• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Potential Consequences of Filip Chytil's Pedestrian Rangers Camp

RodrigueGabriel

We’re eight days away from the season opener and while it is still too early to declare that Filip Chytil has lost the second-line center spot at which he was given first crack, it is assuredly accurate to state that the 20-year-old has done little through training camp and his two exhibition matches to nail it down.

And so, with Brett Howden skating between Vitali Kravtsov and Kaapo Kakko and Ryan Strome lining up in the middle for the first time this preseason in Tuesday’s Garden exhibition match against the Islanders, the Rangers will perhaps have unexpected decisions to confront if Chytil does not pick it up before it starts for real next Thursday.

Because if Chytil isn’t centering one of the top three lines, does that mean No. 72 moves back to wing, where he played 42 games last season…or to Hartford, Conn. to start the season? This becomes the question in the aftermath of David Quinn stating that he does not envision any of his three young centers — Chytil, Howden and Lias Andersson —playing on the fourth line.

Chytil may have 84 NHL games to his credit, but he still just turned 20 on Sept. 5. He was a phenomenon in camp two years ago, cracking the opening night lineup one month to the day after turning 18. He had a dynamic camp last year. This year, so far, Chytil has been pedestrian. Surely there is more to come from this talented Czech, selected 21st overall in 2017.

The question becomes how quickly? Remember, just because the Rangers’ rebuild trajectory may have been altered by adding Artemi Panarin and Jacob Trouba over the summer, that doesn’t mean that the kids’ respective progress necessarily accelerated as well. This is still about the long-term best interests of each individual youngster, not about doing whatever is expedient to squeeze an extra few points out of the roster in October.

Hence, if Strome is playing either second- or third-line center next week, it won’t necessarily be because he took the job, but because one of the kids could not. A prospect or two may need to start in the shallow end of the pool. If that is the case, so be it.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/24/the-potential-consequences-of-filip-chytils-pedestrian-rangers-camp/

--

Larry has put the young man in the headlights.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to not read so much into training camps. Remember when Esa Tikkinen, in his third tenure with the Rangers, tore up camp and then had no goals and one assist in 32 games? A lot of guys have had slow camps and done just fine. I know Vesey was as inconsistent as ever last year, but after a very poor camp he was the Rangers' best skater on opening night. Chytl, of course, needs to earn it, but I wouldn't be too fast to banish him to Harford at this point.

Rangers need Chytil and Andersson to establish themselves as dependable. Don’t have to light it up offensively just yet, but do have to be reliable defensively, as their offence evolves. Watching Andersson it’s like someone sat him down this summer and convinced him his scrumming after every whistle wasn’t scaring anyone and he should just play. I like his on ice prescence a lot more this year than last year. He still has it to do but I see glimmers of hope this preseason. What a rebuild bonus if both can establish themselves as dependable middle six forwards.

Genuine question. How many 20 year olds are expected to be the 2c of their NHL teams this season?

I'd wager not many.

over the last few seasons

Hischier, Pettersson, PLD, Kotkaniemi

Mittelstadt got moved out of his 2C, Patrick bumped by Hayes

The list is short. But for the top players, this is when they stand out Mathews, Eichel, Point, Aho, Barzal

over the last few seasons

Hischier, Pettersson, PLD, Kotkaniemi

Mittelstadt got moved out of his 2C, Patrick bumped by Hayes

The list is short. But for the top players, this is when they stand out Mathews, Eichel, Point, Aho, Barzal

The Rangers will be lucky if Chytil becomes half of Mathews, Eichel, Point, Aho or Barzal.

Behave.

edit I suspect my sarcasm detector might be set to "off".

Duchene was cheaper and solved a bigger issue at center, but I'm also thinking that when it's all said and done either Kakko or Kravtsov move to the middle.

Or they wait for Karl Henriksson.

Duchene was cheaper and solved a bigger issue at center, but I'm also thinking that when it's all said and done either Kakko or Kravtsov move to the middle.

Or they wait for Karl Henriksson.

I mentioned this elsewhere but one of the reporters said the Rangers are high on Henriksson and expect him to be in camp next season.