• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CBJ Re-Sign Zach Werenski to 3-Year/$15M Extension; $5M AAV

Phil

Everybody getting deals, our activity looks dumber every day. Trouba contract was already pretty iffy, looks absurd, now, in light of this and Gardiner. Both on same level as Trouba.

Only Gardiner is comparable to Trouba given proximity to UFA.

OK, and he went for half the AAV, and cost nothing as far as assets go, to sign.

We traded controllable assets for a guy with one year of control, and then paid him absolutely top dollar.

Should have waited the market out. There's nothing but deals to be had.

OK, and he went for half the AAV, and cost nothing as far as assets go, to sign.

We traded controllable assets for a guy with one year of control, and then paid him absolutely top dollar.

Should have waited the market out. There's nothing but deals to be had.

That's some sharp 20/20 hindsight vision you've got there.

Trouba is better than Gardiner, for one, and two, there was no assumption that Gardiner would be on the market this long, or that he would sign for as little as he did back when the Rangers made this decision. He's also four years older than Trouba, which makes for a much tighter window to win with far less flexibility.

I get that they paid top dollar for him, but that dollar is going to look like a steal when guys sign new deals next summer and beyond. Inflation pushes prices up every single summer, without fail, which in turn makes deals signed prior to those always look like a bargain by comparison.

Justin Faulk out there, too...

Yeah, after they signed Gardiner. In September.

Or, he'll continue to be Jacob Trouba. I'd say he's more likely to be Jacob Trouba, as he's actually Jacob Trouba.

That's worth about 6 million in my books.

Giving up about 9 years of control for one, then overpaying that guy for five years based on some belief of what you think he is (an 8 million dollar D man) isn't smart. At best, it's an attempt to kick start the transition out of rebuild to winning. That's the only good thing you can say about it.

Frequently? Occasionally, more like.

Also, the ones who do become available require assets to acquire. Anaheim is reported to be giving up Kase in the case of Faulk.

I don't see how this changes Dunny or my point on how Trouba was handled.

You can quibble over occasionally or frequently all you want but 4 big name defenseman changed addresses this summer, alone... Trouba, Gardiner, Barrie and now Faulk.

If rangers traded some solid prospects and signed Faulk people would definitely be mad at that too. Quality players becomes available yes, and we got for 2 of them.

People will always complain, but Rangers have had the best off-season in decades and the best in the league this year. Getting a player like Trouba for PIONK and a pick is a steal and the contract is definitely not overpaid by 2m. Maybe a little too much, but he?s locked down for his entire prime years and in 2-3 years the contract will look very good because of the inflation.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The guy Phil mentioned is the forward version of Neil Pionk.

Kase? Lol no. Atleast not according to their own fans. Just read around, everyone says they?ll be mad if Kase is involved. Everyone here got a boner when they read Pionk was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk