Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1302

Thread: The Democratic Primaries: Joe Biden is the Nominee

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Agreed. Moderation in the face of an emergency is arguably obstruction. I will be interested in what effect the Biden-Bernie task forces ultimately have on the Dem platform. There is more than a small chance that the Biden program is - by a pretty good distance - the most progressive in history.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Should he be elected, he'll bring with him the most progressive agenda by a Democratic candidate in history.

His history as a political deal-maker can be all the difference in making right by that.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Donors Rally to Biden in Wake of Trump’s Response to Protests

Democratic donors are pouring money into Joe Biden’s campaign in the wake of the protests spurred by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last week.

Two fundraisers said President Donald Trump’s response to the protests and violence that has accompanied some of them have motivated donors to give even more to support Biden.
    “As a ‘bundler,’ you’re usually out chasing the bundle but now the bundle is chasing me,” said John Morgan, a longtime Florida-based Democratic fundraiser and one of Biden’s biggest backers. Bundlers raise contributions for candidates and parties from their professional and personal networks and “bundle” them together.

Employees of Morgan’s law firm, Morgan & Morgan, gave Biden more than $435,000, his third largest source of funds for the primary. Those donations were capped at $2,800, but now Morgan, who’s preparing to raise bigger sums in the general election, can collect bigger checks through different channels.

Biden has set up a fundraising vehicle that can accept much bigger amounts, split between the Democratic National Committee, his campaign and 26 state parties, the general election fundraising will far outpace the primaries. He says he’s fielded multiple calls this week from donors who can write large checks – the maximum donation is now $620,300 – asking how they can support the campaign.

“It’s a whole new ballgame,” Morgan said. And it could help Biden narrow the financial advantage Trump, who faced no serious primary opposition, has built for November.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mpression=true
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Should he be elected, he'll bring with him the most progressive agenda by a Democratic candidate in history.

His history as a political deal-maker can be all the difference in making right by that.
    Just wish he was at least 10 years younger

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    If that holds, Trump literally has no path to victory. Those three states give Biden a presumptive 272 electoral votes.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    If that holds, Trump literally has no path to victory. Those three states give Biden a presumptive 272 electoral votes.
    271, I believe, but yup. And that's not yet accounting for Biden potentially flipping North Carolina, Florida, and Pennsylvania. Add Michigan (Biden +4) and you're in landslide territory (351).
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Bantam Division
    271, I believe, but yup. And that's not yet accounting for Biden potentially flipping North Carolina, Florida, and Pennsylvania. Add Michigan (Biden +4) and you're in landslide territory (351).
    Please do not use the L-word before election night, preferably after 11:00. The last 2 months took 3 years to pass. There is way too far to go to assume anything sticks as is.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200603/quinnipiac-poll-trump-biden-too-tight-to-tellrsquo-in-texas

President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden are locked in a tight contest in Texas, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

“Too tight to tell in Texas,” Quinnipiac University polling analyst Tim Malloy said. “It’s a huge battleground state, it’s neck and neck, so this may be the most important state of all — and it’s right dead even. What drama.”

In the survey of 1,166 self-identified registered voters in Texas conducted May 28 to June 1, Trump had 1 percentage point over Biden — 44% to 43% — five months out from the general election.

The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.

Trump defeated Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton by 9 points in Texas in 2016, down from Mitt Romney’s margin of 16 points over President Barack Obama in 2012.

If Democrats were to take Texas in 2020, it would be almost impossible for Republicans to put together an Electoral College majority for Trump’s reelection.

The poll also found continued weak numbers for U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who is seeking a third term in November in an election that could place GOP control of the Senate at risk.

Despite a long time on the Texas political stage, Cornyn had a job approval/disapproval rating that was split down the middle, 37% to 36%, a small slump from 41% to 34% in September.
    I refuse to use the L word, since we all know Trump isn't above foreign interference, but this is starting to look like a very, very different electoral map than four years ago.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Call me ignorant because I have never voted in a primary before (this was going to be my first) But If Biden clinched it already why even continue to have the remaining primaries?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because primaries aren't only for POTUS. They go all the way down the ballot and include your local senators and representatives.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Because primaries aren't only for POTUS. They go all the way down the ballot and include your local senators and representatives.
    Should have figured that. I’ll rep ya when I’m on a computer - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Call me ignorant because I have never voted in a primary before (this was going to be my first) But If Biden clinched it already why even continue to have the remaining primaries?

That's a really good question. Aside from Phil's response...

I suppose traditionally, a candidate would not have the support of the party so overtly as it has been in most of our lifetimes right off the bat. We generally know by Super Tuesday who the two candidates will be, but historically, that's not normal. Conventions, first and foremost, were to decide on the candidate and the VP. They're known prior now, and are often confirmed with voice votes. That's a phenomenon borne of modern media and better technology - after the 60s and early 70s, parties realized that it was better to project unity at conventions - and has been the case at least for most of our lifetimes.

Today, I think it's more market research, especially as the electoral map evolves, and "traditionally" red/blue states become more purple.
    Hidden Content

https://www.newsweek.com/amy-mcgrath...-shows-1509691

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE
    Hidden Content

https://www.newsweek.com/amy-mcgrath...-shows-1509691

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE
    Time to adopt a state.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Time to adopt a state.
    In a state on the list. Adopting my neighborhood.
    Hidden Content

Trump Campaign Demands CNN apologize for poll

In the letter to Zucker, the Trump campaign argued that the CNN poll is "designed to mislead American voters through a biased questionnaire and skewed sampling."

"It's a stunt and a phony poll to cause voter suppression, stifle momentum and enthusiasm for the President, and present a false view generally of the actual support across America for the President," read the letter, signed by the Trump campaign's senior legal adviser Jenna Ellis and chief operating officer Michael Glassner.

The campaign formally requested that CNN retract the poll and publish a "full, fair, and conspicuous retraction, apology, and clarification to correct its misleading conclusions."

David Vigilante, CNN's executive vice president and general counsel, told the campaign that its "allegations and demands are rejected in their entirety."

"To my knowledge, this is the first time in its 40-year history that CNN had been threatened with legal action because an American politician or campaign did not like CNN's polling results," Vigilante wrote in his response. "To the extent we have received legal threats from political leaders in the past, they have typically come from countries like Venezuela or other regimes where there is little or no respect for a free and independent media."
    Hidden Content

That's a really good question. Aside from Phil's response...

I suppose traditionally, a candidate would not have the support of the party so overtly as it has been in most of our lifetimes right off the bat. We generally know by Super Tuesday who the two candidates will be, but historically, that's not normal. Conventions, first and foremost, were to decide on the candidate and the VP. They're known prior now, and are often confirmed with voice votes. That's a phenomenon borne of modern media and better technology - after the 60s and early 70s, parties realized that it was better to project unity at conventions - and has been the case at least for most of our lifetimes.

Today, I think it's more market research, especially as the electoral map evolves, and "traditionally" red/blue states become more purple.
    Thanks for this too

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens