• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tony DeAngelo's Holdout

ThirtyONE

Can't blame him for holding out. NHL careers can be woefully short - make bank while you can. Fine by me. This "prove yourself" thing is bullshit; he's just flat out not worth the risk of the bigger deal. We've had average defenders who put up points before. We've probably got a few right behind him. No sense committing to him for anything big.

If that is the argument then I guess sit out for the year. But that hurts his progression and ability to get a larger contract next summer. This is what zero leverage looks like.

And no, proving yourself is not bullshit. That's a requirement to get paid in any job.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys can all argue or pushback all you want according to the leagues rules he has no leverage here. Good riddance if he doesn't want to play for what they are offering him. Seriously we're not talking about a guy getting screwed by the system like Aaron Judge who by the way has never said a word about the tens of millions he's not currently getting paid. ADA simply doesn't get it and it fits the track record he's built over his short career. Next.

Then how can you say that Rykov and Lindgren deserve the same contract? Has ADA not proven more than them?

I have no problems giving him a touch more to make him paid more than a current ELC. I think they have enough space to throw him 1-200K extra. But the tweet said there is a "wide gulf" between the two, which I would take to mean it's a lot more than 200k. In fact, it makes me think 200k wouldn't even move the needle.

Lindgren might be a more sound defensive defenseman, and more fit for third pairing duties now that we have Fox. I'm not sure this is necessarily the bad thing you are making it out to be. And I enjoyed watching DeAngelo's offensive game.

OK, he's barely an AHLer at this point, but go off.

TDA deserves a little more than 925K. Maybe 1.2. He can't afford to hold out. He needs a solid NHL season this year. A couple of those and the 250K or so that he's being deprived of now will be chump change in the kind of contract that he will get, either through being arbitration eligible or UFA. Such it up Tony.

If you take a look at the RFAs on CapF, you have McAvoy, Carlo of BOS. And Honka of DAL. that ADA is right there with or better then. My point is that him holding out is not an unusual thing. If you put yourself in his shoes, the Rangers signed many middle sixers for 3, 4 Mil annd there is no way they were better at their positions then ADA was at his. Yeah, he's got no leverage, but he still has pride in his game. They can sign McKegg, DiGu whatever, Spooner for 4, Names for 4, Buch for 3 and now ADA is an afterthought. He's more talented than those guys and others on this team that are banking it. Yeah, it will probably be unwise to not sign and play but I don't blame him for a minute.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sign, play for a year and cash in huge next year. Or don't play and make $0 with no future. No brainers in my eyes. I'm a unionized employee and I get the comparative analysis of job description and salary but sometimes it doesnt matter when you have 0 leverage. That's the hard thing for some to understand. The ones whom hold the cards are the ones whom have the power. 1 for 1- Honka for ADA. Make it happen. (No idea what side Honka plays nor his cieling, just know they are both 1st round D men who cant solve their contract situation with their current teams.

If you take a look at the RFAs on CapF, you have McAvoy, Carlo of BOS. And Honka of DAL. that ADA is right there with or better then. My point is that him holding out is not an unusual thing. If you put yourself in his shoes, the Rangers signed many middle sixers for 3, 4 Mil annd there is no way they were better at their positions then ADA was at his. Yeah, he's got no leverage, but he still has pride in his game. They can sign McKegg, DiGu whatever, Spooner for 4, Names for 4, Buch for 3 and now ADA is an afterthought. He's more talented than those guys and others on this team that are banking it. Yeah, it will probably be unwise to not sign and play but I don't blame him for a minute.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

How can you not blame him? Look at Cap Friendly... There is no money. Rangers hold his rights.

It's math at this point. If you're ADA what's you're line? "I'll sign when you trade Strome or Namestnikov for no return so I can have their cap space?"

He has no leverage. Rangers have no cap space. You can't get water from a stone when and you have no hands to wring it.

So I guess he can have pride in his game and play in the KHL.

Or do the smart thing and play, and prove everyone wrong.

How can you not blame him? Look at Cap Friendly... There is no money. Rangers hold his rights.

It's math at this point. If you're ADA what's you're line? "I'll sign when you trade Strome or Namestnikov for no return so I can have their cap space?"

He has no leverage. Rangers have no cap space. You can't get water from a stone when and you have no hands to wring it.

So I guess he can have pride in his game and play in the KHL.

Or do the smart thing and play, and prove everyone wrong.

I'd be pissed too if I were him. Just finally toed the line with Quinn after a few healthy scratches - thought they had an understanding- and had a borderline breakout season, only to have the team pay two draft picks for a kid who has never played an NHL minute that everyone says immediately lands above him on the depth chart. Then they want to pay him like some chump teenager fresh out of the Swedish juniors. Fuck those guys.

But he's just confirming what they already thought about him: not a team guy, not mature enough to know what is actually in his best interests, more trouble than he's worth.

A few hundred thou now is not going to be worth the damage it's doing him. I understand and kind of sympathize with a 23 year old kid not able to play his cards for shit, but I thought that's what agents are there for.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk