Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another "Ruff" Defensive Year?

Senior Member Midget Division
    i know the D has been a problem but damn that top Winnepeg line is downright scary
    Acqua in bocca

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Hopefully Kakko one day helps make our first line that scary as well
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    i know the D has been a problem but damn that top Winnepeg line is downright scary
    That whole top-6 is. WPG is about the worst team to play an opener against, with the talent in the top-6 and the way they forecheck.

Rangers looked jittery with the puck more than anything else.

agreed on the jitter's. way to many over skates and missed pucks. looked like nervousness.
    Acqua in bocca

I think its a little early to throw in the towel on most of the defense and coaching. The exhibition season lineup was never even close to tonights. They are still settling in. Two rookies, some other question marks. Gonna be a work in progress for a bit. As mentioned Winnipeg has two hard fore checking lines. At this juncture just win.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Truth is their D isn’t that good (yet). Hopefully fox becomes a great player. Same for Hajek. But they were nervous last night, it was obvious. Staal is what he is. And Tony D cannot play defense. So it’s going to be up to Trouba to eat almost 30 minutes a night. That’s the role he wanted in Winnipeg. He’s definitely gonna get it here. Hopefully the other guys can grow.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Gunnar Stahl's Avatar
    I do wish we had some big hitters on the team. I don't mean dirty like Wilson or Lucic, but just someone that makes the other team pay for coming into our zone. We've always had the scappers like Avery, Lemiuex, etc but no one that really makes the other team keep their heads up.
    I don't always back check, but when I do, I follow it up with a nasty wrister from a tight angle. Stay filthy, my friends. Hidden Content

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl View Post
    I do wish we had some big hitters on the team. I don't mean dirty like Wilson or Lucic, but just someone that makes the other team pay for coming into our zone. We've always had the scappers like Avery, Lemiuex, etc but no one that really makes the other team keep their heads up.
    Trouba will be that.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Truth is their D isn’t that good (yet). Hopefully fox becomes a great player. Same for Hajek. But they were nervous last night, it was obvious. Staal is what he is. And Tony D cannot play defense. So it’s going to be up to Trouba to eat almost 30 minutes a night. That’s the role he wanted in Winnipeg. He’s definitely gonna get it here. Hopefully the other guys can grow.
    I saw the clear potential with Fox last night. Hajek was more challenging to see it. He didn't have a good first game.

Trouba really impressed me with his ability to get the puck on net with authority.
    Fox seems like a "+" to our D-corps.
    Ozzy reminded me that Skeij is young and that some D guys need time. I'm patient.
    Staal? Yeah, more of that please. last time he did a wrap-around was 9 years ago? What are you waiting for buddy? Go to the net again.
    Smith playing like he doesn't want to see Hartford.
    Hajek finding some mojo?
    ADA gonna' be fine.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Trouba really impressed me with his ability to get the puck on net with authority.
    Fox seems like a "+" to our D-corps.
    Ozzy reminded me that Skeij is young and that some D guys need time. I'm patient.
    Staal? Yeah, more of that please. last time he did a wrap-around was 9 years ago? What are you waiting for buddy? Go to the net again.
    Smith playing like he doesn't want to see Hartford.
    Hajek finding some mojo?
    ADA gonna' be fine.
    Good for you Frank with that glass half full. Hope you're right. To me way too many things have to fall into place to fix what I see as a major weakness playing the other side of the puck. I lean more towards it could very easily just be a bad mix of players who's strengths (if they have them at this point) aren't playing D. Regardless it's time to sit back and see what happens.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    First game against a tough team. Plenty of room for improvement
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Reminds me of my beer league team. One stud defenseman who played D1 ACHA and 3 forwards who line up in a D spot on faceoffs haha.

It’s probable if a NHL team is struggling defensively and they fire the defensive coach and hire a new one the difference in play will amount a hill of beans. Assistant coaches follow orders from headquarters. If the dmen and system sucks it’s on Quinn. If Ruff wasn’t following orders, Quinn would see it and deal with it. That being said the first 10 games is a benchmark for overall initial assessment of a body of work, to get enough of a range to offset a few bad games. If they are all bad the watch is on.

@Rranger - fair observation

Senior Member Mite Division LeetchFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Ruff probably isn't that good, but name the defensive coach who would have turned last year's chicken shit defense into chicken salad. I'll wait. The problem with that roster — with this roster still — was composition, not coaching.
    Agreed...we now have seen the same helter-skelter D under 2 different coaches and systems. I think that QUINN -- not Ruff -- needs to put his stamp on things.

I also think we have been a bit too quick the last few years to elevate some of our D-men into Bobby Orr Status based on 1 or 2 years or a decent playoffs: Ryan McDonough, Brendan Smith, Skjei, etc. That said, they shouldn't have done a complete 180 and gone from major plus to major negative.

I hope Quinn gives the pairings -- whichever ones he settles on -- 20-30 games where they aren't touched. We need CONTINUITY to see what these guys can do. Offense is something you can do by yourself, but defense is something you need to know where your partner and the front line is or are going to do to be effective.

Brian Leetch and Jeff Beukaboom were both NOT exceptional defensive players but they were very good because they played together for years and knew each's tendencies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12