• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

For the most part the only time he’s noticeable is when he’s 2 steps behind everyone else and hooking his man as he blows by kaapo. He has 8 points at even strength.

I know some guys get defensive or upset if you call out these truths but it is what it is. No one wants him to fail or is booing him off the ice. We all know his age. I just think it’s painfully obvious he’s a boy among men and age is only part of the reason. Every single thing he does is slow and without conviction sans the once every 10 games as Pete said. If he were doing everything at an NHL speed and conviction I would feel so much better. I’m just hoping this is mostly due to intimidation and being uncomfortable in both the US and NY but in the same sense I’m not too excited if a fragile nature is the explanation for this as well.

I can't give you any more rep points today! :LOL:

So here: :+1:

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking that we are completely talking past each other here(again).

As I stated, I am using production as a metric for some of the naysayers who are saying "Wow. I wish we were able to draft a franchise player with the #2 overall pick in last year's draft". My issue is that there is no way to possibly tell if he is going to be a "franchise player" whatever that means.

Is everything that you laid out, spot on? Yeah, he looks pretty invisible most nights. Having said that, I don't think anyone has watched enough film of Tyler Seguin or Patrick Marleau their rookie years to determine if they did not have the same struggles adapting the NHL game. If you have please feel free to speak up.

Time will tell.

Marleau, no.

Seguin, yea. I didn't need to watch film, I was 30 when he was drafted LMAO.

The thing about Seguin, specifically is that he always had speed and a shot. 2 Things Kakko doesn't. Same with Marleau, and speed. When you see what Kakko is today, and where the NHL is going, it doesn't look good.

When players are young, you see they have the tools but they need to learn the game. With Kakko, right now, not even the tools are there.

Marleau, no.

Seguin, yea. I didn't need to watch film, I was 30 when he was drafted LMAO.

The thing about Seguin, specifically is that he always had speed and a shot. 2 Things Kakko doesn't. Same with Marleau, and speed. When you see what Kakko is today, and where the NHL is going, it doesn't look good.

When players are young, you see they have the tools but they need to learn the game. With Kakko, right now, not even the tools are there.

Jagr didn’t have speed and a shot either. Kakko reminds me if Jagr in the way he can dangle. Surprised noone mentioned his ability to stick handle in traffic

Jagr didn?t have speed and a shot either. Kakko reminds me if Jagr in the way he can dangle. Surprised noone mentioned his ability to stick handle in traffic
Probably because I haven't seen it lol?

Jagr came into the league in 1990. You can't really make a comparison.

Jagr didn’t have speed and a shot either. Kakko reminds me if Jagr in the way he can dangle. Surprised noone mentioned his ability to stick handle in traffic

That is definitely one of Kakko's strengths. He is also pretty good at keeping possession once he has the puck. He just hasn't been able to figure out what to do with it when he has control. A lot of times he shoots right into shin pads when he chooses to shoot or eventually just loses the puck after having it for so long.

Probably because I haven't seen it lol?

Jagr came into the league in 1990. You can't really make a comparison.

Its cause you’re watching with anti-kakko colored glasses.

And whats with you? Every time someone brings up a point you always counter with “cant compaer”, “apples and oranges”. Does it matter when Jagr came into the league? He still played hockey, not baseball. In the most clutch and grab era, nonetheless

That is definitely one of Kakko's strengths. He is also pretty good at keeping possession once he has the puck. He just hasn't been able to figure out what to do with it when he has control. A lot of times he shoots right into shin pads when he chooses to shoot or eventually just loses the puck after having it for so long.

And thats why I say gotta give him a year or two to figure the league out.

Its cause you?re watching with anti-kakko colored glasses.

And whats with you? Every time someone brings up a point you always counter with ?cant compaer?, ?apples and oranges?. Does it matter when Jagr came into the league? He still played hockey, not baseball. In the most clutch and grab era, nonetheless

Yes. You're totally right. I want our #2 pick to be awful. I'm totally anti Kakko.

I'm sure you realize that's silly.

Look, hockey was different in 1991. The game is all about soeed.

And Kakko isn't Jagr.

I dunno, here's a couple of guys who know something talking about how much faster the game is. Kinda have to take them at their word.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/could-wayne-gretzky-mario-lemieux-and-bobby-orr-play-todays-nhl

Keirik's post had me thinking a little bit, so I Googled and found this article below which I think does an amazing job of articulating the good and the bad about Kakko. It's written by Adam Herman whom I put alot of value into his opinions.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2020/2/9/21127931/youre-allowed-to-be-a-little-anxious-about-kaapo-kakko-rangers-barkov-dahlin-pastrnak

Back to the utilization discussion, I did notice Kakko considerably more when he skated with Kreider and Chytil last night, even though it looked like Quinn was mixing it up all night long; I do think that there is merit to the conversation and probably should be explored a little bit more down the stretch.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20192020&game=20985&view=limited#shiftchart

Finally is it just me or does Jonathan Toews(as great as he is), look wildly out of place sitting at that table in that interview that Pete posted; which really doesn't add much context to his point, other than "the game is faster today"?

• Like 1

Finally is it just me or does Jonathan Toews(as great as he is), look wildly out of place sitting at that table in that interview that Pete posted; which really doesn't add much context to his point, other than "the game is faster today"?

Hell yeah. I love Toews but he's not even remotely on the same level as the rest of that table. I'm assuming this took place in Chicago and they just figured to get the Hawks captain there lol

Here's a question for ya while we are talking about Kakko. This offseason, whoever wins 1st overall. Do you offer them Kakko straight up for that pick? Think it would even be accepted?

No and no. Not even worth offering because it would get rejected before you could get the words out.

Lafreniere is a higher class prospect than Hughes or Kakko was last year. More "can't miss".

Here's a question for ya while we are talking about Kakko. This offseason, whoever wins 1st overall. Do you offer them Kakko straight up for that pick? Think it would even be accepted?

Nope.

Although I do like the idea of the rangers packaging their two first rounders and moving up to the top 10 or ideally top 5

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk