• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

I think Quinn was asked directly if there was any danger of Buch missing the tournament and he said he didn't think we were at that point, or something to that effect. Trying to find a link, but he made it sound like it was precautionary and not serious.

I got ya, bud.

https://theathletic.com/1938006/2020/07/19/after-a-week-of-camp-igor-shesterkin-has-made-rangers-biggest-decision-easy/

Speaking of which, Pavel Buchnevich (who happened to be a passenger in the car when Shesterkin crashed) sat out Sunday’s scrimmage. He was hurt at some point during Saturday’s practice and left. Though the Rangers are not allowed to give injury/illness updates per NHL protocol designed to protect the privacy of Covid-tested players, Quinn was asked specifically whether Buchnevich’s participation in the tournament is in jeopardy.

“I can say that it not the case,” he replied.

With Buchnevich out, Kaapo Kakko took his spot on the right of Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad and scored a pair of goals. Julien Gauthier – whose speed has been quite apparent and on display this week, moved up to Kakko’s spot with Phil Di Giuseppe and Filip Chytil, and also scored twice.

Let's also jump on board with Kakko apparently finding some chemistry with Kreider and Zibanejad, and Gauthier apparently looking good.

Think Buch can swing up and take Fast's spot on that Panarin line?

• Like 1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few excerpts from practice, courtesy of Carp

In Thursday’s drills, facing a 2-on-none against Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider, Lundqvist had to slide to the right post to take away a Kreider shot, then exploded, a la Mike Richter, across the goal line to rob Zibanejad on the return pass to the left post, severely and successfully testing his 38-year-old groin.

Shesterkin provided his own bit of interesting moments. During a penalty-kill drill, Shesterkin caught a shot in his trapper and punted the puck, a la Ray Guy, out of the zone. Not much hang time, but quite effective. Moments later he grabbed a loose puck in the slot and fired it the length of the ice and on goal. Georgiev made the save.

On K'Andre Miller:

Miller, at 6-5 and a tremendous skater, is surely noticeable. At one point the other day, Kakko came down on him, tried to go wide then outside-in by putting the puck through Miller’s skates. Miller simply ignored the puck and rode Kakko out of the play. Still a bit raw, you can see Miller close on opponents quickly, then even more quickly, move the puck and jump into the play. He also has a great shot – he ripped one past Lundqvist and in off the crossbar.

He’s also a sponge and getting plenty of one-on-one time with Quinn, assistant coach Gord Murphy, and his future teammates.

On Buch

I said this last week, but one of the guys who looks really good in “camp” is Buchnevich, who said he’s a lot more comfortable now with his linemates, his teammates and his coaches.

“I think there’s much more of a trust factor with our staff. I think he understands how highly we think of him. I think he understands that everything we’re asking him to do is in his best interests, which in turn is in our best interests. I just think it’s the natural evolution of a career. I think this guy’s been highly talented, he’s been a great player for a long time, and he went through some growing pains in the National Hockey League that a lot of guys go through. I give him a lot of credit. He’s a lot of fun to be around. We have a lot of laughs with him. He’s very coachable right now and he wants to please and he wants to win. And we wouldn’t be here without him.”

A few excerpts from practice, courtesy of Carp

On K'Andre Miller:

On Buch

Really interesting bit on Buch, IMO. Sounds like the coaching staff loves him, which is funny because he's one of the few guys who continually finds himself in the doghouse. It's really nice to hear the coach say those things about the guy. I love the the way Quinn handles his players. From the way he speaks about them, it feels like he has a close relationship with all of them.

I love the the way Quinn handles his players. From the way he speaks about them, it feels like he has a close relationship with all of them.

Me too ThirtyONE - and how quickly the love-fest with devolve when we get back to playing and Quinn sits guys or doesn't sit guys...it's a no-win proposition for him unless of course, we keep winning. I believe in Quinn.

Who comes onto the bench to replace Ruff? I missed that convo in this thread.