• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Avs Unwilling to Give Rantanen Marner-Level Money

Phil

The Colorado Avalanche are not prepared to give restricted free-agent forward Mikko Rantanen the same money Mitch Marner will earn on his new contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.

Marner, who was also a restricted free-agent winger following his third NHL season, signed a six-year, $65.36-million pact with the Leafs last week. The deal carries an average annual value of $10.89 million.

The Avalanche made Rantanen a long-term offer earlier in September but negotiations have not progressed much since then, LeBrun adds.

Rantanen's agent, Mike Liut, said Wednesday he is "not close" to landing a new deal for his client.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1836502

Shame for both sides.

MacKinnon deal really lowered the bar there. He's got a shit agent.

I'd be furious if I was MacKinnon. Doesn't seem to have f'd with his work ethic at all though.

still, he should be getting close to a max deal

I don't blame the Avs for not wanting to give Rantanen a Marner-esque deal just yet but given the market, it seems like its a bit unavoidable

What's wrong with MacKinnon's contract? He was a 50 point player when he signed. Far from the 100 point player he is today. He chose long term security over a shorter bridge deal. That's the risk you run, but let's not act like he was a can't miss player when he signed that deal. The Avs had plenty of risk going 7 years at the time.