Thread: Hunter S Thompson and the Hells Angels

rebuilding Junior Division

Hunter S Thompson and the Hells Angels

Most people read Hell’s Angels for the lurid stories of sex and drugs. But that misses the point entirely. What’s truly shocking about reading the book today is how well Thompson foresaw the retaliatory, right-wing politics that now goes by the name of Trumpism. After following the motorcycle guys around for months, Thompson concluded that the most striking thing about them was not their hedonism but their “ethic of total retaliation” against a technologically advanced and economically changing America in which they felt they’d been counted out and left behind. Thompson saw the appeal of that retaliatory ethic. He claimed that a small part of every human being longs to burn it all down, especially when faced with great and impersonal powers that seem hostile to your very existence. In the United States, a place of ever greater and more impersonal powers, the ethic of total retaliation was likely to catch on.

What made that outcome almost certain, Thompson thought, was the obliviousness of Berkeley, California, types who, from the safety of their cocktail parties, imagined that they understood and represented the downtrodden. The Berkeley types, Thompson thought, were not going to realize how presumptuous they had been until the downtrodden broke into one of those cocktail parties and embarked on a campaign of rape, pillage, and slaughter. For Thompson, the Angels weren’t important because they heralded a new movement of cultural hedonism, but because they were the advance guard for a new kind of right-wing politics. As Thompson presciently wrote in the Nation piece he later expanded on in Hell’s Angels, that kind of politics is “nearly impossible to deal with” using reason or empathy or awareness-raising or any of the other favorite tools of the left.
    https://www.thenation.com/article/th...er-s-thompson/

--

Hunter S. Thompson AND the Hell's Angels!?! How did I not know this book existed.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Former Moderator Junior Division
    I read this in an Argument class in 08 or 09. I don't remember much of the book - to be honest - but I do remember that the debate was around this:
    What made that outcome almost certain, Thompson thought, was the obliviousness of Berkeley, California, types who, from the safety of their cocktail parties, imagined that they understood and represented the downtrodden. The Berkeley types, Thompson thought, were not going to realize how presumptuous they had been until the downtrodden broke into one of those cocktail parties and embarked on a campaign of rape, pillage, and slaughter.

That’s not because Thompson was the only American writer to warn coastal, left-liberal elites about their disconnection from poor and working-class white voters. Plenty of people issued such warnings: journalists like Thomas Edsall, who for decades has been documenting the rise of “red America,” and scholars like Christopher Lasch, who saw as early as the 1980s that the elite embrace of technological advancement and individual liberation looked like a “revolt” to the mass of Americans, most of whom have been on the losing end of enough “innovations” to be skeptical about the dogmas of progress.
    It was interesting, especially where I went to school, because the difference between "coastal elites" and "working-class white" was right there in the class (though mostly the former). It very much evolved (maybe devolved lol) into a discussion of "this is what your town should do" vs. "fuck off you've never been there."

Either way, think it's an insightful read.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, that's my position 100%. Fuck off, you've never been here.

I think my county would rank as one of the fiftiest poorest in your country, or just outside last I checked. Yet, there's virtually zero crime, has a serious case of everybody wanting to volounteer for everything, and IMO is just a vastly superior place to raise a family vs. Urban centres.

I split my time here and work which is either Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton. That's my comparison.

My issue is that plenty of people want to change towns like mine, it's becoming a specific government policy to push "New Canadians" to rural areas as the population centres are full.

Basically, Toronto will continue to get affluent, educated, South Asians, and we'll get the leftovers.