• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tony DeAngelo's Holdout

ThirtyONE

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand and don’t conpletely disagree with what you said.

Ultimately, it would be more beneficial for both guys to be there and grow with the team. And the team would benefit from both of the guys being there to work and develop with the team. With so much change and turnover, it’s more important than Han ever to be there as much as possible.

Oh, I don't disagree, but that's a separate issue IMO. Related, but ultimately separate. Once signed, I think it's an integral year for both of them. Especially DeAngelo, who is effectively in "shit or get off the pot" territory.

Who cares? The rangers are in rebuilding mode. Trying to establish an identity throughout their organization. While not every young player will develop into a star, those who develop into nhl players are very valuable. Acting like two kids who are nhl caliber can rot on the vine isn’t helpful for the rangers either. The rangers hold all the cards and I’m not saying they should pay them. But it does matter. Depth matters. Development matters. Competitive roster battles matter. Weeding out and identifying team chemistry matters. The rangers are hurt by them holding out no question.

The rangers are hurt by them holding out no question.

Absolutely. But, at this point, there is no money to pay them with. Holding out accomplishes a grand total of fuck all.

And, arguably, holding out hurts the players a lot more than it hurts the Rangers.

Lemieux has a great opportunity to play meaningful minutes every night and prove he's more than a fringe NHL'er. This is a golden opportunity for him, and to forego that for the sake of the minimal difference between his QO and the deal he'll eventually sign seems completely brainless. And let's be honest here. Whilst Lemieux is a lot of fun, he can be replaced in the lineup by Greg McKegg and the difference will be negligible.

For AdA, he has a chance to build on the second half of last season and really position himself for his next contract. He's basically got this season before the next wave of prospects come in, and if he wants to be a Ranger long term his time to stake a claim is now. Again, whilst he has half a leg to stand on compared to Lemieux, this seems like a very bad long term decision for him.

Lots of Lemiux hate on here apparently? I was under the impression we all liked the kid lol

I would definitely prefer to have him on the squad. We're a team full of rookies and it'd be nice to have someone who can stand up for them if anyone takes runs. I know he's no John Scott but he's not a terrible player. Toughness aside, I think Lemiux > Lettieri for that 4th line

It's just defensive stuff, pretending he's nothing so they don't have to confront the fact that they pooched the cap this summer.

But hey, enjoy Michael Haley.

do we even have money to sign him if he plays well in his PTO? lol

I get the thought process that says he is replaceable. But if they couldn't afford him and weren't planing on keeping him at all, there are plenty of teams that would give up a late draft pick for him. They would have moved him by now if they didn't have a plan in place to sign him. It really just comes down to being able to demote Belesky + Smith + Mckegg (does he actually count against our cap at the moment or is that just purely capgeek.com filling out our roster?)

Jets missing Laine hurts Jets.

Toronto missing Marner hurts Toronto.

Rangers missing ADA stings them, hurts him.

Missing Lem... Who? He won't be in the NHL soon.

Let's have some perspective.

This is a confusing perspective.

I agree he's not nearly as important as some of the other young guys but he does have an important role. The team is better with him in the lineup. He's 23, not 33.

Lemieux as I believe Phil has mentioned before is a guy you fall in love i when your team sucks and he comes in a shows a pulse. I really don't think he's in a position to be holding out. I mean one of the knocks on him was he wasn't in shape last season. He has no leverage here so to me he's making a big mistake.

ADA - another sign to me he's tone deaf when it comes to what it takes to be a good NHL'er. Again no leverage and he should be battling for a spot and moving his career forward. Shit like this makes it even harder for me to care one bit whether or not he plays another game here.

Next man up is fine for me for both these guys.

Lots of Lemiux hate on here apparently? I was under the impression we all liked the kid lol

I would definitely prefer to have him on the squad. We're a team full of rookies and it'd be nice to have someone who can stand up for them if anyone takes runs. I know he's no John Scott but he's not a terrible player. Toughness aside, I think Lemiux > Lettieri for that 4th line

It's just defensive stuff, pretending he's nothing so they don't have to confront the fact that they pooched the cap this summer.

But hey, enjoy Michael Haley.

This is a confusing perspective.

I agree he's not nearly as important as some of the other young guys but he does have an important role. The team is better with him in the lineup. He's 23, not 33.

I love Lemieux. I also wouldn't care if he never played on the team again. He's a fourth liner who's fun to watch. He's not Sean Avery (the one who paced 60 points).

He also has no leverage and hasn't earned a thing. So it is what it is at this point. If he doesn't want to play here, he could probably double his kill count in the Danish D league. Those checks are thirsty.

I don't think anyone is saying he will contribute as much offensively as Avery

but in regards to ADA and Lemiux, I don't think we'd have enough room if they both signed their Qualifying offers anyway.

Not that I'm basing it off of much, but what I would think is happening, is that they have deals lined up for these guys, but since they need to be under the cap by the time camp starts, they are waiting until they can demote other players before actually inking the contract.

I love Lemieux. I also wouldn't care if he never played on the team again. He's a fourth liner who's fun to watch. He's not Sean Avery (the one who paced 60 points).

He also has no leverage and hasn't earned a thing. So it is what it is at this point. If he doesn't want to play here, he could probably double his kill count in the Danish D league. Those checks are thirsty.

He put up decent stats his last 2 seasons in the OHL, going over a PPG in each. His last stint in the AHL saw .84 PPG, and he's at .25 PPG in the NHL with 72 games experience for the recently turned 23 year old.

He can obviously play in the NHL, and has potential to be more than a 4th line plug... but if he holds on, he's not helping that outlook.

He put up decent stats his last 2 seasons in the OHL, going over a PPG in each. His last stint in the AHL saw .84 PPG, and he's at .25 PPG in the NHL with 72 games experience for the recently turned 23 year old.

He can obviously play in the NHL, and has potential to be more than a 4th line plug... but if he holds on, he's not helping that outlook.

I hope he does become more. But he was gassed playing 11 mins a night... sign the QO, kid.

Perspective is of course they are not as missed as laine and such. They are hurting themselves the most. There isn’t money to sign them for more than the qo. The rangers did fuck io their cap assuming other players had trade value. As it stands they are replaceable. The point in having all these young kids is to find the players who aren’t easily replaceable and build. While all these things are true imo, them holding out hurts this organization. These are kids still trying to find their way in the league, they need camp and the process. The rangers need to see them play with no excuses to determine where they fit long term. Hard to believe the N.Y. rangers have players holding out over peanuts. This is the hard cap at its core. Ny fans get raped with ticket prices and the team can’t afford to pay modest raises to prospects.

what if ADA wants out of NYR because he sees no future here, hence not signing a contract? We probably would've heard something if that was true

I doubt it. I dont think he view himself is such a way,

Also, on twitter, he's liking tweets about him not settling, signing the QO, or people saying he deserves to get paid.

I don't see why they can't offer each of these guys about $1.2 million. That would only represent a total of less than 500K more than qualifying offers in terms of the cap. This is a good test for collusion on offer sheets. Why wouldn't another team sign one or both of these guys at $1.3 when no compensation would be owed. It would be malpractice not to!

I don't see why they can't offer each of these guys about $1.2 million. That would only represent a total of less than 500K more than qualifying offers in terms of the cap. This is a good test for collusion on offer sheets. Why wouldn't another team sign one or both of these guys at $1.3 when no compensation would be owed. It would be malpractice not to!
Lemiuex hasn't played 80 games so he's not eligible.

ADA is on his 3rd team and can't stay out of the coach's dog house.

Who would take a chance on pissing some GMs off, not to mention exposing your own players in similar positions, for a defenseman who can't defend?

He's worth more to us than many other teams, and we're the only shot he's got to play in the NHL, IMO.

Lemiuex hasn't played 80 games so he's not eligible.

ADA is on his 3rd team and can't stay out of the coach's dog house.

Who would take a chance on pissing some GMs off, not to mention exposing your own players in similar positions, for a defenseman who can't defend?

He's worth more to us than many other teams, and we're the only shot he's got to play in the NHL, IMO.

Neither has any real leverage, unless they want to go to Europe. And that's doubtful. Speculation, but ADA is red state American, and Lemiuex is son of a former player who is his agent. Going to a Euro league would be a career setback. The Belesky demotion means there's more money to pay them. Not as much as they'd like, but more. It's going to get worked out.