Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreider Gets Qualified Vote of Confidence

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division

Kreider Gets Qualified Vote of Confidence

Doesn't really sound like a vote of confidence at all. It sounds like they are probably not satisfied with current offers and want him to play, have a good season, and then probably trade him before the deadline. I think it will take an unexpected development cap-wise for them to sign him. What I find interesting is that the initial comments come from JD on an issue that would usually be handled by the GM. I wonder if, in the long term, there could be friction with JD swooping in to manage things sometimes and the leaving it all to Gorton at other times. In this instance, at least, Gorton's comment echo those of JD.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/09/ranger...of-confidence/
    Last edited by Sod16; 08-09-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    It's not, and that's basically what Brooks is saying by "qualified".
    I also don't think the decision not to resign Kreider should be classified as a cap decision. It's a decision based on the players age, the risk with giving him 7 years and his fit with the organization going forward.
    I'm sure Brooksie and others will continue trotting out the narrative of Kreider being a victim of the cap crunch, however.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The only reason I see for this approach is, as we've said, this is a "see what you've got" year. Half the team is new.

If you're really good and think you can do damage next year, then you try and get him under the cap (very hard with the cap situation)... If you still think you're 2-3 years away from making noise AFTER this season... Gotta trade him for whatever you can get.

If they were well under the cap, they would probably sign him. In the long term, it's always cap. They have to look down the road to when Kakko and one or two of the others on entry level contracts are due giant raises.

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    If they were well under the cap, they would probably sign him. In the long term, it's always cap. They have to look down the road to when Kakko and one or two of the others on entry level contracts are due giant raises.
    They can't sign him until January 1st anyway. Right?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Hardly a vote of confidence. That’s the yearbook answer from JD. A clear example of a team executive saying exactly what he’s supposed to say about his player. There’s absolutely nothing to be distilled from those comments.

If they are near a playoff spot they would be putting themselves in a spot where they can't trade Kreider without significant backlash. That would be a disastrous scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    I don’t think they would. This is about not giving a 29 year old 7 years. It’s not about cap.
    I’m absolutely certain he would be signed if he was willing to take 4 years.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 08-09-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I never understood the rush to trade/sign him. He has a year left. Sorry it's uncomfortable for him but that's how contracts work.

He has three options:
    1) play well enough that the Rangers absolutely have to keep you.
    2) play well enough that another team absolutely has to have you.
    3) sulk like Zuccarello did and end up with limited options.
    GORTON 2020

They just don't want to make anybody cry again.
    Agree with the above 3 ^.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    They just don't want to make anybody cry again.
    Agree with the above 3 ^.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Seems like the only people saying this are fans and writers. It's pro sports. He should be expected to be a pro.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I never understood the rush to trade/sign him. He has a year left. Sorry it's uncomfortable for him but that's how contracts work.

He has three options:
    The problem isn't from Kreider's point of view. It's the Rangers potentially putting themselves in a bad position to make a mistake later by not resolving it now.

Agree. I don't want to set a precedent where all contracts have to be settled a year in advance and extensions are based on performance from two seasons ago.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect

He has three options:
    The rush is asset management over all else. 82 games of Kreider is worth more than 22. It'd be way easier if they were the Senators or the Wild, and if they're even sniffing the playoff bubble, it'd be a miracle. You know you're being dealt in February, you know you've got millions on the line, you're going to play your ass off, get moved to a contender, show your stuff on the biggest stages, and hopefully add a Cup ring to the resume.

The problem is that the Rangers don't have a clue what they have right now. They're a hodgepodge mix of limitless potential and marquee signings. They're in a transitional state - might be the year we contend, might be another year in the lottery.

If it were a question of the Rangers being two years into the window, relatively clean cap situation, etc - yeah, he probably gets signed and it's not an issue. We just get some pleasantry from the Twitter account in late August.

We're best served by holding the card until we answer the questions around what the team is.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

HNIC BSBH Legend
    82 games isn't worth more to a cap playoff team who might want him at deadline.
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    The rush is asset management over all else. 82 games of Kreider is worth more than 22. It'd be way easier if they were the Senators or the Wild, and if they're even sniffing the playoff bubble, it'd be a miracle. You know you're being dealt in February, you know you've got millions on the line, you're going to play your ass off, get moved to a contender, show your stuff on the biggest stages, and hopefully add a Cup ring to the resume.

The problem is that the Rangers don't have a clue what they have right now. They're a hodgepodge mix of limitless potential and marquee signings. They're in a transitional state - might be the year we contend, might be another year in the lottery.

If it were a question of the Rangers being two years into the window, relatively clean cap situation, etc - yeah, he probably gets signed and it's not an issue. We just get some pleasantry from the Twitter account in late August.

We're best served by holding the card until we answer the questions around what the team is.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    82 games isn't worth more to a cap playoff team who might want him at deadline.
    Fair - that's the other variable. Cap space becomes less and less an asset as the season goes on, thus opening up more opportunities.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Did somebody say cry baby? Buch says hold my beer. One is enough.

It seems that 82 games would be worth more than 22, but that's not the way teams look at it these days.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    It’s worth waiting if you’re a team that is confident you’re a playoff team without him for those first 55-60 games and you don’t have the space now and you’re pretty confident of your chances of being in the running to get him come deadline time.
    Last edited by RangersIn7; 08-10-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    if he doesn't act like a pro he will only hurt himself.

i expect a strong year from him. if we are contending management needs to weigh keeping him for the run at the risk of him walking without compensation at year's end. if columbus and the islanders did this with panarin and tavares, i can easily see it happening with chris.

Plus JD sacked up to make the run last year and how many did columbus lose to FA? i don't think losing chris scares him at all. will be a pure hockey decision at the end of the day.
    Acqua in bocca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast