does that deal look Loving Panarin in the ovi slot. Kids got a cannon
No arguments.

I think many here forget -- or weren't around -- with how solid the Rangers were on defense for most of the 1990's and even the 1980's. You didn't see the breakdowns on defense that we have seen the last few years.

And that's the problem: in the past, Hank could cover up those flaws 75% of the time. In other words, if you had 10-12 games like that, you still had a shot to win the majority of them. Now, I'm not sure.

Be interesting to see what Steve Vallicheck (sp.) shows us with Hank this year vs. previous years with the advanced goaltending metrics. Even a slight drop in reaction time and reflexes can turn an outstanding goalie into an ordinary one. Happpened quickly with Brodeur. Hopefully another 1-2 years before it hits Hank.

They're exactly like Renney teams. One line, couple of D who can move the puck, the rest are JAGs.

Maybe when Kravtsov and Chytil get here, we can talk. But right now...They're no way a playoff team.

This one feels a little more like the 05-06 Rangers. I expect them to be bad, but they've got some guys that should keep them afloat and some others that should be long-time staples.

I'm seeing three reasons to pump the brakes here:

1 - Winnipeg and Ottawa have AHL defenses. When we ice Mika, Bread, and Buch, we SHOULD cut through them like that.

2 - A team that stops the first line or nullifies our PP will beat us

3 - Still too many unknowns. What should we really expect from Kakko, Fox, the kids in the A? Who's going to step up for 2c? Where the fuck did Kreider go? What, really, is Vlad Namestnikov? Lias? Howden?

This one feels a little more like the 05-06 Rangers. I expect them to be bad, but they've got some guys that should keep them afloat and some others that should be long-time staples.

I'm seeing three reasons to pump the brakes here:

1 - Winnipeg and Ottawa have AHL defenses. When we ice Mika, Bread, and Buch, we SHOULD cut through them like that.

2 - A team that stops the first line or nullifies our PP will beat us

3 - Still too many unknowns. What should we really expect from Kakko, Fox, the kids in the A? Who's going to step up for 2c? Where the fuck did Kreider go? What, really, is Vlad Namestnikov? Lias? Howden?

Winnipeg is a very good offensive team. Laine was a missed shot at 6 on 4 from tying it. Giving up 40+ shots and tons of chances to a team like Winnipeg is not going to workmost nights, and the Sens are freaking terrible.

It is a small sample size, but the start is encouraging. Need to see a more physical defense and more production from the lines other that the 1st. Think Kakko will take care of the later in spades; he's righthtere. But former I really don't know.But there are some bad to average teams in the East. The Flyers and Islanders are being forecast by some to have great seasons, and I don;t see that at all. Devils have talent, but blowing a 4 goal lead and getting spanked by the Sabres, I dunno. Being a playoff team in the east isn't crazy. Winning the Met or advancing past TBL, TML or the Caps in the playoffs, right now, that would be crazy.

On Pure TALENT...are the Rangers A Playoff Team ?

I believe so yes.

The defense is certainly an issue, but I see them getting better as the season progresses. There are also playoff teams every year that have average to bad defenses that get carried by great offenses. I see the Rangers being in that category this year. I think the offense will be good enough to get them a low seed, but the defense needs a year or two more to get seasoned for a deep run.

We'll go as far as one line, two players really, will take us.

It's been fun, but the D still looks like a work in progress, Chytil and Kravtsov weren't ready, and the biggest thing to me is the realization that Kakko isn't ready to drive a line on his own, not even remotely.

That probably shouldn't be a surprise, but I'm not thinking this guy is a plug and play 60 point guy in his rookie year, though he's probably going to get a shot on PP1 at some point, so I'm not fully ready to commit to my statement until we see that.

Not having any C depth is going to hurt at some point. Panarin and Zib are going to have nights where they do nothing, that line isn't going to score every night, then what?

My guess is that they're a 85-90 point team which should put them short of playoffs.

Also have to see what they look like when Vlad and Kreider are traded.

Them being in the playoffs at TDL would be an awful outcome organizationally. It would surely make them consider keeping Kreider instead of getting a first for him.

"Maybe when Kravtsov and Chytil get here, we can talk. But right now...They're no way a playoff team."

Seems like you did.

Wow, you're right. Wonder why you only quoted half my post?

Anyways, the league is quite different than 14 years ago, and this team isn't good enough to be in the top 8.

One line teams with weak defenses and mediocre goaltending rarely make the playoffs... Maybe if we had vintage Lundqvist it would be another story.

Anyways, the league is quite different than 14 years ago, and this team isn't good enough to be in the top 8.

One line teams with weak defenses and mediocre goaltending rarely make the playoffs... Maybe if we had vintage Lundqvist it would be another story.

I quoted the part where you said the thing you said you didn't say. Seems a bit silly to then, now, explain the thing you didn't say then.

Either way, I think your initial post was right. This team is very Renney-like and may actually make the playoffs because of it. Contending will rely on the next wave of kids, to your point. It was a great observation tbh.

Top 6 in the conference, no. But the rabble that sneak into the 7 and 8 spot, that could happen. There are some bad teams at the low end of the conference. You don't have to be great, just better than the dregs around you.

Top 6 in the conference, no. But the rabble that sneak into the 7 and 8 spot, that could happen. There are some bad teams at the low end of the conference. You don't have to be great, just better than the dregs around you.
Based on 2 games, I'm not ready to say they're better than anyone.

It's a long season.

They're a one line team right now. It's a very good line, but that's not enough. I imagine Kakko will slowly round into form as the season progresses and maybe Chytil and Krav will be here by the deadline. But after 2 games, the only thing we have is one line and one very good defender.

Penguins won two cups that way

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Uh, no. They had 2 lines, and stellar goaltending.

And 2 of the best players in the world. Now I love Sid and Panarin, but Crosby and Malkin they ain't (nevermind Kessel).

Yeah, it was a joke (kinda). The team is not far away from being a playoff team. If they keep getting better and stays healthy it is possible.

Interesting that you love Sid so much tho.. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk