• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

I find the dumping on Staal almost completely unfounded. Is he a 5.5 million dollar defenseman anymore? No. He is probably closer to a 3 million dollar third pairing defenseman, but he is probably worth even more than that to a young team like the Rangers. He provides a veteran presence, leadership, and professionalism on the blueline. He is also very capable of making solid decisions and plays.

Don't blame Staal for being asked to play bigger minutes for too long into his career. Blame management for not finding viable replacements soon enough to take those minutes.

What I find the funniest is that Staal is the left handed defenseman I still trust most on this team to be the soundest positionally. Yet he is the one so many Rangers fans choose to lay into. Mind boggling.

• Like 1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One dman can not defend the cycle by himself, it requires a coordinated group effort, considering usually three opponents are cycling the puck.. Staals bang for his buck is unjustified at this stage of his career. Moving him anywhere before next year and getting rid of his cap hit should be a Gorton priority.

Yes, that goes without saying. Thanks for the obvious. The point is, the other 5 D actually can't (or won't) do it.

He's highly likely to finish his contract here, being that he has a NMC.

Yes, that goes without saying. Thanks for the obvious. The point is, the other 5 D actually can't (or won't) do it.

He's highly likely to finish his contract here, being that he has a NMC.

To suggest Staal is the only defensemen who can or will defend against the cycle is a little out there.

To suggest Staal is the only defensemen who can or will defend against the cycle is a little out there.
And yet here we are with Skjei and ADA confirmed disasters in their own zone (right now), Trouba pretty much unknown on this team on that side of the puck... And 2 TBD rookies in Fox and Hajek.

Then there's the only positionally sound defensement who's still tough to play against below the hashmarks... And he's getting run out of town...

And yet here we are with Skjei and ADA confirmed disasters in their own zone (right now), Trouba pretty much unknown on this team on that side of the puck... And 2 TBD rookies in Fox and Hajek.

Then there's the only positionally sound defensement who's still tough to play against below the hashmarks... And he's getting run out of town...

Where we are, is you said Staal is not the only defensemen who can or will defend against the cycle. To say Quinn is standing on his bench watching 5 defensemen who can’t and or won’t defend the cycle again is out there. They have played two games, one where they only gave up one goal, and another gave up 4 against one of the better groups of forwards in the NHL. NHL defensemen get beat all the time or other teams wouldn’t score. Even Marc Staal who on a two on two against Winnipeg, dogged it back to his net and got beat. I’m not sitting here saying the defence is great, because it does need work, like all teams at the start of a season.

Rangers are in a rebuild, Staal’s cap hit, return on investment, and age make him the next guy on the block. Rangers have more kids coming on D next year, Staal is the expendable guy. No secret the Rangers could use some more cap room, but the more likely scenario is no other team will want him at his price, and the Rangers will be stuck with him.

Where we are, is you said Staal is not the only defensemen who can or will defend against the cycle. To say Quinn is standing on his bench watching 5 defensemen who can’t and or won’t defend the cycle again is out there. They have played two games, one where they only gave up one goal, and another gave up 4 against one of the better groups of forwards in the NHL. NHL defensemen get beat all the time or other teams wouldn’t score. Even Marc Staal who on a two on two against Winnipeg, dogged it back to his net and got beat. I’m not sitting here saying the defence is great, because it does need work, like all teams at the start of a season.

Rangers are in a rebuild, Staal’s cap hit, return on investment, and age make him the next guy on the block. Rangers have more kids coming on D next year, Staal is the expendable guy. No secret the Rangers could use some more cap room, but the more likely scenario is no other team will want him at his price, and the Rangers will be stuck with him.

I don't know what team you're watching, but this team can't defend, couldn't last year, and only added Trouba....So no, it's not "out there".

As I said, look for Staal to finish his contract here, might be moved at the TDL in his UFA year depending on what the team is doing. He, and Lundy, are here for the duration of their deals.

From this small sampling the second line is struggling to find any consistency and chemistry. I'd love to see Andersson put a lot of work in on his faceoffs. If he can do that he would (IMO) be a better fit between Kreider and Kakko. It's only 2 games but their analytics are bad. Just want to get a look at him at 2C. Faceoffs are the only thing keeping Strome there.

I don't know what team you're watching, but this team can't defend, couldn't last year, and only added Trouba....So no, it's not "out there".

As I said, look for Staal to finish his contract here, might be moved at the TDL in his UFA year depending on what the team is doing. He, and Lundy, are here for the duration of their deals.[/

You made the statement Staal is the only defensemen that can or will defend the cycle which is the post of yours. That is out there. We discussed a specific area of defence, not can’t defend so not sure why your switching the topic. You want to discuss Staal shooting lightning bolts out his az defending the cycle by himself while his teammates stand around because they can’t or won’t defend the cycle, with the coach looking on totally ignoring it let me know. That’s where this started.

Who gives a crap about last year and can’t defend, it means squat this year. They won their first two games with two rookies on defence. One of the youngest teams in the league and your complaining they can’t defend and comparing to last year. What do you expect shutout’s every night? They obviously played well enough to win. At this point in time just win. And clean up deficiencies and get better as you go along.

Staal being moved is all up to Gorton and he’s most definitely a guy they can move without worrying about getting burnt. Like all deals right opportunity at a opportune time. NMC’s get ignored often, see Milan Lucic. Was anyone less moveable than him? If Staal figured the grass is greener he’s outa here. That being said I think low demand and less opportunity for Gorton to move him will have more impact on him not being moved, than getting him to agree. If a team wants him bad enough they will convince him.

As I said, look for Staal to finish his contract here, might be moved at the TDL in his UFA year depending on what the team is doing. He, and Lundy, are here for the duration of their deals.

You made the statement Staal is the only defensemen that can or will defend the cycle which is the post of yours. That is out there. We discussed a specific area of defence, not can’t defend so not sure why your switching the topic. You want to discuss Staal shooting lightning bolts out his az defending the cycle by himself while his teammates stand around because they can’t or won’t defend the cycle, with the coach looking on totally ignoring it let me know. That’s where this started.

Who gives a crap about last year and can’t defend, it means squat this year. They won their first two games with two rookies on defence. One of the youngest teams in the league and your complaining they can’t defend and comparing to last year. What do you expect shutout’s every night? They obviously played well enough to win. At this point in time just win. And clean up deficiencies and get better as you go along.

Staal being moved is all up to Gorton and he’s most definitely a guy they can move without worrying about getting burnt. Like all deals right opportunity at a opportune time. NMC’s get ignored often, see Milan Lucic. Was anyone less moveable than him? If Staal figured the grass is greener he’s outa here. That being said I think low demand and less opportunity for Gorton to move him will have more impact on him not being moved, than getting him to agree. If a team wants him bad enough they will convince him.

I think you're misunderstanding. I didn't say that Staal is a one man wrecking crew on D. I said he's got the most sound positioning and knows how to defend the cycle. I didn't say he does it alone, I simply said the other defensemen either can't, or just don't for whatever reason. I'm not sure how you can watch a game like the one against Winnipeg and see Skjei and ADA all over the place and think they're solid defenders.

Now, that's not a complaint (something else you're just making up or confused about), it's an observation. I already acknowledged Fox and Hajek are rookies, so you're arguing just to argue at this point.

You keep waiting for that Staal trade. Many players who have NMCs use them. Lucic waived his to go to a contender. I don't know any contending teams who can take $5.5 million D who you claim can't play D.

I also don't give a shit about wins against 2 teams, 1 with an AHL defense and the other with 2/3 AHL roster. That doesn't really impress me outside of the top line's performance. My observations about the defense being a hot mess go back 2 years. Staal was actually one of the more solid defenseman last year, given he had to play with 2 own-zone train wrecks in Pionk and ADA.

From this small sampling the second line is struggling to find any consistency and chemistry. I'd love to see Andersson put a lot of work in on his faceoffs. If he can do that he would (IMO) be a better fit between Kreider and Kakko. It's only 2 games but their analytics are bad. Just want to get a look at him at 2C. Faceoffs are the only thing keeping Strome there.

All three players have different styles, which is why it's not effective. Kreider and Kakko are practically playing different sports. And Strome just doesn't have the skills to make plays.

I think you're misunderstanding. I didn't say that Staal is a one man wrecking crew on D. I said he's got the most sound positioning and knows how to defend the cycle. I didn't say he does it alone, I simply said the other defensemen either can't, or just don't for whatever reason. I'm not sure how you can watch a game like the one against Winnipeg and see Skjei and ADA all over the place and think they're solid defenders.

Now, that's not a complaint (something else you're just making up or confused about), it's an observation. I already acknowledged Fox and Hajek are rookies, so you're arguing just to argue at this point.

You keep waiting for that Staal trade. Many players who have NMCs use them. Lucic waived his to go to a contender. I don't know any contending teams who can take $5.5 million D who you claim can't play D.

I also don't give a shit about wins against 2 teams, 1 with an AHL defense and the other with 2/3 AHL roster. That doesn't really impress me outside of the top line's performance. My observations about the defense being a hot mess go back 2 years. Staal was actually one of the more solid defenseman last year, given he had to play with 2 own-zone train wrecks in Pionk and ADA.

You started it off with Staal is the only one that can and and knows how to defend the cycle, that can’t be that hard to remember. And then you admit it in the above post. “ Staal knows how to defend the cycle. I didn’t say he does it alone. I simply said the other defence man can’t or don’t for whatever reason”

Pretty confusing, Staal knows how to defend the cycle, the other defensemen can’t or won’t defend the cycle so then what does Staal do? Say fuk it they don’t, I don’t. Or gallantly try to be in three spots at one time? I said out there as a subtle description, but there are many more descriptive words if you’d like. If you think Ranger defensemen were not doing every thing in their power to stop cycles both games your in dreamland. I don’t remember the opposing teams cycling having much of a impact on either game for sure Ottawa, and Winnipeg and their AHL defense got beat, but managed a win in Jersey the next night.

I’m sure Quinn gives a shit about 4 points and two wins after two games and it don’t matter who they played. Team defence is a process and last year means nothing this year.

You started it off with Staal is the only one that can and and knows how to defend the cycle, that can?t be that hard to remember. And then you admit it in the above post. ? Staal knows how to defend the cycle. I didn?t say he does it alone. I simply said the other defence man can?t or don?t for whatever reason?

Pretty confusing, Staal knows how to defend the cycle, the other defensemen can?t or won?t defend the cycle so then what does Staal do? Say fuk it they don?t, I don?t. Or gallantly try to be in three spots at one time? I said out there as a subtle description, but there are many more descriptive words if you?d like. If you think Ranger defensemen were not doing every thing in their power to stop cycles both games your in dreamland. I don?t remember the opposing teams cycling having much of a impact on either game for sure Ottawa, and Winnipeg and their AHL defense got beat, but managed a win in Jersey the next night.

I?m sure Quinn gives a shit about 4 points and two wins after two games and it don?t matter who they played. Team defence is a process and last year means nothing this year.

I'm sorry you got confused.

No confusion here, only issue is keeping you on track.
Nah. What I said is pretty simple to understand.

"The only one who has the ability to" ≠ "Does it alone". At some point, common sense and a basic understanding of the game needs to be assumed.

Yes I’m sure if you watch a few more and slow it down you will pick up more, takes a while to pickup on the common sense and basic understanding of the game but stick with it. If you want to kill some time check replays. They tell the tale. It’s the reason most coaches watch game tapes so they get all the play, not just the result. Rangers have given up 5 goals none off the opposition cycle, so I’m not sure what your babbling about, a couple off a forecheck the rest off the rush. Brady Skjei beat twice on one goal was not good, and Marc Staal tripping over his size 12 boots at his blueline and beat to his net by his check was pathetic against Winnipeg, almost as pathetic as watching “Cycle” Staal get absolutely manhandled by 20 year old Brady Thachuk in front of his net, before Thachuk had one bounce off him in the net. Better positioning and some balls and Staal might have got him out of there. But that’s ok he’s aces on the cycle. So don’t give me your common sense and basic understanding of the game bullshit, your yapping about cycling and it hasn’t cost the Rangers squat.

I mean, the puck went in off Tkachuk's knee as he was falling on his ass because of Staal. Would you have preferred Staal to alter gravity so Tkachuk fell later?

Staal's been precisely as good as he needs to be in the first two games of the season. No better, no worse.

I mean, the puck went in off Tkachuk's knee as he was falling on his ass because of Staal. Would you have preferred Staal to alter gravity so Tkachuk fell later?

Staal's been precisely as good as he needs to be in the first two games of the season. No better, no worse.

The quality of those two goals against the supposed leader Staal were brutal, the expectation of him against Thachuk, is to use his experience to move him out of there. It’s clear as day Thachuk manhandled Staal in front of the net. Staal basically quit on Thachuk when it got real. Teams practice those battles and your in it to win it or get off the ice.

Yes I’m sure if you watch a few more and slow it down you will pick up more, takes a while to pickup on the common sense and basic understanding of the game but stick with it. If you want to kill some time check replays. They tell the tale. It’s the reason most coaches watch game tapes so they get all the play, not just the result. Rangers have given up 5 goals none off the opposition cycle, so I’m not sure what your babbling about, a couple off a forecheck the rest off the rush. Brady Skjei beat twice on one goal was not good, and Marc Staal tripping over his size 12 boots at his blueline and beat to his net by his check was pathetic against Winnipeg, almost as pathetic as watching “Cycle” Staal get absolutely manhandled by 20 year old Brady Thachuk in front of his net, before Thachuk had one bounce off him in the net. Better positioning and some balls and Staal might have got him out of there. But that’s ok he’s aces on the cycle. So don’t give me your common sense and basic understanding of the game bullshit, your yapping about cycling and it hasn’t cost the Rangers squat.

And because I felt like it, went back and checked and you have a totally "out there" description of manhandled, one that's totally inaccurate. BTW, I'd hope that a 6-3 200 pound 20 year old could "manhandle" a similar size 32 year old. That's kind of...normal.

Winnipeg's first goal is a prime example of Skjei not defending the cycle. He stick checks and allows Ehlers to go untouched behind the net.

Their second goal, you're right, Staal got beat to the net by one of the best players in the NHL in Wheeler. Irrelevant to the conversation. (You also kind of made up that he tripped, he didn't. He lost his footing, which happens, and then got beat skating backwards by a forward skating straight ahead...which also happens).

I mean...The suggestion that because they haven't had to defend much off the cycle so far this year (because, you know, they've only played 2 games...) means they won't is pretty silly.

Staal is their best defender below the hashmarks and right now it's not even close.

He handles the puck like a grenade and is slow as shit, but he's not the biggest issue with the cap or with the defense. Him being the whipping boy is laughable when we have a guy so bad at defense that the coach put him at forward on the roster.