• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tony DeAngelo's Holdout

ThirtyONE

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tin foil hat time for me but in the Rangers most recent tweet, Brendan Smith is taking part in a video with Staal. they wouldn't put Smith on some fun twitter thing if they were going to immediately demote him would they? :confused:

I think Smith will stick around for a minute. Especially with ADA out, you can't just fill the lineup with rookies and we're already talking about having 4 in the lineup, without ADA it's 5.

DeAngelo needs to swallow hard and get this done. Players who miss training camp, or are fighting about contracts in camp, typically have subpar years, which he can't afford.

The Ranger will have a lot of guys on the last year of their contracts this year, and it will be very hard signing them under the cap if they have good years.

There has been nothing that I've seen from DeAngelo that makes me think he's ready to do this. All signs point to him being a pretty self-centered guy that just doesn't seem to understand the full scope of everything. I think we all know people that we say "I just don't get why he keeps stepping on his dick all the time." Well, that's how I think Tony D is. Super talented but just can't ever get out of his own way. And worse is that he doesn't see it. I'd like to think he'd sign now for a little more than Lemieux just signed for but I bet he's unwilling to budge from some pre-set number that he has in his mind. Missing even a day of camp is troublesome and now he's missing his 2nd.

There has been nothing that I've seen from DeAngelo that makes me think he's ready to do this. All signs point to him being a pretty self-centered guy that just doesn't seem to understand the full scope of everything. I think we all know people that we say "I just don't get why he keeps stepping on his dick all the time." Well, that's how I think Tony D is. Super talented but just can't ever get out of his own way. And worse is that he doesn't see it. I'd like to think he'd sign now for a little more than Lemieux just signed for but I bet he's unwilling to budge from some pre-set number that he has in his mind. Missing even a day of camp is troublesome and now he's missing his 2nd.

He is not going to play in Europe. So it's a matter of time. Simply his career doesn't justify him getting much more than is on the table right now.

He is not going to play in Europe. So it's a matter of time. Simply his career doesn't justify him getting much more than is on the table right now.

And frankly, I don't think the Rangers really care one way or another if/when he shows up. It's not like he's Jacob Trouba. He's replaceable.

$925k is really a lowball offer, I don't blame ADA for not wanting that.

I know that points don't tell the whole story but, he scored at the same rate as Jake Gardiner, who just got $4m. Colton Parayko and Hampus Lindholm had 2 fewer points in 19 and 15 more games and make over $5m. Christ, Shattenkirk was effectively behind ADA on the depth chart and got double (1.75). Ghost and Montour are comps in terms of scoring pace and defensive meh-ness, and make closer to $4m.

No, those first few guys aren't ADA's peers, and $4m is too high. But an ELC/vet min number is really, really low.

I'm also not really sure I understand why anyone would be saying we're OK without him or he's super expendable. Are we forgetting...the second half of the season? Starting in February, he played 29 games. Had 18 points (pace 51), was a +2 and averaged 20:02. In February alone, playing with Staal primarily, he had 11 in 13 games. On that roster, those numbers are...very strong.

I know that points don't tell the whole story but, he scored at the same rate as Jake Gardiner, who just got $4m. Colton Parayko and Hampus Lindholm had 2 fewer points in 19 and 15 more games and make over $5m. Christ, Shattenkirk was effectively behind ADA on the depth chart and got double (1.75). Ghost and Montour are comps in terms of scoring pace and defensive meh-ness, and make closer to $4m.

No, those first few guys aren't ADA's peers, and $4m is too high. But an ELC/vet min number is really, really low.

I'm also not really sure I understand why anyone would be saying we're OK without him or he's super expendable. Are we forgetting...the second half of the season? Starting in February, he played 29 games. Had 18 points (pace 51), was a +2 and averaged 20:02. In February alone, playing with Staal primarily, he had 11 in 13 games. On that roster, those numbers are...very strong.

all those mentioned are established NHL defensemen. ADA is borderline NHLer and completely unproven. he should take the deal and prove he belongs.

all those mentioned are established NHL defensemen. ADA is borderline NHLer and completely unproven. he should take the deal and prove he belongs.

This is only true if you haven't paid attention to the last two seasons.

He is a legitimate NHL defenseman. The question is whether or not he's a top-4, PP1QB, or third-pair in favorable matchups.

This is only true if you haven't paid attention to the last two seasons.

He is a legitimate NHL defenseman. The question is whether or not he's a top-4, PP1QB, or third-pair in favorable matchups.

he played 32 games in 2017-18 and 61 games last year. I would hardly call him legitimate NHLer. As of now he's a borderline NHLer with great potential to be legitimate.

DeAngelo should take what is being offered and prove himself across a full season. He is hurting himself big time by sitting out. I feel his pain because if the Rangers had a bit more flexibility they would give more money now, but that's life sometimes. He needs to show some faith in the organization that if he progresses in a positive way on and off the ice, that faith will be returned in the form of a nice contract.

None of the guys you mentioned have the character issues that are associated with Tony. If he didn't have those issues he probably would still be in Arizona or even Tampa playing for a decent salary. He needs to eat a little shit, prove he's worth it, and the money will come next year for him. Probably not by the Rangers but certainly by someone.

DeAngelo should take what is being offered and prove himself across a full season. He is hurting himself big time by sitting out. I feel his pain because if the Rangers had a bit more flexibility they would give more money now, but that's life sometimes. He needs to show some faith in the organization that if he progresses in a positive way on and off the ice, that faith will be returned in the form of a nice contract.

None of the guys you mentioned have the character issues that are associated with Tony. If he didn't have those issues he probably would still be in Arizona or even Tampa playing for a decent salary. He needs to eat a little shit, prove he's worth it, and the money will come next year for him. Probably not by the Rangers but certainly by someone.

Can't blame him for holding out. NHL careers can be woefully short - make bank while you can. Fine by me. This "prove yourself" thing is bullshit; he's just flat out not worth the risk of the bigger deal. We've had average defenders who put up points before. We've probably got a few right behind him. No sense committing to him for anything big.

His character issues aren't worth $3+ million dollars. He's kind of a punk, but it's not like he's out getting in any real trouble or anything.

But like I said, those guys aren't really his peers, so he shouldn't be getting $4m. But 925k is the same amount that guys make who haven't even played a game in North America. Put it this way...do Rykov and Lindgren deserve the same contract as ADA? Have they proven they're worth it any more than ADA? Like him or not, he's shown to be an NHL talent. That's more than a lot of guys who make the same money.

I think he'll come to his senses, sign the QA and be back. He's not doing himself, or the Rangers any favors holding out. Future makes a good point though; the kid can play. I'm not sure if he's going to be a top 4 D-man here eventually though. I do however think he can showcase his talent this season, and do himself a lot of good by playing at a high level this year to cash in next season.

His character issues aren't worth $3+ million dollars. He's kind of a punk, but it's not like he's out getting in any real trouble or anything.

But like I said, those guys aren't really his peers, so he shouldn't be getting $4m. But 925k is the same amount that guys make who haven't even played a game in North America. Put it this way...do Rykov and Lindgren deserve the same contract as ADA? Have they proven they're worth it any more than ADA? Like him or not, he's shown to be an NHL talent. That's more than a lot of guys who make the same money.

He is also a guy that can't stay in the lineup, and has been moved 2 times so far. I think there is a lot more behind the scenes stuff with him that is preventing him from getting any bump in pay.