• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Versatile Veteran Strome Looking to be Part of the Rangers? Core

Phil

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strome is our 2nd best faceoff man, but I see him as a 3rd line C because he's not nearly talented enough to be a top 6. I wouldn't give him any more than 3-3.5M, but just by having him here, you probably have no spot for either Howden or Andersson in the bottom 6. In that case, I let him walk.

Strome is our 2nd best faceoff man, but I see him as a 3rd line C because he's not nearly talented enough to be a top 6. I wouldn't give him any more than 3-3.5M, but just by having him here, you probably have no spot for either Howden or Andersson in the bottom 6. In that case, I let him walk.

It's too early in the season for the FO thing to matter. Historically, he hasn't been good. It's not like he's going to stay at 60% all year.

Strome is a good guy to pair with Kreider at the deadline to bring home a high pick for next year's draft I think. Howden looks like he's going to be a decent #3 center. He has the size and the talent, I think he just needs to grow into it, which is going to take a couple of seasons, but I think he's going to be a good #3.

Lias is getting better, and has shown a lot more promise so far, than he did last season. I don't think a #4 C spot is what we drafted him for, but he can play the PK and also isn't bad on faceoffs. He also has a mean streak which I like to see. His compete level is what I like most though.

Strome is a good guy to pair with Kreider at the deadline to bring home a high pick for next year's draft I think. Howden looks like he's going to be a decent #3 center. He has the size and the talent, I think he just needs to grow into it, which is going to take a couple of seasons, but I think he's going to be a good #3.

Lias is getting better, and has shown a lot more promise so far, than he did last season. I don't think a #4 C spot is what we drafted him for, but he can play the PK and also isn't bad on faceoffs. He also has a mean streak which I like to see. His compete level is what I like most though.

To be honest I don't reallly understand why Howden is the 3c and Lias the 4c right now. I like Howden, but I don't see much in terms of offensive ability.

I get that they're trying to develop both as centers, but putting one on the wing and letting them play on a grinding line together - maybe with Lemieux - makes a lot of sense to me. The three, together, should be strong on the cycle and forecheck.

It's too early in the season for the FO thing to matter. Historically, he hasn't been good. It's not like he's going to stay at 60% all year.

Probably not.

Though, if I'm Ryan Strome and I looked at this roster and thought "What's going to make me invaluable to this team?" - I'd have spent the entire goddamn summer working on faceoffs, center defensive positioning, and puck possession in the neutral zone. If he wants to keep doing those things well, he just might settle into a mid-six role.

Probably not.

Though, if I'm Ryan Strome and I looked at this roster and thought "What's going to make me invaluable to this team?" - I'd have spent the entire goddamn summer working on faceoffs, center defensive positioning, and puck possession in the neutral zone. If he wants to keep doing those things well, he just might settle into a mid-six role.

Going to nitpick "mid-six," because those things are what you want in bottom-6 Cs. Top-6 Cs have to be able to make plays.

Doing all the things that a solid 3c does will probably be good for his career, but that will make him very expendable to this organization, unless he's making vet min, or close to, after this year.

Me too. Not sure why we're writing off Strome before the season especially based on how he played for us last year. He's only 26. Maybe he's just figured it all out finally.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Probably because — and I'm going to thoroughly beat that dead horse to death again — he shot at an obscene clip that he's statistically unlikely to reproduce again, let alone over the life of a new deal. Also because he's 26, and I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of having a $5 million third-line center sucking up valuable cap room in any year beyond Kakko's ELC window. Take a cue from the Leafs. Don't load up on mediocrity.

I don't mind Strome at all.

I know the analytics/Rangers blog crew hate him, but to me he's just fine. I doubt he's the solution at 2c in the long term, but I think he'll do well enough. He'll be playing with 2 dynamic wingers and I think he's a good complimentary piece on that 2nd line.

Which is actually evidence as to why you shouldn't fall in love with him. A four- or five-year deal is falling in love. You probably have this same player already in Howden. Why double down when it's not for a game-breaking player?

To be honest I don't really understand why Howden is the 3c and Lias the 4c right now. I like Howden, but I don't see much in terms of offensive ability.

I get that they're trying to develop both as centers, but putting one on the wing and letting them play on a grinding line together - maybe with Lemieux - makes a lot of sense to me. The three, together, should be strong on the cycle and forecheck.

I think the key phrase is "right now", Future. I think either one of them can flip flop at any time. Lias has some fire to his game, and looked pretty decent so far. Howden has used his size to score a nice goal, and shows some sense of toughness in front.

Who goes where and why? I dunno man, but I do like Lias and Lemieux together! ...I'm guessing that we're going to have a better sense of it as we move along though.

One thing for sure, is that I think they're both on the right track of being solid NHL'ers in my estimation. It's just a matter of who grows into that position first.

Which is actually evidence as to why you shouldn't fall in love with him. A four- or five-year deal is falling in love. You probably have this same player already in Howden. Why double down when it's not for a game-breaking player?

Oh I’m not in love with Strome. In fact I have no feelings for him.

He should be unceremoniously dumped the second someone better comes along.

He’s merely fine right now because nobody else showed up in camp. But Im already seeing real issues with him as the second line center, and I hope this is short lived.

Oh I’m not in love with Strome. In fact I have no feelings for him.

He should be unceremoniously dumped the second someone better comes along.

He’s merely fine right now because nobody else showed up in camp. But Im already seeing real issues with him as the second line center, and I hope this is short lived.

How are you accomplishing that in the event you keep him for the next four-to-five years at $5 million a copy? Dumping middling players who eat a significant portion of the cap is not easy.

I actually hope he does score 50+ points this season. So the Rangers can sell high on him the same way they did with Brassard.

How are you accomplishing that in the event you keep him for the next four-to-five years at $5 million a copy? Dumping middling players who eat a significant portion of the cap is not easy.

I actually hope he does score 50+ points this season. So the Rangers can sell high on him the same way they did with Brassard.

I don?t know, but then again I have never once argued he should be signed so I?m a bit unsure what your angle is here.

I don’t know, but then again I have never once argued he should be signed so I’m a bit unsure what your angle is here.

>>>

...he shot at an obscene clip that he's statistically unlikely to reproduce again, let alone over the life of a new deal. Also because he's 26, and I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of having a $5 million third-line center sucking up valuable cap room in any year beyond Kakko's ELC window. Take a cue from the Leafs. Don't load up on mediocrity.

I just don't understand why anyone would be excited to lock down such a historically mediocre player at age 26+ even with a breakout season given all we know about both his history and the aging curve.

>>>

I just don't understand why anyone would be excited to lock down such a historically mediocre player at age 26+ even with a breakout season given all we know about both his history and the aging curve.

I agree 100%, so you’re preaching to the choir here.

He can do a job this season, and that should be it for him on Broadway.

Yup. Couldn't even find a taker for Namestnikov for 1 year, let alone dumping a player of the same value with multiple years left.

Namestnikov is an interesting name in this conversation because he's the same age as Strome and is in roughly the same position relative to free agency. He also shares a number of similar in-game characteristics like playing multiple forward positions and putting up middle-to-bottom-six numbers for most of his career.

If Vlad put up a 50-point season, would you want him at say 5x4 or 5x5? I wouldn't.

Namestnikov is an interesting name in this conversation because he's the same age as Strome and is in roughly the same position relative to free agency. He also shares a number of similar in-game characteristics like playing multiple forward positions and putting up middle-to-bottom-six numbers for most of his career.

If Vlad put up a 50-point season, would you want him at say 5x4 or 5x5? I wouldn't.

Nope. Because we have guys who project to fill those roles for less $. I'm with you. No overpaying 3rd line players for the sake of filling a perceived "hole" that exists now. Work from the top down.

What happened to the 1 million per ten point scale? I like Strome. If he plays well again. I have no problem paying him 4- 5 mill for 50 points. Weren't people willing to give Kreider 7+ for the same output???

Let's not forget Strome started out pretty well in the NHL. Seems like everyone sucks when they get to Edmonton these last few years. What if he's back? 5 mill for 50 points from a center? Why aren't we signing up for that? Chytil? Andersson? Ok.. There's no guarantee they will make it. Plus Strome can play wing. I take him with that production and that versatility, because.... You have to..

Nope. Because we have guys who project to fill those roles for less $. I'm with you. No overpaying 3rd line players for the sake of filling a perceived "hole" that exists now. Work from the top down.

Right. But to be clear, it's the years I care about most. Much more than the AAV. I'd sooner give Strome one year at 5 million than five years at just about anything.

What happened to the 1 million per ten point scale? I like Strome. If he plays well again. I have no problem paying him 4- 5 mill for 50 points. Weren't people willing to give Kreider 7+ for the same output???

Let's not forget Strome started out pretty well in the NHL. Seems like everyone sucks when they get to Edmonton these last few years. What if he's back? 5 mill for 50 points from a center? Why aren't we signing up for that? Chytil? Andersson? Ok.. There's no guarantee they will make it. Plus Strome can play wing. I take him with that production and that versatility, because.... You have to..

That was mostly true in previous years' markets. It's not really the case anymore. Rising cap = rising salaries.

And again, history of player + aging curve suggests he has more bad years ahead than good. I'm not investing in that in the hopes that he's going to buck the trend and stave off father time.

I think with the direction we seem to be going, Phil...it might be best to unload a guy like that. I'm not feeling anything special about Namestnikov, and I think there may be players we're going to need to lock up 3 years down the road when their ELC's expire. That cap relief from him is going to help out big. If we could deal him at the deadline, for anything more than a stick bag, I think we'd be fine.

EDIT:

OK this is why I should read the forums from top to bottom!!! :rofl:

I just saw he was dealt!