• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will Not Name Captain for This Season

Gunnar Stahl

David Quinn Press Conference

"Look, you have all worked your tails off and all deserve to be here. I think we are icing the best team possible. However there is one more piece of business to wrap up and I know everyone has been asking about it. Who is going to lead us? Who is that guy? Well, that's why I called you all here today.

*energy in the room rises as players start smiling and embracing each other. They have waited for this*

"It's time"

"Mika... come on up here pal!"

*players go crazy, high fiving and yelling as Mika walks up to the coach*

"I need something from you, Mika"

*Mika smiles and tries to keep his composure*

"Are you ready because this is big?"

"Ready coach!"

"Ok, hold up this arm of the jersey and extend when I say so, we dont wanna miss this!"

"got it coach!"

"Ladies and Gentlemen our new captain..... ok Mika open it up!"

*The jersey opens to reveal the letter C"

*crowd goes nuts!*

"Flip it over Mika!"

*The jersey is flipped and the name reads....H-A-L-E-Y"

"Come on up Haley!!! You earned this! Ok thanks Mika you can sit now"

David Quinn Press Conference

"Look, you have all worked your tails off and all deserve to be here. I think we are icing the best team possible. However there is one more piece of business to wrap up and I know everyone has been asking about it. Who is going to lead us? Who is that guy? Well, that's why I called you all here today.

*energy in the room rises as players start smiling and embracing each other. They have waited for this*

"It's time"

"Mika... come on up here pal!"

*players go crazy, high fiving and yelling as Mika walks up to the coach*

"I need something from you, Mika"

*Mika smiles and tries to keep his composure*

"Are you ready because this is big?"

"Ready coach!"

"Ok, hold up this arm of the jersey and extend when I say so, we dont wanna miss this!"

"got it coach!"

"Ladies and Gentlemen our new captain..... ok Mika open it up!"

*The jersey opens to reveal the letter C"

*crowd goes nuts!*

"Flip it over Mika!"

*The jersey is flipped and the name reads....H-A-L-E-Y"

"Come on up Haley!!! You earned this! Ok thanks Mika you can sit now"

Legendary.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Odd that two FAs and one guy who's almost out the door too all wear As.

They have been a part of the team basically the longest. I don’t see anyone else that deserves it this year on the team. Panarin and Trouba are both too new here and the rest of the team is too young. I have no issues with who they gave the “A” to.

Little surprised given the attention they’ve placed upon Zibanejad. But I don’t think they wholly know who the leadership group is and there is a potential for any number of them to be there, so a little bit of a “wait and see” attitude on this moving forward. And I do also think the organization is at least a little reluctant to name a captain as long as Staal is around.

Would simply naming Staal captain for the 1-2 seasons he’s got left be so terrible? I suppose then you create a situation where at some point you might have to scratch your Captain, which you simply can’t . But I think Staal has in his career has absolutely earned it and is exactly the guy you want , especially with this young of a group.

If not Mika who we got that is Captain material long term? Will look kind of stupid to string Mika along if he eventually gets named Captain. Hope this is not one of those stupid cant step on Hank’s toes thing. Maybe while Kreider is still in play they figure he would be better with the C.

I think it's a fine decision, it's such a fresh team. I agree with a lot of the points here: the unnecessary pressure, a chance for a true leader to emerge. With such a new team there could be, by the end of the season, a captain that everyone would agree is right, that we'd never think to be captain today.