• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will Give Tony DeAngelo Every Chance to Earn Huge Raise

Phil

?I think last year was more the coach establishing the ground rules for me, where the leash might have been a little tighter for me,? No. 77 said. ?I think he was trying to get certain things through to me about what was expected and required from me.

?As the year went on, the second half, especially, I thought it was good. I think we got onto the same page and I think we understand each other really well. I?m an emotional guy and that?s how I play. Last year was good for us. I wouldn?t anticipate those issues coming up this year.?

DeAngelo was an offensive driver from the back end, recording 30 points (4-26) in 61 games, with 20 points (4-16) at even-strength. Elevated onto the first pair the final six weeks after replacing Neal Pionk on Marc Staal?s right side, DeAngelo is likely to open as the second-pair righty, perhaps with Staal on his left, perhaps with Libor Hajek or Ryan Lindgren.

And he will be a significant component on the second power play unit, perhaps teaming on the blue line with fellow American righty defenseman Adam Fox. Regardless, DeAngelo will receive a heaping amount of opportunity while playing on this contract that will lead him into a salary arbitration-eligible summer. A productive season and DeAngelo will be looking at a two-year deal in the range of $3.25-to-3.75 million per season. Maybe more.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/23/rangers-will-give-tony-deangelo-every-chance-to-earn-huge-raise/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

This is a big year for Tony for a million reasons. Contract, sure, but he's also been bumped squarely down the depth chart twice over by Trouba and Fox - both of whom have contracts with some term and both of whom are capable of outproducing ADA quite nicely.

I'd reckon that it's going to take a herculean season to get him the deal he'd want, and it's entirely possible that the deal he gets is to another team for a young mid-six center.

Fox hasn't played a single professional hockey game in his career.

I'd maybe pump the brakes a bit.

Fox is signed beyond this year and it's probably reasonable to think he'd be able to match ADAs production from '18-'19. No need to pump the brakes. ADA is conceptually redundant on this team until he proves otherwise; his "play two of every three games" pro career so far isn't enough to change that he's got a lot to prove and has been effectively knocked down the pecking order.

Right now DeAngelo has to be the 2RHD ahead of Fox. There is no way Fox has earned that right or that ice time over DeAngelo.

Out of the gate, I expect these pairings and rough ice times:

Skjei/Trouba: 25 min

Staal/DeAngelo: 20 min

Hajek/Fox: 15 min

I see Hajek leapfrogging Staal before Fox leapfrogging DeAngelo...at even strength anyway.

I see Skjei still being a disaster in his own end and at ES falling behind Staal and that's sad. Jury still out for me with Fox and ADA not sure either has done anything to set the high expectations some have here. Potential as a wise man once said is something that hasn't been done at this point in time.

My guess is this. If Fox compares anything to DeAngelo, he needs to bump over him.

And I’ll also predict he starts seeing as much, if not more PP time than Trouba

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think Fox is third-pair, PP1 by like December. Basically Shattenkirk lol

It's weird to think, but there's a decent chance that Trouba is their third-best RHD on the PP. He's got the hardest shot, but he hasn't looked particularly great at getting it through yet.

Maybe if ADA didn’t hold out before when he had zero leverage, he would have been ahead of Fox.......

Well based on the article, he is ahead of Fox. Who knows how it will play out, but it's hard to imagine that Staal/ADA isn't the second pair come game 1.

He didn't hold out long enough to warrant any type of demotion. Coaches, generally, respect the business side of things too.

I believe after watching Smith, he may really earn a spot on the roster and not as the 7th D. He worked hard and didn't take any stupid penalties so far. I was impressed by how hard he hustles in the play as well as behind the play against the Islanders.

He is going to make it hard for the team to send him to Hartford if he keeps playing like he has been.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I believe after watching Smith, he may really earn a spot on the roster and not as the 7th D. He worked hard and didn't take any stupid penalties so far. I was impressed by how hard he hustles in the play as well as behind the play against the Islanders.

He is going to make it hard for the team to send him to Hartford if he keeps playing like he has been.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I think him ending up in Hartford is more a cap thing, but yea.

Smith's problem is that he's not instinctive enough for his athleticism. He's like Skjei in that sense. That's why he'll be mostly strong at defending the blueline and 1-1, but shit at making a first pass.

I don’t think Fox looks bad out there. ADA needs to be better defensively this year, and right now, I think Fox is showing a better defensive game than ADA has at this point.

Fox has shown way more defensively to me than DeAngelo, but I haven't yet seen him take that next step offensively that I've seen from DeAngelo.