• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Mika Zibanejad the Team's Next Captain?

Phil

Link:

Link:

It's purely anecdotal, but it sure feels like it to me. Ever since last season, but especially leading up to the start of this one, there's been a pretty significant PR push with him on social media with posts like the above, as well as ones of him interracting with younger players like Andersson.

I know Staal was basically the defacto captain all of last year, but given the unlikelihood he's around long-term, it really feels like Zibanejad is being groomed for the role, no?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. He's simply the best player. That's what PR does.

Link:

Link:

It's purely anecdotal, but it sure feels like it to me. Ever since last season, but especially leading up to the start of this one, there's been a pretty significant PR push with him on social media with posts like the above, as well as ones of him interracting with younger players like Andersson.

I know Staal was basically the defacto captain all of last year, but given the unlikelihood he's around long-term, it really feels like Zibanejad is being groomed for the role, no?

Would make sense, but I think a lot of the Marketing stuff is just that...he's their best player not named Artemi. What's more telling about him as a captain was when he yelled at Chytil.

I'd also just argue that he's quite marketable. He's generally affable, he's kind of eclectic (DJ Mika), media seems to seek him out, he's actually good at that hockey thing, etc.

come to think about this, no one really stands out to be captain material yet. Staal seems quiet, to himself type of guy. Kreider may not be around too long. Its either Mikka or bunch of A's again. I personally would prefer A's this season and see who really stands out as a leader. No rush.

I'm down with Mika taking the reins. He is accountable to his own play always and expects everyone to pull their weight. Zib has a good way with the media too. He doesn't hide disappointment nor does he get too high from wins. Level, communicative and not a prima donna. The "A" contingent are like sails on a boat to me. They capture energy and push to group forward. Every ship needs a rudder.

I think they should go back to having a bunch of 'A's like they did for a bit there, and see what happens. I still think naming McDonagh captain was a mistake at the time. So, let things play out this season, and go from there on making a decision. I could still see MZ get the captaincy officially anyway. He's basically a pseudo captain as it stands.

He's fluent in four languages, too (English, Persian, Finnish and Swedish). Major plus for a culturally diverse room growing in representation.

An extremely useful - some might even say critical - language to master when trying to lead an NHL locker room imho ;)

Eventually I'd think Kakko is going to be the man here. I have no problems with Z man being the Captain now because he does exhibit that type of leadership described above, but I would think that when Kakko comes of age, he should take the torch and run with it.....for a LONG time.

Zib needs to stop the soft spoken bit and project a little. He could be a great Captain if he could speak with a little more authority. Maybe alot more.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

We have no idea what happens in the room.

And he tore Chytil a new asshole in front of 18000 people.

I don't think this is a fair comment at all on his leadership skills. Not all leaders are yellers.

They needed a guy with bite under AV. Quinn’s a teller, ty might not need the same, now. I think it’s still early in Quinn’s tenure to know what’s needed, from my perspective. I could see a stabilizer like Staal, or I guess Zibanejad because of The twitter pics. Under Quinn, I’d anticipate more of a workhorse wearing it, a Doan/Drury like player (which I anticipate being the biggest need for the team moving forward. See sig)

We have no idea what happens in the room.

And he tore Chytil a new asshole in front of 18000 people.

I don't think this is a fair comment at all on his leadership skills. Not all leaders are yellers.

Speaking with conviction does not translate to yelling. I'm just going off his pressers. He's very soft spoken and that is fair to say.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk