• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

You Get to Ban One Word from the Lexicon of Sports

Phil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

words become words through usage, Impactful has already made it into the Oxford dictionary. Ginormous is a recent word. But some fake words are just people not understanding how to speak English, like "Irregardless"
And yet irregardless is acceptable vernacular, when you're not with grammar Nazis.

Lots of debate around it. Same as Oxford comma.

And yet irregardless is acceptable vernacular, when you're not with grammar Nazis.

Acceptable vernacular??? lol no, not acceptable in any shape or form - has nothing to do with nazi anything. I hope you don't use that word because people are laughing at you when you do. It's not accepted at all it's just completely incorrect.

The word is either "regardless" or "irrespective". "irregardless" is just plain failing to properly speak English.

Acceptable vernacular??? lol no, not acceptable in any shape or form - has nothing to do with nazi anything. I hope you don't use that word because people are laughing at you when you do. It's not accepted at all it's just completely incorrect.

The word is either "regardless" or "irrespective". "irregardless" is just plain failing to properly speak English.

Nah. Only grammar Nazis laugh. No one else really gives a flying fuck.

Lots of debate around it. Same as Oxford comma.

It's a double negative, so that doesn't make sense. It cancels its original meaning if you're paying attention.

I like to use "disirregardless" in meetings and watch people wrinkle their brow as they try to work the equation out.

It's a double negative, so that doesn't make sense. It cancels its original meaning if you're paying attention.

I like to use "disirregardless" in meetings and watch people wrinkle their brow as they try to work the equation out.

I mean, I don't disagree. But people still use it the same way they use "ginormous". So if we're going to say that words become words through usage, there you have it.

Well, kind of like "ain't"...but Mirriam Webster calls both of them acceptable words, soooooooo....

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain't

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

lol, from the link you provided...

Is irregardless a word?: Usage Guide

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

that's ok, you keep on saying irregardless in your day to day life, nobody will every say anything behind your back, especially in the professional world - nothing at all

:thumbs:

Good non answer lol.

Hasn't hurt me so far. Irregardless, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I'll be just fine.

You, on the other hand, I'm sure have made many friends by correcting grammar. People love that. Carry on!