• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Training Camp Thread

Phil

It’s a little surprising to see Chytil start in Hartford. But it’s probably a good thing. He’ll get big minutes every night down there, and depending on how they’re deployed, it will be interesting to potentially see him play a good chunk of those minutes with Kravtsov and to see what chemistry they might have or develop.

It isn’t a red flag for me. On either of them. The roster is improved, it’s more competitive and these younger guys need to play. A lot. And they aren’t going to get the minutes they need in NY. There will surely be injuries at some point and opportunities for any Hartford guys to step in. Neither had a particularly great camp or preseason, they’re 20 & 19, Chytil has less than 100 GP, and Kravtsov has 0. When you couple lack of experience with the opportunity to play more in the A, it’s almost a no-brainer.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still really wish we had given Bri Boyle a PTO and signed him as our 4th line center for 1m instead of bringing in a guy like Haley or Mckegg. Would have been a good fit and probably would have given us some return trade deadline if we really are out of it.

I still really wish we had given Bri Boyle a PTO and signed him as our 4th line center for 1m instead of bringing in a guy like Haley or Mckegg. Would have been a good fit and probably would have given us some return trade deadline if we really are out of it.

Apt point. If you had told me over the summer that Haley, McKegg, and Smith would all be on our opening roster, I would have been disappointed. I am disappointed now. As other posters have lamented, we've just had so many Haleys over the years, and we've never benefited.

It was always beyond wishful thinking just penciling in so many rookies onto the roster, especially so many that are still eligible for the world juniors. It’s understandable to be disappointed but it’s expected that every player develops at different speeds. Some never do.

I thought the same regarding Boyle over Haley. Was a 5'11", talentless Haley their only option? I liked McKegg in his ps games. I don't have a problem with his signing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Would have taken Boyle back in a heart beat. Did he sign anywhere? Not sure if his cap hit would have been too high or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I just read that he's still unsigned with as many as 5 teams interested, including Rangers. Most are trying to make moves to clear cap space.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Everyone on the 2018 4th line, plus others, leapfrogged him on the depth chart.

None of the roster decisions, this season or last season, were "by default".

As shown, the team didnt improve (they did upgrade 2 of their players that left).

This is a red flag, for Chytil and how the Rangers are developing players.

Quinn has made it clear that each kid is on a different track and that sending one or more down is dependent on the personal makeup of each one - not a straight 1-13 hierarchical depth chart. Last year at this time there were 3 available top 6 slots, maybe 4. This year there is 1 and it's with a higher degree of difficulty. They want him in a top 6 role, but it ain't happening yet.

They took a kid that was really good at Algebra and put him in advanced calculus, hoping that he'd pick it up on the fly. Now Chytil has to go to summer school to revisit the building blocks. No shame and he'll be better for it.

Kudos to the coaching staff for getting him what he needs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk