Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1302

Thread: The Democratic Primaries: Joe Biden is the Nominee

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

Biden: 'More than one African American woman' being considered for VP

Former Vice President Joe Biden said Friday that more than one African American woman is being considered to be his running mate.

Biden shared the detail during an interview on MSNBC as host Craig Melvin pressed him about renewed speculation about who might be his No. 2 on the Democratic ticket.

Melvin questioned whether demonstrations in Minneapolis and other cities across the country protesting police-involved deaths of unarmed black people were influencing Biden's decision.

“I have already said I'm going to pick a Supreme Court justice who is a woman of color. I have already said my Cabinet will be full of people of — women of color, men and women of color. And I also already said that there are women of color under consideration,” Biden said in the interview.

“That is not the only criteria to determine who will be the vice president of the United States of America that I'll choose as a running mate. It is just beginning, the process. I guarantee you, there are more — there's more than one — there's more than one African American woman being considered for vice president," he added. "I promise you that.”
    Among those floated as possible running mates are Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams and Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), all of whom are black, though Biden is also known to be considering a broad swath of women.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...sidered-for-vp
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

The VP Choice Everyone Is Missing

Joe Biden’s concern about the national-security impact of the coronavirus has led him to weigh picking the Obama-administration national security adviser Susan Rice as his running mate, according to several people who’ve spoken privately with the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee in recent weeks.

Rice is well known in Washington, but has a much lower national profile than most of the other women being considered, and comes with few conventional political upsides. She isn’t particularly likely to be selected, people inside the campaign say (some who have spoken about her with Biden see her as a more likely pick for secretary of defense or secretary of state), and Rice has told confidants that she knows that.

But the interest Biden has expressed in Rice reflects his concerns that the ongoing economic and public-health crisis the U.S. faces may require him to pick a strong national-security hand as his running mate.

That perceived need for someone with national-security experience is also why Jim Clyburn, the South Carolina congressman and majority whip in the House who made a powerful endorsement of the former vice president, included Rice on the list of suggestions he gave Biden, Clyburn told me.
    Before Rice became national security adviser, she served as Obama’s first United Nations ambassador. But although she has advised three presidential campaigns, she has never run for office herself. She’s also the star of Republican fever dreams about a Benghazi cover-up, and now the “unmasking” of Michael Flynn, her successor as national security adviser who was caught making assurances to the Russian ambassador. Supporters of Donald Trump have seized on an email she wrote to herself on the day of his inauguration, detailing an Oval Office meeting several weeks earlier with Biden, Barack Obama, and then–FBI Director James Comey discussing concerns about Flynn’s contact with Russians. Trump allies have insisted that the email, which appears to be purposefully memorializing the conversation for later reference, was part of a larger attempt to frame Flynn, though this is an idea that exists only in the ambiguous conspiracy of half-cooked allegations Trump calls Obamagate.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-rice/612115/
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    According to the polls Trump just digging his own grave. Biden isnt doing much but widens the lead. Kind of funny

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    According to the polls Trump just digging his own grave. Biden isnt doing much but widens the lead. Kind of funny
    Rule #1 of any competition - never stop someone from shooting themselves in the foot.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Yup. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Biden's VP choice just got simpler. He needs Kamala Harris or Val Demings

Joe Biden has a profound opportunity, if he chooses to take it. It starts with picking Sen. Kamala Harris or Rep. Val Demings as his running mate.

Biden, Harris and Demings all have come under criticism for overly tough or insufficiently reformist approaches to law enforcement and criminal justice in their earlier respective roles as Senate Judiciary Committee chairman, prosecutor and police chief. With George Floyd dead in Minneapolis, American cities burning and President Donald Trump fanning the flames, the historic moment has now rushed forward to meet them.

Harris is the daughter of immigrants, a Jamaican economist and an Indian breast cancer researcher. She grew up in a modest neighborhood and, as she told Biden in an attack on his 1970s anti-busing position, was bused to a better school in a wealthier, whiter neighborhood. The confrontation shocked Biden and backfired on Harris, who later dropped out of the Democratic presidential race and endorsed him. But that fearless engagement would be an advantage against a Republican ticket.

Demings is a descendant of slaves, the daughter of a maid and a janitor, the last of seven children and the first in her family to go to college. She became a social worker, then a night patrol officer, then chief of police, then a member of Congress and an impeachment manager in Trump’s Senate trial. Like Harris, she would take the fight to the GOP.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/5299142002/
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I thought that a his ability to choose a white running mate started to slip away with the radio interview gone awry, then disappeared entirely with the unfolding of the George Floyd killing. Ex-prosecutor from Florida; what's not to like? Can talk about criminal justice and impeachment backwards and forwards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I thought that a his ability to choose a white running mate started to slip away with the radio interview gone awry, then disappeared entirely with the unfolding of the George Floyd killing. Ex-prosecutor from Florida; what's not to like? Can talk about criminal justice and impeachment backwards and forwards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Her record as a former Police Chief of Orlando.

It's Kamala. It's probably always been Kamala. She hits basically every check box. Attack dog. Progressive (enough). Future party leader. Future POTUS shoe-in. Plus the immutable ones (woman, black, multi-racial family).
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Her record as a former Police Chief of Orlando.

It's Kamala. It's probably always been Kamala. She hits basically every check box. Attack dog. Progressive (enough). Future party leader. Future POTUS shoe-in. Plus the immutable ones (woman, black, multi-racial family).
    I'll see your "tough on crime" era record critique and raise you the argument that if Kamala checked every box, she would be from FL, MI, WI, or PA.

https://theappeal.org/kamala-harris-...sidential-run/

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I'll see your "tough on crime" era record critique and raise you the argument that if Kamala checked every box, she would be from FL, MI, WI, or PA.

https://theappeal.org/kamala-harris-...sidential-run/

Accurate. I'm not saying don't go with Denings. I'm saying there are drawbacks. Kamala — routinely called a cop by the woke left — also has a checkered history from her time as a prosecutor.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Accurate. I'm not saying don't go with Denings. I'm saying there are drawbacks. Kamala — routinely called a cop by the woke left — also has a checkered history from her time as a prosecutor.
    I think they are potentially both able and worthy. But c'mon, Demings rides a Harley! There's also something about a less intelligencia, more working class background that could potentially appeal to the world of Souls to the Polls. But mine is the last opinion to take on that. I'm sure there will be much fleshing out by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Most of all, she's from Florida, which is currently in play.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

I think no matter the choice, especially if you go with someone with a legal/law enforcement background - there's a checkered history. Kamala Harris isn't liberal enough, Demings hasn't got a lot of national experience, Klobuchar is a non-starter given the events of the last few days, etc. etc.

I'll say this much - Demings and her husband are both VERY well respected right now in Orlando.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I think no matter the choice, especially if you go with someone with a legal/law enforcement background - there's a checkered history. Kamala Harris isn't liberal enough, Demings hasn't got a lot of national experience, Klobuchar is a non-starter given the events of the last few days, etc. etc.

I'll say this much - Demings and her husband are both VERY well respected right now in Orlando.
    that is a good thing. you don't want to attract other liberals exclusively, you want the moderates. Being too liberal may turn voters off

that is a good thing. you don't want to attract other liberals exclusively, you want the moderates. Being too liberal may turn voters off
    Just addressing the criticism Phil brought up. That said, there should be absolutely no reason to pander to the moderates when Biden's already plenty appealing to most moderates, and the guy on the other side is a wannabe Kim Jong Un divisive fascist backed up by a Jesus Take The Wheel first amendment violating science denier. The current administration is radical right, and moderates, by definition, don't vote for radical anything.

Moderates have one choice in this election. Biden. Else, they're simply not moderates; they're just lying to themselves to claim a moral high ground.
    Hidden Content

So would being too moderate. The Democratic base isn't homogeneous. They're a multi-level mix of groups/affiliations and span a wider margin of the political spectrum than their GOP counterparts.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    So would being too moderate. The Democratic base isn't homogeneous. They're a multi-level mix of groups/affiliations and span a wider margin of the political spectrum than their GOP counterparts.
    whats too moderate?

Dem party is multi-level mix but having a too liberal may turn those who are closer to center off. The majority of people are around the center. most don't like and don't associate with extremes and that's why Biden has a very good chance. He's not an extreme

whats too moderate?
    Not enough effort one way or the other. Real centrism is pragmatic. Political centrism is often taking PC routes to avoid conflict rather than addressing issues head on.

Dem party is multi-level mix but having a too liberal may turn those who are closer to center off. The majority of people are around the center. most don't like and don't associate with extremes and that's why Biden has a very good chance. He's not an extreme
    I'm aware. He's running a pretty moderate campaign relative to the field he defeated. And the plurality of the nation agrees with almost his entire agenda. He'll be fine.

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Not enough effort one way or the other. Real centrism is pragmatic. Political centrism is often taking PC routes to avoid conflict rather than addressing issues head on.

I'm aware. He's running a pretty moderate campaign relative to the field he defeated. And the plurality of the nation agrees with almost his entire agenda. He'll be fine.

Agreed. Moderation in the face of an emergency is arguably obstruction. I will be interested in what effect the Biden-Bernie task forces ultimately have on the Dem platform. There is more than a small chance that the Biden program is - by a pretty good distance - the most progressive in history.

Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast