Thread: Seravelli: Kevin Hayes Told Another Player He'd Only Go to Philly if They Overpaid

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

Seravelli: Kevin Hayes Told Another Player He'd Only Go to Philly if They Overpaid

When TSN’s Senior Hockey Reporter and former Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli joined Anthony San Filippo and I on Tuesday night’s Snow The Goalie, we expected he’d provide some of the hard-hitting insight that made him a favorite in the local market and a target of Canada’s top sports network. We didn’t expect the bombshell he dropped on us regarding the Flyers’ top offseason signing, center Kevin Hayes.

Per Seravalli, Hayes had no intention of signing with the Flyers, who had traded for his rights, unless they opted to overpay him:

“I don’t understand why (the Flyers) felt the need to spend a pick in order to go out and (trade for Kevin Hayes’ rights). I don’t think there was a team that would’ve come close to the Flyers’ number, because if there were, Kevin Hayes would’ve just waited until July 1, and I have that on good authority. I was with a current NHL player the night before Game 7 in Boston who – five minutes before seeing me – ran into Kevin Hayes outside of somewhere in downtown Boston, which is obviously his hometown. He goes, ‘Oh yeah. I just ran into Kevin Hayes.’ He said Kevin Hayes told him the only way he’s going to the Flyers is if the Flyers overpaid to get him. And how much did they overpay by? It’s hard to answer that specifically, but I would say at least $600k-700k a year times seven years.”
    https://www.crossingbroad.com/2019/0...-overpaid.html
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    He wanted to come back to NY in the worst way.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Well at least he was true to his word.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Junior Division
    not sure who I believe but Ryan Whitney tweeted that this was BS and that Hayes was stoked to play in Philly

Senior Member Midget Division
    Hearsay. It's inadmissible.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    not sure who I believe but Ryan Whitney tweeted that this was BS and that Hayes was stoked to play in Philly
    I don't believe he said it, Seravelli is an asshole...but I also wouldn't trust Whitney LOL.

Senior Member Junior Division
    lol fair enough.

I don't see why a player wouldn't be excited to play for the coach that first gave him a shot and gave him the minutes that eventually led to him getting this big of a contract

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I’m not a huge Kevin Hayes fan, but what a total cunt Seravalli is.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't believe he said it, Seravelli is an asshole...but I also wouldn't trust Whitney LOL.
    Yeah. Whitney and Hayes are friends. He's not going to throw him under the bus.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    IF this is true, Seravalli has absolutely buried that unnamed player though.
    Unless Hayesy met several players and told all of them he shafted the Flyers, which seems unlikely.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I see nothing controversial here. Hayes was only prepared to sign with Philly before the UFA period if he was overpaid. That doesn't mean he was adverse to going to Philly. If Philly did not offer to overpay him before July 1, he would have waited until after that date to sign with the highest bidder, which might still have been Philly. Perhaps he would have given the Rangers a small discount, but given the priority of Trouba and Panarin, that simply could not have happened.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    I see nothing controversial here. Hayes was only prepared to sign with Philly before the UFA period if he was overpaid. That doesn't mean he was adverse to going to Philly. If Philly did not offer to overpay him before July 1, he would have waited until after that date to sign with the highest bidder, which might still have been Philly. Perhaps he would have given the Rangers a small discount, but given the priority of Trouba and Panarin, that simply could not have happened.
    Same. And the article said it was a difference of like $600k. Teams overpay by that much to get players all the time. If not for the context the convo would be

"Philly overpaid a bit, but they got their guy" and nobody would bat an eye.