• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

He was skating on his own almost 2 weeks ago aswell, then he wasnt skating anymore, now he’s skating again. They said day-to-day and now its been 3 weeks.

This is 100% a concussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Right

I’m saying that at least he’s skating because it’s a couple of times now seemingly uninterrupted. When he first skated, he skated once, and then stopped and didn’t do so again for a minute.

Now he seems to have skated several times consecutively.

If that’s the case, that’s at least a decent sign.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn's presser was pretty enlightening on Andersson, it was all good until somebody asked him about Howden. Howden fucking sucks, anybody can see this, yet there he is, every night, never a worry.

If they're aware of his ridiculously obvious offensive shortcomings, Quinn isn't letting on.

• Like 1

Quinn's presser was pretty enlightening on Andersson, it was all good until somebody asked him about Howden. Howden fucking sucks, anybody can see this, yet there he is, every night, never a worry.

If they're aware of his ridiculously obvious offensive shortcomings, Quinn isn't letting on.

What he say about Howden?

What he say about Howden?

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/practice-coach-quinn-111819/t-277437422/c-4622442?icmp=int_web_nyr_video_topnav

I mean, we've been over this a million times. But I just don't don't get it. It's weird.

I get that every coach has favorites, every coach has blind spots. It is what it is. But this Howden thing is fucking bizarre.

• Like 1

It’s nothing to do with Lias, Peter.

It’s the idea that Howden has some sort of “bank” from a large sample size, is doing well and is where he should be as a 3c in the NHL. When he quite clearly should be in Hartford with Andersson. The blind spot with Howden is bizarre.

It?s nothing to do with Lias, Peter.

It?s the idea that Howden has some sort of ?bank? from a large sample size, is doing well and is where he should be as a 3c in the NHL. When he quite clearly should be in Hartford with Andersson. The blind spot with Howden is bizarre.

#BreakfastBuddies

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Since when is playing a shitty player over a more shitty player bizarre?

It's the complete lack of honestly and accountability when it comes to Quinn and Howden.

Andersson clearly outplayed him during pre-season and the first two weeks. Howden continued to get more icetime, and moved up the lineup, and played with bonafide top 6 forwards.

• Like 1

It?s nothing to do with Lias, Peter.

It?s the idea that Howden has some sort of ?bank? from a large sample size, is doing well and is where he should be as a 3c in the NHL. When he quite clearly should be in Hartford with Andersson. The blind spot with Howden is bizarre.

Quinn couldn't be more open and honest. He's asking the players to play a certain way, points not indicative of that. He literally says it in the interview.

So with Zib out, he's got Strome, Cheats, Howden and Lias down the middle and if he slotted McKegg over Howden and Lias (based on who's playing best), we'd be having a heart attack about not playing the kids.

So you're saying it's not about Lias, but in reality it is about Lias because with Zib hurt you had 2 "developing" players to choose from. Howden goes down, Lias goes to 3C... Unless you want to see a vet as the long term solution there this season.

I mean the presser lays it all out clear as day. It's like the press teed it up for him. He's never going to say "Howden blows" but he clearly sent a message to Lias by saying he wasn't going to move a player who's playing the right way out, for a player who's not...just to cater to that player based on draft pedigree.

I don't know if Quinn is a good coach or a bad one, I'm actually leaning towards "not good", but the narrative that he has a different set of standards for Howden is bunk. He doesn't have long term options at 3C, if you want to see "the kids", until Zib is back.

It's the complete lack of honestly and accountability when it comes to Quinn and Howden.

Andersson clearly outplayed him during pre-season and the first two weeks. Howden continued to get more icetime, and moved up the lineup, and played with bonafide top 6 forwards.

Lias has never outplayed anyone.

Quinn couldn't be more open and honest. He's asking the players to play a certain way, points not indicative of that. He literally says it in the interview.

So with Zib out, he's got Strome, Cheats, Howden and Lias down the middle and if he slotted McKegg over Howden and Lias (based on who's playing best), we'd be having a heart attack about not playing the kids.

So you're saying it's not about Lias, but in reality it is about Lias because with Zib hurt you had 2 "developing" players to choose from. Howden goes down, Lias goes to 3C... Unless you want to see a vet as the long term solution there this season.

I mean the presser lays it all out clear as day. It's like the press teed it up for him. He's never going to say "Howden blows" but he clearly sent a message to Lias by saying he wasn't going to move a player who's playing the right way out, for a player who's not...just to cater to that player based on draft pedigree.

I don't know if Quinn is a good coach or a bad one, I'm actually leaning towards "not good", but the narrative that he has a different set of standards for Howden is bunk. He doesn't have long term options at 3C, if you want to see "the kids", until Zib is back. Lias has never outplayed anyone.

The core problem.

Quinn was fair and honest in his presser regarding Andersson, whether anyone agrees or disagrees. I'm satisfied with his explanations, and agree that Andersson needs more ice time in general. I would have liked to see it here first after the shape he showed up in and the preseason he had, but it's moot now. His play declined the last week regardless of ice time.

With regards to Howden, he needs more seasoning with a chance to work on his game, specifically on the offensive side of the puck. He's been fine defensively and positionally sound for the most part in his own zone, but he has absolutely no idea what to do with the puck in the OZ when he gets it. It's a black hole and it doesn't belong in the top 9. He'd be fine on the 4th line, but like Andersson, is that really going to help him in the long run and maximize his potential? Put him in the A with an opportunity to play a more offensive minded role. He has played all of 5 AHL games and it wasn't even in this organization.

I don't know if Quinn is a good coach or a bad one, I'm actually leaning towards "not good", but the narrative that he has a different set of standards for Howden is bunk. He doesn't have long term options at 3C, if you want to see "the kids", until Zib is back.

It’s blatantly obvious Quinn has a liking for Howden.

He’s been one of the worst players on the Rangers for a full calendar year by virtually any metric you care to look at, yet here he is with the full confidence of the coach. He was even bumped to 2c when Zib went down, despite being a total anchor.

I think you have a point though. Carpiniello said something similar today.

It’s not so much about being “good”. It’s about doing what you’re coached to do at all times. And Howden excels at that apparently, and so the coach loves him. It’s understandable.

I think he should be in Hartford with Andersson because all evidence suggests he isn’t ready.

Let’s not not pretend there aren’t guys like Nieves who would be easily interchangeable with Howden for a stint.

It’s blatantly obvious Quinn has a liking for Howden.

He’s been one of the worst players on the Rangers for a full calendar year by virtually any metric you care to look at, yet here he is with the full confidence of the coach. He was even bumped to 2c when Zib went down, despite being a total anchor.

I think you have a point though. Carpiniello said something similar today.

It’s not so much about being “good”. It’s about doing what you’re coached to do at all times. And Howden excels at that apparently, and so the coach loves him. It’s understandable.

I think he should be in Hartford with Andersson because all evidence suggests he isn’t ready.

Let’s not not pretend there aren’t guys like Nieves who would be easily interchangeable with Howden for a stint.

I don't disagree with any of that. But Nieves is 26 and we're "playin the kids!"

So we can't really have it both ways, was my earlier point.

Whether or not “playing the kids” is the main tenet of operation, he still has to play the best player and deploy ice time as best he can, based on what options he has available to him.

Neither Howden nor Lias has been particularly good. I think we’ve seen Howden be only slightly better than Lias, or at least play closer to his own ceiling than Lias has. I do feel that Quinn feels he’s gotten more out of Howden than he has out of Lias and that Lias can and should be better than Howden. That I think is the message Quinn is trying to send. I also think it’s clear that Lias didn’t respond well to this, and it became counterproductive to continue employing this tactic. It was getting nowhere.

It’s also entirely possible that at some point we see Howden go to Hartford too eventually