• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In spite of the talk (from Trouba during last night's pre-game interview) that Trouba and Skeij communicate well on and off the ice, their pairing was simply not working in pre-season. I don't see these switches as and indictment especially if it makes us better.

Yea, a huge indictment isn't a pairing shift. Huge is Brendan Smith to D and Skjei to the press box,

Staal was unequivocally the worst player on the ice last night, on either team. That's my take.

I tend to agree, but you spelled DeAngelo wrong.

Staal had adecent shot share, a goal, no GVA and 2 TKA.

ADA no points, 7 GVA, 0 TKA.

He assisted on the Staal goal.

Neither were good, but Staal got beat with speed all over the place, 1st goal he got smoked.

I forgot about Hajek, he looked like a guy that should have been in the ECHL last year. I'm not sure what they see in him as he's been total garbage since the day he left junior.

He assisted on the Staal goal.

Neither were good, but Staal got beat with speed all over the place, 1st goal he got smoked.

I forgot about Hajek, he looked like a guy that should have been in the ECHL last year. I'm not sure what they see in him as he's been total garbage since the day he left junior.

They probably see Hajek was pretty good in the games he played before he got hurt, and in camp, and in preseason? Just a guess

Guy gets yanked off the first pairing after one game. It is a quick demotion.

Then Trouba must have been brutal, or the guy who sat the last 4 minutes is now a stud. Because by the end of practice:

This is going to take some time to sort out. And realistically it?s likely something that?s in flux for a lot of the season. Regardless of what happens in the early going, Quinn will circle back to Skjei and Trouba and give it another look, though it is undeniable that They haven?t looked good together thus far.

The job on Trouba?s left is really there for anyone still at this point, and most hope that Skjei figures it out and wins that spot. I like Skjei a lot, and I still think he will improve but he?s clearly still struggling to find his game and what his identity is as a defenseman. I?ve never been convinced he?s a guy who should play top pairing role and minutes, but rather the second pairing stuff that he?s paid like. But even that?s difficult due to his defensive game not being where it needs to be to and his offensive production isn?t enough to even it out.

Does anyone else think it?s possible that for at least a fair part of the season, Trouba might not have a set partner and they just rotate the lefties next to him for a while, or stretches here and there?

Not that this is all to relevant now, but if all goes to plan, it?s Miller playing there in the foreseeable future

I think it’s the second game, they won the first. No need to get to alarmed over moving the D around. Hajek and Fox both need minutes and to prove they deserve to be here. Otherwise it’s bring up someone else. This is hopefully Staal’s last year, and the Rangers can dump him to a unsuspecting playoff team at the deadline. Problem is you have to replace him so they need to make sure they have one in place. I’m thinking they wouldn’t be getting a decent dman back if they did get Staal moved. So it’s a from within the system replacement at some point in time.

I think it?s the second game, they won the first. No need to get to alarmed over moving the D around. Hajek and Fox both need minutes and to prove they deserve to be here. Otherwise it?s bring up someone else. This is hopefully Staal?s last year, and the Rangers can dump him to a unsuspecting playoff team at the deadline. Problem is you have to replace him so they need to make sure they have one in place. I?m thinking they wouldn?t be getting a decent dman back if they did get Staal moved. So it?s a from within the system replacement at some point in time.
Staal's NMC will keep him in the lineup for this season and next. He most likely would never agree to be dumped to a team. The only team he might consider would be CAR in that he could play with his bro, but I don't see Carolina showing any interest in him or his cap hit.

Staal's NMC will keep him in the lineup for this season and next. He most likely would never agree to be dumped to a team. The only team he might consider would be CAR in that he could play with his bro, but I don't see Carolina showing any interest in him or his cap hit.

Players on NMC get moved all the time. The obvious places are Minnesota and Carolina, but Staal is still good insurance for a team with cap looking to make a playoff run, which in and of itself could be very attractive for Staal. Might have to take a contract back, and that’s on Gorton to cut a deal. Staal has to know he’s on borrowed time here, and is going to be going somewhere else when his deal expires, so if the Rangers can find him the right deal, right place, he’d be packing. Part of the NMC enticement could be another year or two added to his deal at a new contract number.

If and when the Rangers want to move him he will be moving NMC or not.

Players on NMC get moved all the time. The obvious places are Minnesota and Carolina, but Staal is still good insurance for a team with cap looking to make a playoff run, which in and of itself could be very attractive for Staal. Might have to take a contract back, and that?s on Gorton to cut a deal. Staal has to know he?s on borrowed time here, and is going to be going somewhere else when his deal expires, so if the Rangers can find him the right deal, right place, he?d be packing. Part of the NMC enticement could be another year or two added to his deal at a new contract number.

If and when the Rangers want to move him he will be moving NMC or not.

The rumors of Staal going to okay with his brothers have been around for over 5 years. They're unfounded. Not everyone wants to play with their brother.

Minnesota is almost worse than we are and with no future.

Where is the room for Staal in Carolina stacked D?

Staal is about the only guy we have that can defend the cycle in the zone. He's not going anywhere, nor should he at this point.

The rumors of Staal going to okay with his brothers have been around for over 5 years. They're unfounded. Not everyone wants to play with their brother.

Minnesota is almost worse than we are and with no future.

Where is the room for Staal in Carolina stacked D?

Staal is about the only guy we have that can defend the cycle in the zone. He's not going anywhere, nor should he at this point.

One dman can not defend the cycle by himself, it requires a coordinated group effort, considering usually three opponents are cycling the puck.. Staals bang for his buck is unjustified at this stage of his career. Moving him anywhere before next year and getting rid of his cap hit should be a Gorton priority.