• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Limited Options for Tony DeAngelo, Brendan Lemieux in Rangers Contract Standoffs

Phil

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he signs so he can put up 60 points and I don't have to hear about a guy playing sheltered Swedish second division minutes as a viable option in the next three years.

Well he was a first round pick, I think you'd be pretty disappointed if he wasn't over here in 3 years.

The fascination with DeAngelo by the Rangers fanbase is mind boggling. I don't question that he has talent, or potential, but he hasn't done fuckall to earn anything more than the Rangers want to give him.

Well, he did put up 52 points in his first 132 NHL games, including 30 in 61 last season.

In his first 130 NHL games, Jacob Trouba had 51 points (at age 19-21, admittedly). I know points are what they are, but it's gotta count for something.

Well, he did put up 52 points in his first 132 NHL games, including 30 in 61 last season.

In his first 130 NHL games, Jacob Trouba had 51 points (at age 19-21, admittedly). I know points are what they are, but it's gotta count for something.

He is also a zone exit machine. His stats are in the elite category.

I think he's undoubtedly a very talented offensive d-man, with some obvious flaws both on and off the ice. I wouldn't be so quick to discard him based on the farm system either, as I'm not seeing anyone there with the same offensive upside as him. K'Andre Miller is obviously a better prospect, but he doesn't really do the same job. Neither does Nils Lundkvist.

I guess there's a fair chance ADA is expendable if Fox pans out the way I think he will, but I personally think it's far too early to give up on him. And he's clearly needed this season, at a minimum.

That being said, I don't think he has leverage and I think he'd be stupid to hold out. The best he can hope for is being offer sheeted in the second compensation bracket, and I think he'll do a lot better than that next season if he gets his head down and delivers another season like the last one.

If Fox is who Fox projects to be, DeAngelo isn't long for the team at all, and shouldn't be.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's the sticking point, isn't it? Reasonably, ADA doesn't project to be a top 4 defender on the Rangers, but he projects to be a top 4 defender. In a different world, he's well-timed, and he's letting our third pair flex up minutes and balancing our ice time out.

A smart GM would marginally overpay him for term here, and flip him for need when ready.

That's the sticking point, isn't it? Reasonably, ADA doesn't project to be a top 4 defender on the Rangers, but he projects to be a top 4 defender. In a different world, he's well-timed, and he's letting our third pair flex up minutes and balancing our ice time out.

A smart GM would marginally overpay him for term here, and flip him for need when ready.

Not sure about that because he’s also had issues off the ice. He’s been on 3 teams now, really the rangers are doing him a favor at this point. A a smart GM wouldn’t give in at all. He gets what he gets for one year. You see what you have in Fox and you kick the can down the road until next summer or even the trade deadline.

If he were smart, he’d sign. His replacement is already here.

• Like 1

Not sure about that because he’s also had issues off the ice. He’s been on 3 teams now, really the rangers are doing him a favor at this point. A a smart GM wouldn’t give in at all. He gets what he gets for one year. You see what you have in Fox and you kick the can down the road until next summer or even the trade deadline.

Yea, I agree here. I'm not sure why a smart GM would overpay what's amounting to a spare part. Talent doesn't mean shit if you can't stay on the ice because you can't get your shit together.

Rangers are his last shot at the NHL. He should be willing to play for nothing, or play in the Swiss D League. He literally has no options, at all. The only way he would have a leg to stand on is if the PP struggles, and with Quinn going with 4 forwards and Trouba and Fox likely getting the time...SKjei would get PP mins before they panicked to sign ADA.

Fun Fact: Tampa traded ADA to Arizona at the 2016 draft for a second round pick. Tampa used that pick to select Libor Hajek. Hajek and ADA could very well be the Rangers' 3rd pair this year.