Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Candidates

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Not to digress too much but I thought this was relevant seeing how Trump got in via Electoral College.

Our Federal Election was last night and the Trudeau Liberals will again form government. The Conservatives actually won the popular vote by a wide margin.

What's funny is that the Libs promised electoral reform last time around and had they followed through on that it would be a conservative government.

Anyways, carry on.
    Sorry, man. It's bullshit to lose a popular vote and still win the election.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The point I was making was that she's not a Democrat. Not in today's party, at least. Which thoroughly explains the lack of enthusiasm for her candidacy, regardless of what Clinton said, which was monumentally short-sighted and stupid.
    JFK wouldn't be a Dem in todays party

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Sorry, man. It's bullshit to lose a popular vote and still win the election.
    I voted for the PPC, which was hilariously branded as crazy racist extremists for simply wanting to shrink government. It's really a De Tocquevillian party, which isn't allowed in polite society. We got 1% of the vote lol.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Chief View Post
    I mean, that's possible, sure. But this same exercise would hold true of either party if you look at the right candidates. I'm pretty sure Theodore Roosevelt and Eisenhower would recoil at today's GOP, for example.

The point on Gabbard is that she's running as a Democrat in today's party despite holding very little common ground with the party's principle positions.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Bantam Division
    I mean, that's possible, sure. But this same exercise would hold true of either party if you look at the right candidates. I'm pretty sure Theodore Roosevelt and Eisenhower would recoil at today's GOP, for example.

The point on Gabbard is that she's running as a Democrat in today's party despite holding very little common ground with the party's principle positions.
    I’m pretty sure most people who consider themselves republican recoil at the party. It’s why trump won the nomination. Because people are tired of the corrupt bullshit in Washington. Both parties. That is not to say trump isn’t majorly flawed. But the labeling of deplorable and white nationalist of his supporters is lazy and infuriating. The media, the left, etc do it all the time. I for one don’t care what pronoun you use. What goes on in your bedroom, what color, race or creed you are. I want you and I to happy with as little as possible interference from others telling you or me what I have to do or think. I don’t need lectures on climate change by people who play fantasy for a living and fly around in private jets telling me my carbon footprint is a problem. I don’t need politicians telling me my born privilege is a problem while I work 365 days a year to afford a middle class lifestyle. All the while their son sits on company boards with no good reason other than his actual privilege. Please just leave me to make decisions for me and my family. Yes I do know better than the givernment for what my needs are

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    JFK's activism on civil rights would not be saleable to today's GOP. If not a Dem, he'd be man without a party.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    I’m pretty sure most people who consider themselves republican recoil at the party. It’s why trump won the nomination. Because people are tired of the corrupt bullshit in Washington. Both parties. That is not to say trump isn’t majorly flawed. But the labeling of deplorable and white nationalist of his supporters is lazy and infuriating. The media, the left, etc do it all the time. I for one don’t care what pronoun you use. What goes on in your bedroom, what color, race or creed you are. I want you and I to happy with as little as possible interference from others telling you or me what I have to do or think. I don’t need lectures on climate change by people who play fantasy for a living and fly around in private jets telling me my carbon footprint is a problem. I don’t need politicians telling me my born privilege is a problem while I work 365 days a year to afford a middle class lifestyle. All the while their son sits on company boards with no good reason other than his actual privilege. Please just leave me to make decisions for me and my family. Yes I do know better than the givernment for what my needs are
    Believe it or not, I don't disagree with much of this. Minus the deplorable/white nationalist stuff, which is rooted in rising trends and fact.

But again, the point I was making on Gabbard is that she barely qualifies as a Democrat. She adopted the name but leans a bit right on far too many issues to be taken seriously as a Democratic 2020 contender.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Bantam Division
    On that note good night to the political talk

HNIC BSBH Legend
    This sounds like someone who supports Trump. Are you saying you recoil at the Republican party...Because by this post it means you support Trump...But you've both said you're not Trump supporters.

Just trying to follow along and figure it all out.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I always said I would vote Hilary if she ran, because I felt like she was above the party. She showed the opposite during her campaign. And then Trump was claiming what people like me were looking for.

I still think he's doing something good. You have to be to get so many people in congress to hate you.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

The only people who hate him are Democrats (in Congress). He has an incredibly high approval rating among Republicans.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The only people who hate him are Democrats (in Congress). He has an incredibly high approval rating among Republicans.
    They hate him but won't poll that way.

That said, it's just not false equivalency (think I'm using that right?) That because Congress hates you, you're doing something right.

Pretty sur Congress would hate anyone who's a traitor... Oh, wait ...

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Agreed
    Also, Eisenhower and the other great republicans of the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s wouldn’t have anything to do with their current party

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They hate him but won't poll that way.

That said, it's just not false equivalency (think I'm using that right?) That because Congress hates you, you're doing something right.

Pretty sur Congress would hate anyone who's a traitor... Oh, wait ...
    I think it's a bit of wishful thinking to say that they hate him but won't poll that way. It might be fair to say that they hate him but fear the backlash of potentially becoming the target of his latest Twitter tantrum.

Trump as a phenomenon is a deal with the devil for the GOP. They bargained that they'd be able to get judges, Supreme Court seats, tax cuts for their donors, and deregulation in exchange for having the face of the GOP be...well...Trump. A narcissistic, racist, criminal simpleton in exchange for control of the judiciary and a massive influx of donor wealth. I doubt they had "committed acts of treason to get elected" high on the list of things they'd have expected.

That it's an acceptable trade in the minds of a subset of Americans is questionable at best: the tax cuts were a money funnel from the average guy to the rich guy (and ain't nobody on this board rich by these standards), the control of the judiciary is subversive of the checks and balances system, deregulation has serious consequences for literally everyone, and don't even get me started on the Supreme Court. That nominations are even subject to partisan stalling is an incredible abuse of the system.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I think it's a bit of wishful thinking to say that they hate him but won't poll that way. It might be fair to say that they hate him but fear the backlash of potentially becoming the target of his latest Twitter tantrum.

Trump as a phenomenon is a deal with the devil for the GOP. They bargained that they'd be able to get judges, Supreme Court seats, tax cuts for their donors, and deregulation in exchange for having the face of the GOP be...well...Trump. A narcissistic, racist, criminal simpleton in exchange for control of the judiciary and a massive influx of donor wealth. I doubt they had "committed acts of treason to get elected" high on the list of things they'd have expected.

That it's an acceptable trade in the minds of a subset of Americans is questionable at best: the tax cuts were a money funnel from the average guy to the rich guy (and ain't nobody on this board rich by these standards), the control of the judiciary is subversive of the checks and balances system, deregulation has serious consequences for literally everyone, and don't even get me started on the Supreme Court. That nominations are even subject to partisan stalling is an incredible abuse of the system.
    I don't think it's wishful thinking.

I think there are plenty of people who support him and are embarrassed, so they are dishonest in the polls. Part of the reason the election was so surprising...Among politicians, it's the opposite. They love him because he keeps them rich and in power...But as a man they hate him.

I don't think it's wishful thinking.

I think there are plenty of people who support him and are embarrassed, so they are dishonest in the polls. Part of the reason the election was so surprising...Among politicians, it's the opposite. They love him because he keeps them rich and in power...But as a man they hate him.
    Among Congress? Or am I conflating something here?

I'd imagine that'd manifest itself among the general population as a change in approval ratings. We'd see ebbs and flows in his disapproval/approval.

If so, that'd be hard to bear out. Trump's approval and disapproval have stayed almost unchanged over the last two years. It's remarkable, actually.

Unless, what you're saying, is that you believe that there are people out there who would never admit that they'll cast a vote for him, but will.
    Hidden Content

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Among Congress? Or am I conflating something here?

I'd imagine that'd manifest itself among the general population as a change in approval ratings. We'd see ebbs and flows in his disapproval/approval.

If so, that'd be hard to bear out. Trump's approval and disapproval have stayed almost unchanged over the last two years. It's remarkable, actually.

Unless, what you're saying, is that you believe that there are people out there who would never admit that they'll cast a vote for him, but will.
    I mean read the whole post not just the highlight LOL.

Let me rephrase.

I think there are plenty of the general population who support him and are embarrassed, so they are dishonest in the polls. Part of the reason the election was so surprising...Among politicians, it's the opposite. They love him because he keeps them rich and in power...But as a man they hate him.

So yes, I'm saying that there are people who'd never admit they voted for him.

I mean read the whole post not just the highlight LOL.

Let me rephrase.

I think there are plenty of the general population who support him and are embarrassed, so they are dishonest in the polls. Part of the reason the election was so surprising...Among politicians, it's the opposite. They love him because he keeps them rich and in power...But as a man they hate him.

So yes, I'm saying that there are people who'd never admit they voted for him.
    Ah, I read the the initial post in the chain as if you were talking about Congress. That's a bit clearer to me.
    Hidden Content

This sounds like someone who supports Trump. Are you saying you recoil at the Republican party...Because by this post it means you support Trump...But you've both said you're not Trump supporters.

Just trying to follow along and figure it all out.
    I don't LIKE him in the least. But I DO SUPPORT him only because of all the bullshit thrown at him 24/7 from all directions and the other crappy options (Dem candidates)

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast