Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Free Agents Available by Position

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Might as well invest in a Lias jersey. Fits your mold.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    2015 Game 5 and game 7 against washington, both OT goals. watch and love the play of Jesper Fast

also, fits in with my Blair Betts jersey

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Might as well invest in a Lias jersey. Fits your mold.
    lol I got the Betts jersey in 2007 and it took me i think another 10 years to get another jersey so i got time

Senior Member Squirt Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    We don't have the space to be thinking about any UFA, however cheap. Let the kids play on defense. Forget about #7 has beens who aren't much better than Brendan Smith, who can always be summoned from Hartford with only minor cap consequences. If we bring him up, he will promise not to take four minor penalties in seven minutes again.
    There's more chance of Smith being the 7th defenseman than a kid. Still think Gorton & JD have a move or two left up their sleeves that could change who's on the opening night roster.

Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    There's more chance of Smith being the 7th defenseman than a kid. Still think Gorton & JD have a move or two left up their sleeves that could change who's on the opening night roster.
    If we bury Smith, we can still make 7 D out of what we have

Trouba
    Skjei
    Fox
    Staal
    DeAngelo
    Hajek
    Lindgren
    Rykov

I could see us carring Smith as a 7th still if we want those bottom 2-3 to get some time in the minors, but the cap savings from burying his contract might be necessary so I don't know if we could keep him

Senior Member Squirt Division
    If sending Smith to the minors only saves about 1M and Lindgren or Rykov costs about 900,000 it makes more sense to me to keep Smith as 7th D and let them get more experience in the minors than to save only 100,000.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    My Fast jersey would become useless then.

I don't see why we'd get rid of him though. He works as a 4th liner, works very hard, can kill penalties, and has a history of stepping up in the playoffs. I don't see why we'd want to get rid of him
    This. I don't get the hate for him. He is a great two way player. Defensively, he is the teams best defensive forward. The guy can be used in many situations, and he pots a couple of goals. I have no problem with him, and hope they re-sign him next year. He doesn't cost that much either. I don't get what more people want from him.

If we bury Smith, we can still make 7 D out of what we have

Trouba
    Skjei
    Fox
    Staal
    DeAngelo
    Hajek
    Lindgren
    Rykov

I could see us carring Smith as a 7th still if we want those bottom 2-3 to get some time in the minors, but the cap savings from burying his contract might be necessary so I don't know if we could keep him
    Unless ADA is the 7th defenseman, I wouldn't want any of the kids up as a 7th d-man, rather see them get the playing time in Hartford.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Brassard or Boyle on a 1 yr deal if Strome and/or Namestnikov are dealt—may have to deal one or both depending on how much Lemieux ends up getting—rumor is his dad( who’s his agent) is looking for a mult-year deal.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Unless ADA is the 7th defenseman, I wouldn't want any of the kids up as a 7th d-man, rather see them get the playing time in Hartford.
    how about Staal as a 7th D?

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    We don't have the space to be thinking about any UFA, however cheap. Let the kids play on defense.
    That is not accurate.

If any these players are signed at the veteran minimum which is $700K per year, there is no difference between playing/giving a roster spot to/calling up a Vinnie Lettieri or Ryan Lingdren(it's actually cheaper against the cap in his case) and almost anyone listed. Having said that I agree with you in that we should let the youth develop, and grow together at the NHL level provided they are far along enough in their development to warrant it.

Injuries are going to happen as the season goes along, and having a Justin Williams or Drew Stafford filling out the bottom six at the league minimum is not the worst idea in the world.

This. I don't get the hate for him. He is a great two way player. Defensively, he is the teams best defensive forward. The guy can be used in many situations, and he pots a couple of goals. I have no problem with him, and hope they re-sign him next year. He doesn't cost that much either. I don't get what more people want from him.
    his teammates gave him the 'Players Player' award and he's worn the A for us. I don't think there's a reason to get rid of him.

Sure, players like him can be replaceable, but why lose him when you have something that works. It's not like he's gonna be commanding some big ticket in free agency that would force us to have to get rid of him.

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    his teammates gave him the 'Players Player' award and he's worn the A for us. I don't think there's a reason to get rid of him.

Sure, players like him can be replaceable, but why lose him when you have something that works. It's not like he's gonna be commanding some big ticket in free agency that would force us to have to get rid of him.
    I don't think anyone is saying "get rid of him" some of the rhetoric aside.

What I think people are saying is that when his contract expires next season, there is always some team in Free Agency that over values bottom 6 players like this. Think Brandon Prust's $10 million/4 year contract that he signed with Montreal before the 2012-13 season, because they were looking for "more toughness". If someone offers Fast a contract like that, you have to move on. You could certainly make the "player's player" and "heart & soul" argument to give him that extra million and/or 1-2 years, but the reality is that it is poor cap management when you can replace his production and defensive value from within or externally for $700-900K.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying "get rid of him" some of the rhetoric aside.

What I think people are saying is that when his contract expires next season, there is always some team in Free Agency that over values bottom 6 players like this. Think Brandon Prust's $10 million/4 year contract that he signed with Montreal before the 2012-13 season, because they were looking for "more toughness". If someone offers Fast a contract like that, you have to move on. You could certainly make the "player's player" and "heart & soul" argument to give him that extra million and/or 1-2 years, but the reality is that it is poor cap management when you can replace his production and defensive value from within or externally for $700-900K.
    well in this thread he's been called a fringe NHL player and there were hopes that he goes elsewhere. the first of which is certainly not true and the 2nd one a pretty baseless opinion in my view. You're certainly explaining in more detail why he could be let go.

he'll be 28 when he hits UFA, so not exactly passed the prime. Will we be devastated if he's moved now, at the deadline or moves on in UFA? No. But I think he's a good piece in place to have and if it's already working, why not keep him? If we can re-sign him for 2 years at close to the same salary he's getting (and according to capgeek, we have a projected $16,627,701 in caproom if the cap remains the same for 2020-21) I don't see a reason to let him go.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    My Fast jersey would become useless then.

I don't see why we'd get rid of him though. He works as a 4th liner, works very hard, can kill penalties, and has a history of stepping up in the playoffs. I don't see why we'd want to get rid of him
    And he's not getting big bucks elsewhere, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    And he's not getting big bucks elsewhere, so...
    If someone wants to offer him 4x4 than yeah let him go. But I can't see him getting a big raise. 2 years at somewhere around $2.25 is fair and doesn't break the bank/hurt our cap situation

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I could see Philly having an interest in him, AV loved Fast.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

how about Staal as a 7th D?
    Staal was pretty solid last year on defense. He can still play and can play big minutes. His play hasn't warranted him becoming a 7th defensemen.

Staal was pretty solid last year on defense. He can still play and can play big minutes. His play hasn't warranted him becoming a 7th defensemen.
    all true, but in terms of the long term health of this orgnization, I wonder if it just makes more sense to give the bulk of the playing time to younger players, if they are going to be up here

HNIC BSBH Legend
    all true, but in terms of the long term health of this orgnization, I wonder if it just makes more sense to give the bulk of the playing time to younger players, if they are going to be up here
    Guys like Lindgren and Rykov need to be swapped in for each other.

No reason for Staal to be a 7th. He'll get some nights off.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Some of the experts on this board may not appreciate Fast, but the rest of the league no doubt does. He will get a nice contract if we don't resign him. He actually does quite nicely offensively when placed on a scoring line from time to time. I'd sign him even if it takes sacrifices elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast