• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Potential Consequences of Filip Chytil's Pedestrian Rangers Camp

RodrigueGabriel

Duchene was cheaper and solved a bigger issue at center, but I'm also thinking that when it's all said and done either Kakko or Kravtsov move to the middle.

Or they wait for Karl Henriksson.

I'm just not a fan of trying to move wings to center. If so, why not Kreider?

Either way, we have a fun problem brewing here:

Kreider

Kakko

Panarin

Buchnevich

Kravtsov

Chytil

Who's not a top 6 wing? Who's the odd two out?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kreider

Kakko

Panarin

Buchnevich

Kravtsov

Chytil

I still imagine that we'll see Kreider moved around January and most likely Namestikov too.

Kreider

Kakko

Panarin

Buchnevich

Kravtsov

Chytil

I think Buch is gonna be their man out unless he starts shooting the puck more. He passes way too much when he should take the shot. I like Buch, but this is make it or break it time.

Keep Chytil as a center. Pair him with Panarin to wake him up and see that potential... The kid looked 10 times better when shifted back to center at the end of last season.

I have no problem with any of Strome, Namestnikov, Howden or Andersson getting that role to start the season. But I expect Chytil to take the job by Thanksgiving.

the 2,3,4 C will be a work in progress to start things off. i think it will be a mix and match to see what clicks. the easy move is probably to slide Strome in at the 2C to start and mix Lias/Howden on the 3/4 but slot them higher if the matchup warrants. i think Chtiyl judging from Joe's comments will be a wing man for the foreseeable future until he can grown into the C.

Strome even at mediocre is the logical choice for second center. There is little doubt he is not any kind of long term solution. But for now it takes the pressure off kids. Howden and Andersson at this point are both better suited in a third line role, and one will end up fourth. Although Quinn will probably have two third lines instead of a traditional fourth. Let their NHL game grow a bit more. If Andersson continues his transformation, down the road you could be looking at a center capable of playing a two hole and for sure a real strong third guy. That's assuming he keeps his head screwed on straight and continues his maturation, which is the reason for the jump in his game. As a fan you have to really like what he's done so far.

yes, it was exactly one game this preseason. last year he played center and did fine, better than wing
Wrong, it was 2, plus... You know the hours of practice and scrimmages that we don't see.

I agree he was good down the stretch at center last year, but his camp this year is garbage.

I don't get why you compare him to Strome. One is a vet who's using camp to get ready for the season, the other is still trying to prove himself. It's a world of difference. Quinn's not looking at them the same way.

Strange thing about Chytil for me is that he looks bigger, more physically developed. Not sure if it's a mental thing to start, but he's been sort of skating around out there without much direction. I see a spot for either him or Kravtsov as a 3rd line wing with Namestnikov and Andersson, and I'm not sure which one I'd go with at this point. Sending Chytil to the Pack and letting Kravtsov get a taste of the NHL might be the best way to go here. It gets Chytil to realize this isn't a guaranteed spot because he was here last year, and they can find out what they have in Kravtsov early. If he isn't ready, then he will know the level of competition he needs to raise the bar to and what parts of his game need to improve in order to make his way back.

Wrong, it was 2, plus... You know the hours of practice and scrimmages that we don't see.

I agree he was good down the stretch at center last year, but his camp this year is garbage.

I don't get why you compare him to Strome. One is a vet who's using camp to get ready for the season, the other is still trying to prove himself. It's a world of difference. Quinn's not looking at them the same way.

my point is that I didn't see anything from Strome as a center last night to think he's better than Chytil. Obviously we don't get to see practices and scrimmages to base my opinion on. But if I did, I wouldn't be talking to you, i'd be talking to Quinn about this

Strange thing about Chytil for me is that he looks bigger, more physically developed. Not sure if it's a mental thing to start, but he's been sort of skating around out there without much direction. I see a spot for either him or Kravtsov as a 3rd line wing with Namestnikov and Andersson, and I'm not sure which one I'd go with at this point. Sending Chytil to the Pack and letting Kravtsov get a taste of the NHL might be the best way to go here. It gets Chytil to realize this isn't a guaranteed spot because he was here last year, and they can find out what they have in Kravtsov early. If he isn't ready, then he will know the level of competition he needs to raise the bar to and what parts of his game need to improve in order to make his way back.

they're really looking closely at Kravtsov. he's been playing in every pre-season game, I think. im not sure they know what to do with him yet

Agreed. The way I think they might see it right now:

Panarin/Zib/Buch

Kreider/Strome/Kakko

Namestnikov/Andersson/Chytil or Kravtsov

Lemieux/Howden/Fast

I think this is the debate but personally I’d send both players to the minors and have them play 1st line minutes together. Chytil is not strong on his skates and I don’t think he’s suited to digging pucks out of corners. I’d prefer he play center and the AHL is where he can do that.

Kravstov to me looks like he needs a minute to adjust to the size of the rink. I don’t doubt his skill but again, he looks a lot like Chytil out there — weak on the boards and on the puck. Send them both down for a couple of months and see where they end up.

The Rangers jumped the gun with Chytil last year keeping him at the start of the season. It cost him valuable development time in a lower league, where he should have been all year. He would have been better off in Canadian Major Junior last year and the AHL this year and still been right on development track. He’s 11 months younger than Andersson drafted in the same draft. So he’s a year behind in development time compared to Andersson. Many kids have great tools like Chytil but need to mature, which Chytil needs. Put him in Hartford and check on him at Christmas, don’t use him like a yo-yo and I bet you see a guy ready in the New Year.

The Rangers jumped the gun with Chytil last year keeping him at the start of the season. It cost him valuable development time in a lower league, where he should have been all year. He would have been better off in Canadian Major Junior last year and the AHL this year and still been right on development track. He?s 11 months younger than Andersson drafted in the same draft. So he?s a year behind in development time compared to Andersson. Many kids have great tools like Chytil but need to mature, which Chytil needs. Put him in Hartford and check on him at Christmas, don?t use him like a yo-yo and I bet you see a guy ready in the New Year.
Totally agree Rranger. He should have been in Hartford last year.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Rangers jumped the gun with Chytil last year keeping him at the start of the season. It cost him valuable development time in a lower league, where he should have been all year. He would have been better off in Canadian Major Junior last year and the AHL this year and still been right on development track. He?s 11 months younger than Andersson drafted in the same draft. So he?s a year behind in development time compared to Andersson. Many kids have great tools like Chytil but need to mature, which Chytil needs. Put him in Hartford and check on him at Christmas, don?t use him like a yo-yo and I bet you see a guy ready in the New Year.
So the year Chytil had 31 points in 46 games in the A he'd have been better off in major junior?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk