• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers/Devils Preseason Game #1 • 9/18/19 • 7pm, MSG

Phil

McKegg was solid, and I think he won a very good percentage of his faceoffs as well. really good effort from a much needed position.

I'm really liking Fox's hockey IQ so far. Seems he knows where he's going with the puck as soon as he gets it. He also is good at making space in the offensive zone. He also plays a little bigger than he is. We may have snagged a diamond in the rough with him...we shall see.

I know it's a small sample, but I think McKegg and Boo can adequately handle any 4th-line duties that Namest/Strome might have. Those 4 are all pretty redundant with how the top-6 is shaking out, so I wonder if the delay in trading Namest/Strome was making sure other guys could replace them there.

Yea, Fox was good. He actually looked bigger than I thought he was, too. I think it's only a matter of time before he's on PP1 instead of Trouba. Just looks a lot more natural in the OZ.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did not get to watch. How did Fox/Hajek look? For young D-men, no news may be good news.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Fox is a fantastic player. He's confident and supremely skilled with the puck. Didn't have any "stand out" moments but overall just a very good showing and a continuation from Traverse City.

Hajek was solid as well. Not flashy at all but looks like he did last year when he just made the right play every time. He'll make the team.

I thought the PP looked awkward with all the Righties trying to occupy the same space

Really? I thought the PP looked the best it's looked in years. Kakko, Trouba, Panarin in the umbrella can do things with the puck that no Rangers have been able to do in a long long time (including shoot the one-timer). Kreider and Mika should have had goals quite honestly, and that's not including the 3 posts that were hit. It was a shooting gallery.

It's the same PP the lightning use. Run it through Kucherov on the RW boards and have 3 different righty shooters for one-timers.

From left to right - Panarin, Zib, Trouba = Stamkos, Point, Hedman.

Puts a lot of pressure on Kakko, which I wouldn't have really expected right away, but he looked good in that role.

It's the same PP the lightning use. Run it through Kucherov on the RW boards and have 3 different righty shooters for one-timers.

Puts a lot of pressure on Kakko, which I wouldn't have really expected right away, but he looked good in that role.

I wonder if that'll be Buch's role when the season starts and Kakko moves to 2nd unit.

Either way, that's the most one-timers ive ever seen the Rangers take.

I wonder if that'll be Buch's role when the season starts and Kakko moves to 2nd unit.

Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. That structure works because of how good Kakko is at possessing the puck along the boards. Buch would be better served as the shooter - like Panarin - on the other side.

Hedman is a lefty.

They have Kreider down low shifting between the front of the net and behind the goal line and Zib in the high or low slot, depending on where the puck is. Kakko and Panarin on the half walls and Trouba on top.

The idea is the Kakko and Pararin get the PKers moving out of the middle of the ice and creating lanes. Kakko has 3 options for one times in Zib, Panarin and Trouba...if Trouba shoots there are 2 layers of players screening. Kakko also has an option of dishing off to Krieder, Panarin can either shoot off a pass from Kakko or Trouba, or try to go back to Kakko.

Buch would probably be on the second unit because, well...Someone has to be.

Here's the update on Panarin:

Artemi Panarin exited Wednesday's 4-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils with an apparent mild groin strain.

New York’s prized free agent signing left the contest with what’s being described as a "mild groin strain" after scoring on the powerplay in the second period. Panarin didn’t see the ice for the final 6:16 of the second and was held out entirely in the third, but Rangers coach David Quinn didn’t sound concerned after the game. "More precautionary than anything," Quinn said. "He should be fine."

Source: Rangers.NHL.com

Sep 19, 2019, 12:39 AM ET

Nothing on Kakko at all...Seems he banged his knee and he played the shift right after it. Just looked sore and that's it.....whew!

...and what's with that fucking number 45??? I thought Boo gave up #24 for him???

I hope he settles on a number soon! I gotta get me that jersey! :worship:

I just want to come out of preseason as healthy as possible. Sure it's important to build team chemistry and play with line combinations, but hell, it sucks when you see someone struggling with an injury in a game that doesn't contribute to the standings

Really? I thought the PP looked the best it's looked in years. Kakko, Trouba, Panarin in the umbrella can do things with the puck that no Rangers have been able to do in a long long time (including shoot the one-timer). Kreider and Mika should have had goals quite honestly, and that's not including the 3 posts that were hit. It was a shooting gallery.

I think it’s a bunch of good players, not a good PP. idk. Just looked weird. Like the guy from the dog movie with two left feet. Or maybe its a Semi Pro alley oop feeling

Hey Future, wouldn't be great to have a guy that thrives on that kind of pressure again? ;)

I love when they shoot it! With the players we're putting out there, these guys are going to have nights where they fill the net....Let's just hope those days are sooner than later! LOL

He's absolutely not your Al McInnis type, but he has a very quick and effective wrist shot.

He moves the puck very well, and seems to think at a very high level. You can almost see/feel he's got a knack for the offense. He also didn't disappoint me defensively. He was in position pretty much all night and didn't get caught or turn the puck over one time...I was counting, Gravy!! :rofl: