• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 Reports From the Rink ? Practice Updates Thread

Phil

They never labeled him or Hughes as such.

Doesn’t mean he won’t be elite. Him being elite was and is the projection.

OK, he's not even an above average #2 pick if you go back over the past ten years. As far as initial production goes, anyways. There's some examples the other way, too, so fine, let's see how he is next year, cause the excuses aren't going to cut it after this season.

I guess my problem with him isn't really him, or the Rangers, it's the shit that was said about him in the run up to the draft. I didn't hear anything about skating issues, or how he's cream puff. He was advertised as ready to go, which he's clearly not. It's more indicative of the industry as a whole.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not McDavid. That's right.

...he was also never supposed to be McDavid so if you're disappointed, that's on you.

He's not even Ryan Nugent Hopkins. I was hoping for at least Ryan Nugent Hopkins production. I guess it's on me for listening to all the experts tell me how great he was. I only watched him in the WJC, I didn't think he was very good in that, but he was in his draft year.

He's not even Ryan Nugent Hopkins. I was hoping for at least Ryan Nugent Hopkins production. I guess it's on me for listening to all the experts tell me how great he was. I only watched him in the WJC, I didn't think he was very good in that, but he was in his draft year.

No one said he wouldn’t struggle. Or that he wouldn’t need development time. Or that there would be immediate production.

Huge adjustment for this kid to be making.

While it’s not a huge surprise for a kid to come over and be great right away, it’s also not a surprise for the same kid to come over and have growing pains.

There’s definitely holes in his game and things he needs to improve. No reason to believe he won’t figure it out.

Curious as to you you think is actually good at hockey. You act as if every player is the same with differing amounts of disappointment and unfulfilled potential.

I never once heard you or anyone else say, "I don't think he's that good, we should draft someone else" so stop pretending you know better. Give him a chance.

OK, he's not even an above average #2 pick if you go back over the past ten years. As far as initial production goes, anyways. There's some examples the other way, too, so fine, let's see how he is next year, cause the excuses aren't going to cut it after this season.

I guess my problem with him isn't really him, or the Rangers, it's the shit that was said about him in the run up to the draft. I didn't hear anything about skating issues, or how he's cream puff. He was advertised as ready to go, which he's clearly not. It's more indicative of the industry as a whole.

Agree with this.

Hockey writers need to stop sensationalizing and making NHL comparisons about peak instead of pregression rate.

I'm just saying he's terrible right now, because he's terrible right now, as in he's not currently a legit NHL forward. He's only here because he was the #2 pick and they built half their marketing campaign around him. What that means for his future, I can only guess, but probably not much, I'm sure he'll be a productive player maybe as soon as next year!

Hands up anybody that thought he'd be utterly useless in year one when they drafted him. Not me, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I'm just saying he's terrible right now, because he's terrible right now, as in he's not currently a legit NHL forward. He's only here because he was the #2 pick and they built half their marketing campaign around him. What that means for his future, I can only guess, but probably not much, I'm sure he'll be a productive player maybe as soon as next year!

Hands up anybody that thought he'd be utterly useless in year one when they drafted him. Not me, that's for sure.

I don't know if he's "terrible", Dunny. He's just a kid who's out of his league right now. Hell, I have a pair of workboots older than Kakko!!! LOL

He'll be fine, my man....give him a year or 2.

I don't know if he's "terrible", Dunny. He's just a kid who's out of his league right now. Hell, I have a pair of workboots older than Kakko!!! LOL

I think, with all players, we need to divest what the observation is, from what that reason are.

Today, Kappo Kakko is not a good player.

Is it because he's young and out over his skis? Yes

Will he get better? Yes

Has he been better lately? Yes.

But point is, right now, he's not good. That's all Dunny (and others) are saying. There are reasons, yes. But he's not good. That's the reality.

I think, with all players, we need to divest what the observation is, from what that reason are.

Will he get better? Yes

But point is, right now, he's not good. That's all Dunny (and others) are saying. There are reasons, yes. But he's not good. That's the reality.

He’s been very bad. His rookie season has been a kind of flop.

But the thing is though, it’s of very little consequence at this point.

It would be nice if he were better. But every night is a learning experience for him. His improved play of late, albeit slightly, shows that he’s learning some and applying it.

The fact that he’s been shitty is at this point less important than him gaining experience.

Definitely needs to get stronger and work on his skating. A common issue for players that age.

• Like 1

Will he get better? Yes

The bolded is where I was going..."Terrible", I think is over stating it, but we can disagree on that.

he's got 20 points now vs say svechnikov who finished with 37 playing 82 games.

there's no doubt he's not yet ready though he has become more noticeable since

the all star break. Clearly the NHL has adopted a play the kids more strategy same

way as rarely do rookie qb's in the nfl ride the bench for several years anymore. this

is why they never sent him to the A. while not tearing it up nor is he embarassing

himself either.

i get the sense of over hype as well both from the league, the scouts and pundits, but

you need to look at that for what it is and it is just selling this great game. would you

rather they shit all over every prospect? the strategy is working because it excites the

fan base for players that are mainly 3 years out or just heading to college anyway. look

at the mlb draft which literally no one gives a shit about.

everything needs to be held in perspective.

not sure what he will be but damn sure he will get every chance to develop the right

way in this organization. up to him after that.

he's got 20 points now vs say svechnikov who finished with 37 playing 82 games.

there's no doubt he's not yet ready though he has become more noticeable since

the all star break. Clearly the NHL has adopted a play the kids more strategy same

way as rarely do rookie qb's in the nfl ride the bench for several years anymore. this

is why they never sent him to the A. while not tearing it up nor is he embarassing

himself either.

i get the sense of over hype as well both from the league, the scouts and pundits, but

you need to look at that for what it is and it is just selling this great game. would you

rather they shit all over every prospect? the strategy is working because it excites the

fan base for players that are mainly 3 years out or just heading to college anyway. look

at the mlb draft which literally no one gives a shit about.

everything needs to be held in perspective.

not sure what he will be but damn sure he will get every chance to develop the right

way in this organization. up to him after that.

It should never come as a surprise when an 18-year old, no matter how gifted, hyped, or highly touted and drafted, has struggled, growing pains, or lack of production.

It just takes time and repetition.

For a 18 year old kid(most of the season). I have been pretty happy with Kakko. Does he have things to work on? Absolutely but given the fact that he really hasn’t had a chance to play with our better players I’ve liked what I’ve seen. Defensively it takes time for kids to get better it could take a few years. I love how he can extend plays and hold onto the puck. I guess my only drawback is that he doesn’t shoot enough but that will be better with experience. Just going through the grind of a 82 game season is huge for him. This offseason he will get stronger and have a better idea of what to do for his second year

Just not impressed at all and definitely disappointed in what he's shown to date. It's unfortunate the bar is now well he's been more noticeable rather than he's much more productive. I also do think it matters, I assume he's got multiple steps ahead to reach his full potential, it's more challenging and less of a sure thing when you're starting so low on the ladder. Can he still get there wherever there is I sure hope so. Hughes has been just as bad too so we can hang onto that. Both have a long way to go and the next few years will be key.

Just not impressed at all and definitely disappointed in what he's shown to date. It's unfortunate the bar is now well he's been more noticeable rather than he's much more productive. I also do think it matters, I assume he's got multiple steps ahead to reach his full potential, it's more challenging and less of a sure thing when you're starting so low on the ladder. Can he still get there wherever there is I sure hope so. Hughes has been just as bad too so we can hang onto that. Both have a long way to go and the next few years will be key.

It’s of limited importance.

The learning, growth, and experience all outweigh how well he actually does.

In all honesty, that will remain more important for a while. Certainly through this season, and maybe even through all of next.

Though I don’t expect it to take forever.

Well, like, go do it somewhere else. This isn't a developmental league. It's the NHL.

I get it

He’s the only player that they’ve given the preferential treatment to. It’s really not a big deal

And I’d guess they don’t feel he’d benefit more from the A than he is from playing up here.

The comparable used by what I consider the reasonable and grounded prospect writers was Svechnikov. Not someone who would come in and dominate the league in year one. He hasn't been as good as Svechnikov was in his first year, but he could get pretty close production wise if he gets on a bit of a roll in down the stretch.

I think the hype train rolled out of control after the worlds. Even guys like Pronman got a bit carried away by that. In his mid season ranking I believe he said something along the lines of "Kakko has a chance to play in the NHL straight away" which seems more accurate than what followed the WC - which was basically "this guy is going to be a star". He could still be that, but I think most of the prospect writers had this right in the first half of last season, where they said the draft had two really good prospects at the top, albeit not anywhere generational-good.

The comparable used by what I consider the reasonable and grounded prospect writers was Svechnikov. Not someone who would come in and dominate the league in year one. He hasn't been as good as Svechnikov was in his first year, but he could get pretty close production wise if he gets on a bit of a roll in down the stretch.

I think the hype train rolled out of control after the worlds. Even guys like Pronman got a bit carried away by that. In his mid season ranking I believe he said something along the lines of "Kakko has a chance to play in the NHL straight away" which seems more accurate than what followed the WC - which was basically "this guy is going to be a star". He could still be that, but I think most of the prospect writers had this right in the first half of last season, where they said the draft had two really good prospects at the top, albeit not anywhere generational-good.

Think we know the huge difference between Kakko and Svech tho... Wheels.

There's other differences. Kakko also can't shoot. He's soft. Svechnikov can rip it and he plays mean. I really don't understand the comparison at all. They followed completely different paths to get here.

I don't really want to talk about Kakko anymore this season. I just want him to show up in September and make me look really dumb.

There's other differences. Kakko also can't shoot. He's soft. Svechnikov can rip it and he plays mean. I really don't understand the comparison at all. They followed completely different paths to get here.

I don't really want to talk about Kakko anymore this season. I just want him to show up in September and make me look really dumb.

I don't think it was a player comparison, it was in terms of impact/projection. As in, 1st line talent rather than generational talent.

Agree with the last sentence :cheers: