• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Athletic: Breaking Down Kaapo Kakko’s Unique Blend of Skill and Power

Pete

Maybe we can use the thread to discuss Kappo Kakko?

Loved the in depth analysis of things that happen on the ice, his decision making process, what his goals are and how he uses his skills to get where he needs to be. Would prefer "nerding out" to this over shot share any day.

The only thing not discussed about Kakko since the draft is his diet...we're covering that now! ;)

Nah, seriously man, we've heard it all by now, and I'm sure I'm not speaking just for myself, but we're all really looking forward to seeing him play a game. There will be plenty to talk about after we see him give it a go! Didn't mean to detract from your post, boss!

Maybe we can use the thread to discuss Kappo Kakko?

Loved the in depth analysis of things that happen on the ice, his decision making process, what his goals are and how he uses his skills to get where he needs to be. Would prefer "nerding out" to this over shot share any day.

most of us are not subscribed to the Athletic. We cant see the article, nothing to discuss

in looking at some youtube footage of him the first thing that stands out is his strength on the puck, especially in the corners. the other thing is his strength. i would imagine that some guys will want to hit him and from what i've seen you would do that at your own peril.

The way he uses his size and strength to protect the puck and maneuver around the ice, along with his ability to handle the puck in tight spaces, reminds me A LOT of Jagr.

The way he uses his size and strength to protect the puck and maneuver around the ice, along with his ability to handle the puck in tight spaces, reminds me A LOT of Jagr.

I was thinking the same thing, even though their styles are somewhat different. The article knocks his speed but that?s not his game. You never saw Jagr beat defenders with his speed like a Mckinnon does (or very rarely). This kid is the real deal and I have a feeling he?s going to have a memorable rookie year.

Also I sucked it up and joined the athletic just to read this so let?s hope it?s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing, even though their styles are somewhat different. The article knocks his speed but that’s not his game. You never saw Jagr beat defenders with his speed like a Mckinnon does (or very rarely). This kid is the real deal and I have a feeling he’s going to have a memorable rookie year.

Also I sucked it up and joined the athletic just to read this so let’s hope it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I really meant that aspect of their games are the same. Obviously Jagr had a world class shooting ability to go with those traits, but it even took him 5-6 years to really become an elite goal scorer.

I have not seen enough from Kakko shooting wise to know how good that part of his game is. If he had a Jagr-like rookie year (80GP, 27 goals, 30 assists), I would be ecstatic.

Jagr said when he first got here from Europe, he didn't know how to take a wrist shot or a one timer. He'd scored all his goals by just deking around the goalie.

With the game more open than Jagr rookie year, I'm calling 73 points for Kakko. ? 5.

The two paragraphs that matter most:

To fully understand how Kakko creates sequences like those with obscene frequency, we must first understand the little skill details of his game. Namely: Physicality, footwork, and puckhandling. It’s impossible to separate the three in Kakko’s case because they work in symphony to raise their impact far beyond their isolated ability.

It’s essential to understand the purpose of all those cutbacks, hits, and protection. Kakko is generally using those maneuvers to create space; not just any kind of space, but the area to pivot and face the slot. On the perimeter, the most dangerous position for a player to be is facing the slot because it allows them to (a) identify their passing and shooting options, (b) identify defenders, and © provides escape options in all four directions.