• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Micheal Haley to 1-Year, $700K Deal (Two-Way)

Phil

see how it goes. i'm o.k. sending chytil and kravtsov down if it gets them top line minutes down there. would imagine they are up with the big club again at some point.

not so sure i'm jazzed about the 3rd line but probably a mix and match 2,3,4 anyway

They'll be back this season for sure but neither player was good in the preseason. Chytil was falling all over the ice and Krav looked timid/didn't seem to have a handle on the smaller ice. "Developing players" doesn't mean "put all the kids in the nhl."

Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter but every year I just hate seeing a roster spot wasted for the outdated "gritty enforcer" role. Even if that role was still relevant it never works for the Rangers anyway. We get pushed around regardless, so I'd rather watch a young kid struggle and figure out the game then give some irrelevant low skill player ice time.

Haley, McLeod, Glass, Rupp, whoever.

Year after year we waste a roster spot for someone to drop the gloves in garbage time when we are down 4-1 and pretend like it actually does anything.

Chytil needs to learn the consiquence of a bad camp. He's had mediocre camps and has been given the benefit of the doubt. He'll also benefit from top line minutes, and give Vitali a highly-skilled player to build chemistry and NA hockey experience with.

Haley is fine. He's basically Fast-light, and with a bit more grit. I don't expect him to be an enforcer, but the team is young and needs someone like him to be an engine in terms of work ethic and intensity.

Chytil needs to learn the consiquence of a bad camp. He's had mediocre camps and has been given the benefit of the doubt. He'll also benefit from top line minutes, and give Vitali a highly-skilled player to build chemistry and NA hockey experience with.

Haley is fine. He's basically Fast-light, and with a bit more grit. I don't expect him to be an enforcer, but the team is young and needs someone like him to be an engine in terms of work ethic and intensity.

Fast has been here a long time because he can kill penalties and...actually play decent hockey if you bump him up to the 2nd or 3rd line. He is not going to score a ton, but he won't hurt you. See nothing about Haley that comes close to that.He's holding a spot until they're comfortable with one of the kids coming back. And then he'll fit nicely in Hartford. If Haley plays 60 games, this may not be a playoff team.

Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter but every year I just hate seeing a roster spot wasted for the outdated "gritty enforcer" role. Even if that role was still relevant it never works for the Rangers anyway. We get pushed around regardless, so I'd rather watch a young kid struggle and figure out the game then give some irrelevant low skill player ice time.

Haley, McLeod, Glass, Rupp, whoever.

Year after year we waste a roster spot for someone to drop the gloves in garbage time when we are down 4-1 and pretend like it actually does anything.

Who do you put in the press box instead?

McKegg could be our default junk time/press box/intense grit/whatever player. Dump Haley and keep Chytil or Kravs up with the club IMO.

Michael Haley isn't taking either of those player's spot. Neither is McKegg. Chytil and Kravstov needed to beat out a combination of Fast, Anderson, Howden, Kakko, Strome or Namestnikov, which they did not.

Kravtsov was better than Howden. I'm not going to nitpick here. It wasn't a huge difference, and I understand the reasoning to a degree. What blows my mind is if Howden is 3rd line with more talented players and Andersson is relegated to 4th line duties with scrubs. If the mantra is that the players who play best get the spot and the ice time, Howden wasn't on the same planet as Andersson. That's more of a job well done to Andersson than it is an indictment of Howden, but it's a bit of both.

Kravtsov was better than Howden. I'm not going to nitpick here. It wasn't a huge difference, and I understand the reasoning to a degree. What blows my mind is if Howden is 3rd line with more talented players and Andersson is relegated to 4th line duties with scrubs. If the mantra is that the players who play best get the spot and the ice time, Howden wasn't on the same planet as Andersson. That's more of a job well done to Andersson than it is an indictment of Howden, but it's a bit of both.

Kravstov was not better than Howden but I'll let that be for now.

I'm not sure why you're reading so much into bottom 6 line combinations day 1 of full team practice. These things are always fluid. They always change. The difference between 3C and 4C is minimal and Andersson will play with the players that best suit him in time.

We do this every year. The lines absolutely never stay the same. So why get yourself worked up about it?

i don't see why people freak out about a guy like Haley earning a contract. He certainly busted his ass enough to earn a shot

He isn't going to be the one responsible for a young player not getting enough ice time. He's a random guy, on a one year deal (im assuming) that can easily just be waived if need be, but for now, it's not hurting the team to have him here.

I'm not sure why you're reading so much into bottom 6 line combinations day 1 of full team practice. These things are always fluid. They always change. The difference between 3C and 4C is minimal and Andersson will play with the players that best suit him in time.

We do this every year. The lines absolutely never stay the same. So why get yourself worked up about it?

I will be 100% honest and check my own ego.... I am butt hurt over it plain and simple. I personally had a ton of faith Chytil and Kravs to not only make the team but make a big splash. We were finally going to see a Rangers youth movement not only make an impact, but an immediate one. Kakko, Kravs, Andersson, Chytil, and Fox. All coming in to tear it up together.

But here we are instead, Chytil and Kravs were invisible and Michael Haley.... MICHAEL HALEY, the fucking useless PTO invite made the team over them both. I am salty and a tad depressed. It's giving me AV/Glass flashbacks.

I know deep down that having more time in the AHL will help them long term but god dammit I just want something different and for something to work out for us.

We'll just disagree on Kravtsov/Howden, but you're correct on the rest regarding lines frequently changing.

I think my trepidation is how much faith Quinn seemed to have in Howden all year last year. It was a disproportionate amount compared to almost everyone else who was constantly shuffled in and out of the lineup. I don't think it was well deserved, and it kind of feels like it has carried over to this season already since he did nothing to standout in the preseason.

I don't hate Howden as a prospect, but to me he is still a prospect who needs work. I'd like to see more consistency when it comes to players earning spots.