• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be missing something...or crazy...(most likely the case)...but I like Howden's game.

Yeah, he sucks at faceoffs, and yes, he's somewhat limited in his skill set...RIGHT NOW.

But I feel he's got some serious potential, and could very well be that #2 or #3 center that we've needed since Sergei Nemchinov days.

He has good size, and decent speed.

He can obviously shoot pretty well (last night was a good example)

He's responsible in his own end of the ice

He blocks shots

He appears to see the ice fairly well

The coaching staff is behind his progress 100%

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I like his game, and I think he's going to be a solid Ranger for a long time.

I'm looking forward to seeing him hit the scoresheet a lot more as this season progresses.

I thought the way Chytil took that breakaway pass from behind himself was sooo impressive. It's really too bad he didn't score, that would have been highlight reel stuff. He continues putting Quinn coins in his piggy bank every game and it's great to watch. I was critical of Chytils game since he started last season and he has proved me wrong. That kid is going to be great.

I thought the way Chytil took that breakaway pass from behind himself was sooo impressive. It's really too bad he didn't score, that would have been highlight reel stuff. He continues putting Quinn coins in his piggy bank every game and it's great to watch. I was critical of Chytils game since he started last season and he has proved me wrong. That kid is going to be great.

Agreed. I haven't been a huge fan of Chytil, didn't think he really had the smarts, but he's making me eat crow. He's consistently in the right spots, making good plays, and bringing effort.

I must be missing something...or crazy...(most likely the case)...but I like Howden's game.

Yeah, he sucks at faceoffs, and yes, he's somewhat limited in his skill set...RIGHT NOW.

But I feel he's got some serious potential, and could very well be that #2 or #3 center that we've needed since Sergei Nemchinov days.

He has good size, and decent speed.

He can obviously shoot pretty well (last night was a good example)

He's responsible in his own end of the ice

He blocks shots

He appears to see the ice fairly well

The coaching staff is behind his progress 100%

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I like his game, and I think he's going to be a solid Ranger for a long time.

I'm looking forward to seeing him hit the scoresheet a lot more as this season progresses.

I'll never view him as a 2C and I don't think the Rangers should ever view him that way. He had one good game in the last dozen. Start doing it consistently and I'll try to think of him as more than a 4C. The things I bolded in your post I disagree with. I don't think he shoots real well, struggles with the puck on his stick, and doesn't really see the ice great. He does cycle well and he seems to know where he's supposed to be and can bury the ones out in front sometimes which describes the NHL's prototypical 4C with 3C upside.

I'll never view him as a 2C and I don't think the Rangers should ever view him that way. He had one good game in the last dozen. Start doing it consistently and I'll try to think of him as more than a 4C. The things I bolded in your post I disagree with. I don't think he shoots real well, struggles with the puck on his stick, and doesn't really see the ice great. He does cycle well and he seems to know where he's supposed to be and can bury the ones out in front sometimes which describes the NHL's prototypical 4C with 3C upside.

I think it's hard to really rate or get a good feel for a kid that's barely out of the starting gate as a pro, Kev. I hear your points, and I can see where you may disagree on a couple of them. I just seem to get a good feel for this kid, and I think Quinn has kinda taken him under his wing, knowing or feeling the same type of thing.

When I mentioned that "he sees the ice fairly well", I kinda meant that he's pretty aware of his surroundings, especially in the defensive zone. He does seem to have himself in the right place a lot of the time...even better than Brady Skjei...but that's another story for another time.

I've been digging the progress of Howden, and I do think he'll take more time to develop than some of the others, but then again that's in part to the position he plays. He's also never short on effort, and that's something that goes really far in my eyes. He's a gamer, and guys like that should be contagious. Maybe he can breathe on Kreider before every game! ;)

Quinn confirms it will be KZB tomorrow vs Carolina. Centers will be Zib, Strome, Chytil and Howden, so that has to be Howden on the 4th. Finally we?ll see Kakko with someone other than Howden.

I would go:

KZB

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko

Lemieux - Strome - Fast

Smith - Howden - boo (?)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quinn confirms it will be KZB tomorrow vs Carolina. Centers will be Zib, Strome, Chytil and Howden, so that has to be Howden on the 4th. Finally we’ll see Kakko with someone other than Howden.

I would go:

KZB

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko

Lemieux - Strome - Fast

Smith - Howden - boo (?)

Pretty sure he's not going to break up Panarin and Stome.

Would likely be Panarin Strome Fast, Pepe Cheats KK

Pretty sure he's not going to break up Panarin and Stome.

Would likely be Panarin Strome Fast, Pepe Cheats KK

Quinn listed those 4 as centers.

Lines in practice today: (no Chytil)

KZB

Panarin - Strone - Fast

Lemieux - Howden - Kakko

Haley - Boo - Smith/Fast

• 1 month later...
Bread is tied in goals (24) with Conner McDavid halfway through the season. Incredible. The hot bread has risen !

That was my 1,000th post. Yea for me.

You know whats more impressive? Panarin is 7th in the league in +/- (he?s +21) I know its a dumb stat, but thats still crazy impressive on this team. McDavid is -2, Draisatl -16 and Kane -2.

Panarin has arguably been the best player in the league so far this season.

• Like 1

You know whats more impressive? Panarin is 7th in the league in +/- (he’s +21) I know its a dumb stat, but thats still crazy impressive on this team. McDavid is -2, Draisatl -16 and Kane -2.

Panarin has arguably been the best player in the league so far this season.

if this Is a playoff team, he'd be in the mvp discussion