• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Limited Options for Tony DeAngelo, Brendan Lemieux in Rangers Contract Standoffs

Phil

DeAngelo?s agent, Pat Brisson, and Lemieux?s representative, Claude Lemieux, politely declined to provide updates on talks between their respective clients and the Rangers. The same holds true for New York management.

At this point, though, it does not appear that the Rangers are inclined to move off their initial bids. That means that DeAngelo and Lemieux, each of whom play with a necessary jagged edge not necessarily prevalent throughout the roster, have only two means of leverage.

One is to withhold service and not play, which wouldn?t seem to represent much of an option at all for two guys who have yet to make their mark in the NHL but are in line to get that opportunity this season. They could play in Europe but would face the exact same scenario upon returning. And though their absences would hurt the Rangers, it is far-fetched to expect management to cave as a consequence.

The players? other alternative is to attempt to attract an offer sheet ? or at least a credible threat of one ? that would force general manager Jeff Gorton?s hand. Neither DeAngelo nor Lemieux is in especially prime position to cash in, but the compensation return for players at their respective pay grades is light, so that works in the players? favor. The Rangers would receive no compensation as return on an unmatched offer sheet of $1,395,053 or below and only a third-rounder for an unmatched offer sheet of between $1,395,053.01 and $2,113,716.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/21/limited-options-for-tony-deangelo-brendan-lemieux-in-rangers-contract-standoffs/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don?t mind Lemieux, he?s a fun little player. But he has zero leverage here.

I?m an AdA fanboy, but he only has a sliver of leverage. He?s a decent bet for an offer sheet, but signing one at that salary threshold is unlikely to be a good decision for him long term.

I very much doubt anything is going to force Gortons hand with these two. But I also think there?s a good chance we see a salary dump trade with Names and both will be taken care of.

They're not hard lining, there's literally no money to pay them.

And they have literally no leverage other than to not play, so you do you Brendan and Tony. Your QO is waiting for you when you get tired of sitting around watching.

Trade Fast. There might be a market for him. He's the only sensible trade asset.

I think a team would take Namestnikov, but only for pennies on the dollar. I have a feeling Gorton doesn't want to do that and probably sees him as a potential part of the roster.

Nobody is taking Staal or Smith. Do you trade Strome for a likely low return or do you see how he pans out?

Unless they got blown away, I really hope they don't deal Kreider just yet...

Do you walk away from DeAngelo, by trading him or letting him sign an offer sheet?? Does Fox make him expendable?

I really think you have to deal Fast and get what he's worth instead of selling low on other pieces. I take Strome over Fast any day. I pick Lemieux over Fast.

Gotta make room and you have to get valve back.

I think ADA has more to lose than Brendan does. There is a lot of competition on defense this year for a spot. If he doesn't report to camp, and one of the prospects plays well enough to earn a spot, he could be on the short end of the stick. The Rangers don't need to sign him or Brendan, they have enough to fill their spots as is. Rangers hold all of the leverage here.

Trade Fast. There might be a market for him. He's the only sensible trade asset.

I think a team would take Namestnikov, but only for pennies on the dollar. I have a feeling Gorton doesn't want to do that and probably sees him as a potential part of the roster.

Nobody is taking Staal or Smith. Do you trade Strome for a likely low return or do you see how he pans out?

Unless they got blown away, I really hope they don't deal Kreider just yet...

Do you walk away from DeAngelo, by trading him or letting him sign an offer sheet?? Does Fox make him expendable?

I really think you have to deal Fast and get what he's worth instead of selling low on other pieces. I take Strome over Fast any day. I pick Lemieux over Fast.

Gotta make room and you have to get valve back.

If they could move him for pennies, I would be fine with that. They don't need him, he hasn't really done anything while he was here. I don't think he is a part of the future of this team, his play hasn't indicated it either.

If they could move him @ 50% retention for a 7th,it would already be done. I'm not sure if anybody is paying attention here, nobody is moving around the league. Nobody has room to add anything.

That's not an indictment of his play, either.

I'm not convinced that Lemieux is anything more than a 4th line, platoon, change-of-look type guy, but Deangelo is good.

This team could use a Brandon Prust, with slightly better hockey abilities. And I'm fine with him being just that.

They both just need to eat shit on this. Sign your offer, get to camp, and earn a bigger contract.

I agree. I don't think there's a big enough sample size for them to get more than their qualifying offer.

That said, I could see a scenario in which DeAngelo sits out.

I agree. I don't think there's a big enough sample size for them to get more than their qualifying offer.

That said, I could see a scenario in which DeAngelo sits out.

I don't. If he does, he's out of the league. We qualified him and hold his rights, he has no leverage....Right?

He can go play in Europe with Marner.

Deangelo had a good half season last year. I'm not sold on him long term. Not sure why he'd get more than a QO or a small 100k bump more than that or something.

The Rangers should make him prove himself. Even more than that, what if Fox is an instant 2nd pair defenseman and better than DeAngelo? And with Lundkvist on the way too? If he doesn't like it, then he can sit out.