• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Evgeni Malkin Wanted Out of Pittsburgh if Phil Kessel Stayed

Phil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Penguins_seasons

Last two seasons, out in 2nd round, swept in first round by Islanders. Last season (in particular) was a big disappointment. Still a talented team but could things have been getting stale and in need of a shakeup?

https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts/penguins

Crosby and Malkin are the only 30+ year old in the forward depth chart, Letang and Jack Johnson in the defensemen. Pretty good looking roster for this season.

Article indirectly speaks to the idea that you need to have foreign born players surrounded by at least one other countryman. Malkin has been in the league for 13 years and still feels lonely because of the language barrier. Rangers having 5 Russians this year is a big deal. Having Mika on the team is a big deal for Kakko -- but it would be nice if Reunanan could eventually get here. Comfortability and lifestyle matters.

Article indirectly speaks to the idea that you need to have foreign born players surrounded by at least one other countryman. Malkin has been in the league for 13 years and still feels lonely because of the language barrier. Rangers having 5 Russians this year is a big deal. Having Mika on the team is a big deal for Kakko -- but it would be nice if Reunanan could eventually get here. Comfortability and lifestyle matters.

I think that’s been an issue in Hartford. Small city, less money, bus rides to other shithole cities. Haven’t been successful at getting foreign guys there, and to stay and that’s part of the issue.

At least with the Rangers, they have a ton of young guys coming through at the same time, and that’s another way to bond, even without countrymen

That's very true. But when Buch was our best prospect I was hoping they'd bring another older Russian player in to help him and people said I was wrong because "Kreider speaks russian." It's not the same thing. I'm hopeful for this group because of this very thing you mentioned.

At least with the Rangers, they have a ton of young guys coming through at the same time, and that’s another way to bond, even without countrymen

That's very true. But when Buch was our best prospect I was hoping they'd bring another older Russian player in to help him and people said I was wrong because "Kreider speaks russian." It's not the same thing. I'm hopeful for this group because of this very thing you mentioned.

I don't agree at all. Plenty of foreign players come to the US and are successful being the only player of that nationality on their team.

Of course, it 100% makes the transition easier, but when I read the entire article I see someone struggling with some degree of mental illness. The self doubt, the constant self critique, nothing is every good enough...He says the NHL hasn't seen his best hockey yet (really? You're 33...when is it coming?) he says he struggles to open up to his wife...I don't think having more Russians around would solve what's going on with him.

I mean that's just reading an article, I'm not a therapist or his therapist, but it's pretty easy to see some underlying issues.

Then of course you have Buch who looks like he wants to kick himself in the nuts even after he scores, so what do I know?

I don't agree at all. Plenty of foreign players come to the US and are successful being the only player of that nationality on their team.

Of course, it 100% makes the transition easier, but when I read the entire article I see someone struggling with some degree of mental illness. The self doubt, the constant self critique, nothing is every good enough...He says the NHL hasn't seen his best hockey yet (really? You're 33...when is it coming?) he says he struggles to open up to his wife...I don't think having more Russians around would solve what's going on with him.

I mean that's just reading an article, I'm not a therapist or his therapist, but it's pretty easy to see some underlying issues.

Then of course you have Buch who looks like he wants to kick himself in the nuts even after he scores, so what do I know?

I'm convinced Buch whips himself when he gets home from games.

he's gay, isn't he?