• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NY Rangers to split up line with Artemi Panarin and Ryan Strome; start Igor Shesterkin

TARRYTOWN - For more than three months, there’s been one constant in the New York Rangers’ lineup.

Artemi Panarin and Ryan Strome have been an inseparable pair.

Line combinations have changed frequently, but there has been reluctance to mess with the chemistry between the Blueshirts’ two leading scorers.

Until now.

Recently, Panarin and Strome have been flanked on the right wing by Jesper Fast. Panarin and Fast remained on the wings for Tuesday’s practice, but 20-year-old Filip Chytil was elevated to play center in what has been Strome’s spot almost all season.

It appears Strome is ticketed for the third line, where he’ll play with Phil Di Giuseppe on the left wing and either Pavel Buchnevich or rookie Kaapo Kakko on the right wing.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/02/04/ny-rangers-likely-split-up-line-artemi-panarin-and-ryan-strome/4651443002/

Looks like Quinn sees what's obvious. Strome hasn't produced with Panarin for a month now. Chytil's effort every shift is being rewarded and it looks like he will get a chance to prove he's ready unless Quinn pivots between now and tomorrow night. Chytil may or may not be ready, but you have to do it before the trade deadline so you can make a more informative decision about potentially selling high on Strome.

NY Rangers to split up line with Artemi Panarin and Ryan Strome; start Igor Shesterkin

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/02/04/ny-rangers-likely-split-up-line-artemi-panarin-and-ryan-strome/4651443002/

Looks like Quinn sees what's obvious. Strome hasn't produced with Panarin for a month now. Chytil's effort every shift is being rewarded and it looks like he will get a chance to prove he's ready unless Quinn pivots between now and tomorrow night. Chytil may or may not be ready, but you have to do it before the trade deadline so you can make a more informative decision about potentially selling high on Strome.

Strome, even while not producing, still has 7 points in his last 10 games. Chytil has 7 points in his last 26 games. I'm ok with shaking shit up but this clearly isn't a reward for Chytil's work...it's just an effort to somehow produce more scoring especially without Kreider in the lineup. I'd be shocked to see Strome traded at this point. I'm sure GM's across the league are not 100% sure what he is yet either and won't be offering any type of deal that make the Rangers want to deal him.

Strome, even while not producing, still has 7 points in his last 10 games. Chytil has 7 points in his last 26 games. I'm ok with shaking shit up but this clearly isn't a reward for Chytil's work...it's just an effort to somehow produce more scoring especially without Kreider in the lineup. I'd be shocked to see Strome traded at this point. I'm sure GM's across the league are not 100% sure what he is yet either and won't be offering any type of deal that make the Rangers want to deal him.

Pretty much spot on. Strome is an RFA. There's pretty much zero reason to trade him this year.

Chytil is on pace for 30 points. He's obviously not a top six center, today.

They've been pretty shitty coming out of the break. Games against the Red Wings don't hide anything.

It could also be:

Strome has 7 points (1 goal) in 12 games since January 1, and Chytil has 4 points (2 goals) in those 12 games, or

Strome has 3 points in the last 8 games and Chytil has 3 points in his last 8 games

Picking 10 games and 26 games is a pretty arbitrary time slice to use when the most recent data to work with shows the gap hasn't been all that large. Either way, points alone is not nearly a good enough indicator of how the two have looked on the ice recently. The points and production need to be weighted against ice time, PP time, linemates, and effort. Strome plays with Panarin, Chytil plays with Howden. I'd say that's a bit of a difference. 1 goal in 12 games and 0 goals in the last 9 games on a top line with Panarin is unacceptable. Strome gets significantly more ice time and PP time than Chytil. Strome has been lazy on numerous occasions the last few weeks, while Chytil has busted his butt on essentially every shift. I think Strome dogging it in the final minute of the CBJ game to cost the team the game has stuck in the back of Quinn's mind, and Strome hasn't done anything of note since then to shake it. Then you add in the need to evaluate Chytil as much as you can before making a very key decision about Strome either at the deadline or in the summer, and it's become a no brainer to experiment.

• Like 1

...Then you add in the need to evaluate Chytil as much as you can before making a very key decision about Strome either at the deadline or in the summer, and it's become a no brainer to experiment.

Where did I say Chytil could be a top 2 center right now? ...

Ahem.

It could also be:

Strome has 7 points (1 goal) in 12 games since January 1, and Chytil has 4 points (2 goals) in those 12 games, or

Strome has 3 points in the last 8 games and Chytil has 3 points in his last 8 games

Picking 10 games and 26 games is a pretty arbitrary time slice to use when the most recent data to work with shows the gap hasn't been all that large. Either way, points alone is not nearly a good enough indicator of how the two have looked on the ice recently. The points and production need to be weighted against ice time, PP time, linemates, and effort. Strome plays with Panarin, Chytil plays with Howden. I'd say that's a bit of a difference. 1 goal in 12 games and 0 goals in the last 9 games on a top line with Panarin is unacceptable. Strome gets significantly more ice time and PP time than Chytil. Strome has been lazy on numerous occasions the last few weeks, while Chytil has busted his butt on essentially every shift. I think Strome dogging it in the final minute of the CBJ game to cost the team the game has stuck in the back of Quinn's mind, and Strome hasn't done anything of note since then to shake it. Then you add in the need to evaluate Chytil as much as you can before making a very key decision about Strome either at the deadline or in the summer, and it's become a no brainer to experiment.

SPOT ON RMC. His game against Dallas was brutal also.

It could also be:

Look, I'm ok with shaking shit up on a bad team that's playing badly. You've taken your Strome agenda to FatFrancesa levels. Is he the perfect player? No. Has he been consistently better than Chytil all season long? Yes. You're speaking like Chytil has earned this as a reward but the results have not been there. I really hope that Chytil takes this opportunity and steps up his game. It will definitely benefit the Rangers long-term. There has been nothing so far this season that makes me feel that this is going to happen consistently this year though.

Everybody also forgets that Strome was the best Ranger the last 15 games or so last season as well, without Panarin. He'll be fine because he's very versatile and smart.

Look, I'm ok with shaking shit up on a bad team that's playing badly. You've taken your Strome agenda to FatFrancesa levels. Is he the perfect player? No. Has he been consistently better than Chytil all season long? Yes. You're speaking like Chytil has earned this as a reward but the results have not been there. I really hope that Chytil takes this opportunity and steps up his game. It will definitely benefit the Rangers long-term. There has been nothing so far this season that makes me feel that this is going to happen consistently this year though.

Everybody also forgets that Strome was the best Ranger the last 15 games or so last season as well, without Panarin. He'll be fine because he's very versatile and smart.

If wanting the Rangers to evaluate what they've got to make the most informed decisions going into the trade deadline and summer is an agenda, then yes, you got me. I have an agenda. But it's not a Strome agenda. I would argue you are the one with a Strome agenda with your cherry picked stats and failure to defend his recent play in must win games. Quinn apparently agrees with my assessment of Strome's recent performance, as well as Chytil's effort level.

I'm on record saying I would be okay keeping Strome for 3 years under certain conditions. The conditions are contingent on not getting blown away with an offer at the deadline or not having a cheaper player (Chytil) who can fill that gap to free up money elsewhere on the roster. Both of these conditions are reasonable to consider when deciding what to do with Strome.

If wanting the Rangers to evaluate what they've got to make the most informed decisions going into the trade deadline and summer is an agenda, then yes, you got me. I have an agenda. But it's not a Strome agenda. I would argue you are the one with a Strome agenda with your cherry picked stats and failure to defend his recent play in must win games. Quinn apparently agrees with my assessment of Strome's recent performance, as well as Chytil's effort level.

I'm on record saying I would be okay keeping Strome for 3 years under certain conditions. The conditions are contingent on not getting blown away with an offer at the deadline or not having a cheaper player (Chytil) who can fill that gap to free up money elsewhere on the roster. Both of these conditions are reasonable to consider when deciding what to do with Strome.

Having an agenda meaning that you've been all over Strome on numerous threads constantly bringing up his lack of effort on his backcheck in one game. I'm certain Quinn has addressed it with him and has moved one. Again, changing lines up means shit isn't working. It's not indicative, necessarily, of one player's poor performance. Numbers are numbers. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're cherry-picked. Chytil has not earned a promotion based on his play.

I'll remind you of the bolded point next time any line shakeup happens. Clearly that means someone else has earned the promotion to the higher line...

Having an agenda meaning that you've been all over Strome on numerous threads constantly bringing up his lack of effort on his backcheck in one game. I'm certain Quinn has addressed it with him and has moved one. Again, changing lines up means shit isn't working. It's not indicative, necessarily, of one player's poor performance. Numbers are numbers. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're cherry-picked. Chytil has not earned a promotion based on his play.

I'll remind you of the bolded point next time any line shakeup happens. Clearly that means someone else has earned the promotion to the higher line...

I don't think I've mentioned that play more than one other time outside of that specific game thread until today. A lack of effort in other games since then has turned it into a legitimate talking point instead of a one off. Numerous players on this team have been put through the wringer on this board when they aren't playing well or aren't giving 100%. Why should it be different for Strome?

And yes, the time slices you chose were cherry picked. You conveniently dodged anything I said regarding ice time and linemates.

Pretty spot on. People have been rooting for Strome to fail since we got him, and he just keeps... Not failing.

Hard to call out his play in "must win games".... This team stinks and no games are "must win". The writing has been on the all all year.

One of the few players performing on a bad team, it's kind of sad the folks are so eager to rush a rebuild that they want a 20 year old 25 point player to center the top line when he's not even a great third line center.

Pretty spot on. People have been rooting for Strome to fail since we got him, and he just keeps... Not failing.

Hard to call out his play in "must win games".... This team stinks and no games are "must win". The writing has been on the all all year.

One of the few players performing on a bad team, it's kind of sad the folks are so eager to rush a rebuild that they want a 20 year old 25 point player to center the top line when he's not even a great third line center

I like Strome but to be fair he has crashed back to earth for a good while now. It?s funny the second Panarin cooled off a little bit Strome disappeared.