• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in D Ben Hutton

Phil

Of course they have. Analytics help. We all know this. That's not the issue. The issue is that not many people here can honestly say they knew who this guy was without Googling him, and if they did, they certainly have only seen him play in snippets. Yet the commentary is "Why? He's terrible, look at the analytics". That's just as short sighted and closed minded as ignoring the fancy stuff.

But I don't want keep going and derail the thread with another analytics debated. It's just annoying that people claim they don't only look at but it's pretty evident that they do. I'll leave it at that.

Here's what I know about Ben Hutton:

He was a 3rd pairing defender on the Canucks.

He had a reasonably good season for a third pairing defender last year, and it's a hair surprising the Canucks walked from him.

He has an extremely punchable face.

His offensive fancystats suck, but he still put up 20 points.

He's got pretty solid defensive numbers.

He's not a star by any stretch, but there are probably worse players to take a flyer on at the asking price. A decidedly average defender. Nothing wrong with that, probably not worth signing over letting any of Hajek, Rykov, Fox, etc get that time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Hutton's cap hit last year was 2.8M

Not sure why the Rangers are interested when they are so close to the cap max.

we're getting pretty late in the summer to the point where guys who don't have contracts aren't going to be guaranteed raises over their previous salary.

A 1 year deal at under $1mil is entirely reasonable to get a guy like him at this point in the offseason

I'm wondering how we have the cap space to sign anyone though, with two RFAs still remaining

Capfriendly has us with $1 mil left in cap space. That doesn't account for buring half of Beleksy's cap hit (another 950k freed up) and it has McKegg on our roster (so that's another 750k) but their number also doesn't factor in Kravstov (subtract 925k in cap) and that leaves us with $1.775 mil left and thats assuming Rykov, Lindgren and Shesterkin all start the year in hartford

unless we're still ridding ourselves of another contract like Namestnikov, I don't see how we are in a position to sign anyone, even if they are on the cheap

And yet here we are on a message board where I don't think anyone even knows what this guy looks like and they're judging him based on shit like shot share.

I don't even know who this guy is so I don't really care, but the commentary is infuriating. no one on this board can actually say they watched this guy play extensively enough to judge if he's good or not good.

Completely agree with you on this.

I'm wondering how we have the cap space to sign anyone though, with two RFAs still remaining

Capfriendly has us with $1 mil left in cap space. That doesn't account for buring half of Beleksy's cap hit (another 950k freed up) and it has McKegg on our roster (so that's another 750k) but their number also doesn't factor in Kravstov (subtract 925k in cap) and that leaves us with $1.775 mil left and thats assuming Rykov, Lindgren and Shesterkin all start the year in hartford

unless we're still ridding ourselves of another contract like Namestnikov, I don't see how we are in a position to sign anyone, even if they are on the cheap

I'm starting to think that it's just a running inside joke between McKenzie, Friedman, and other rumor salesmen that you add the Rangers to any list of teams interested in any free agent, no matter the lack logic or disposable dollars.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

DeAngelo and Lemieux were qualified. Rangers don't have to do anything with them. The lineup, as is, can take the ice tomorrow.

That said, they have 4 NHL dmen, assuming Smith is in the minors, and including DeAngelo (who hasn't played a full NHL season). I think they absolutely need to bring in a 7th dman with some experience.

They're not meant to paint an entirely new picture.

They're meant to be an additional set of input evaluators can use to make informed decisions, in conjunction with every other bit of information available on a player.

Making decisions solely based on analytics is a folly. "Not believing" in analytics is archaic.

I?m well aware of that. Which is why I said it.

Problem is that many others think it?s something new that allows you to ignore what?s been around for decades. Also they tend to miss the fact that without traditional statistics the new analytics based stats couldn?t exist mathematically since the majority of them are calculated using numbers and data from the traditional statistical pool.

That was my point really.

DeAngelo and Lemieux were qualified. Rangers don't have to do anything with them. The lineup, as is, can take the ice tomorrow.

That said, they have 4 NHL dmen, assuming Smith is in the minors, and including DeAngelo (who hasn't played a full NHL season). I think they absolutely need to bring in a 7th dman with some experience.

Which allowed the Rangers to keep their rights. The QOs weren't signed. Neither is actually under contract right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

How much of Smith's cap hit gets buried if/when we send him down?

How much of Smith's cap hit gets buried if/when we send him down?

Just under a million, I think.

edit - Burying Smith makes his cap hit 3.275M, so it's 1.075M in savings; Beleskey saves us around another 825k. Basically add 2m to our current cap space assuming both of those outcomes.

I still think Namestnikov will be moved for peanuts.

I would love that but I don't know what team would want to take him/have room to take him. I guess we can retain some of his contract but that kind of defeats the purpose of moving his $4mil if we end up retaining half, even with him going to UFA next year

teams that have room for him Cap wise (assuming all $4 mil is taken + teams that have slightly more than $4 mil in cap space aren't going to utilize the rest of their cap on him/teams with RFA's still to sign aren't taking him in) Also not including Ottawa because their owner isn't going to pay the salary dollars regardless of cap space

Columbus has over $16 mil in space - While they have the space and it might be worth a gamble when they have 0 expectations, I don't think Namestnikov offers them anything for 1 year that makes it worth giving up any assets for, even peanuts, to do a divisional rival a favor

Philly has over $13 mil - similar situation as Columbus, they aren't trying to do us any favors

Colorado has over $16 mil - Maybe a possibility here. Namestnikov has shown he can perform with an elite C, maybe MacKinnon could use him as a winger for a bit

Minnesota has almost $9.5 mil - I don't think Namestnikov provides them anything they would need. They are a team that needs some organizational direction and this type of move just reeks of the old leadership. they also don't even have a GM to negotiate with

Winnipeg has almost $17 mil - They could potentially have a use for him but they still need to sign Laine an Connor to deals that will likely take up a good chunk of that space

Anaheim has over $8 mil - they have space but they are rebuilding and i don't see a huge motivation for them to give up anything at all for a guy that won't be in their long term plans

I would love that but I don't know what team would want to take him/have room to take him. I guess we can retain some of his contract but that kind of defeats the purpose of moving his $4mil if we end up retaining half, even with him going to UFA next year

teams that have room for him Cap wise (assuming all $4 mil is taken + teams that have slightly more than $4 mil in cap space aren't going to utilize the rest of their cap on him/teams with RFA's still to sign aren't taking him in) Also not including Ottawa because their owner isn't going to pay the salary dollars regardless of cap space

Columbus has over $16 mil in space - While they have the space and it might be worth a gamble when they have 0 expectations, I don't think Namestnikov offers them anything for 1 year that makes it worth giving up any assets for, even peanuts, to do a divisional rival a favor

Philly has over $13 mil - similar situation as Columbus, they aren't trying to do us any favors

Colorado has over $16 mil - Maybe a possibility here. Namestnikov has shown he can perform with an elite C, maybe MacKinnon could use him as a winger for a bit

Minnesota has almost $9.5 mil - I don't think Namestnikov provides them anything they would need. They are a team that needs some organizational direction and this type of move just reeks of the old leadership. they also don't even have a GM to negotiate with

Winnipeg has almost $17 mil - They could potentially have a use for him but they still need to sign Laine an Connor to deals that will likely take up a good chunk of that space

Anaheim has over $8 mil - they have space but they are rebuilding and i don't see a huge motivation for them to give up anything at all for a guy that won't be in their long term plans

With retention, Ottawa?

With retention, Ottawa?

I noted them in my initial description of who I didn't include in the list of teams with cap room. I just don't think Melnyk wants to add $ Any million to the salary books. But even if he was ok with it, I don't think there's any reason for a team that is going absolutely nowhere to add a spare part on a 1 year deal making a few million bucks that does nothing for them moving forward

I still think Namestnikov will be moved for peanuts.

Agreed. I think they probably want to get Lemieux and/or DeAngelo on longer than 1 year terms. Especially DeAngelo. And they don't have the cap space to do so right now. Requires a cap dump. Namestnikov is the logical player to trade here.

I noted them in my initial description of who I didn't include in the list of teams with cap room. I just don't think Melnyk wants to add $ Any million to the salary books. But even if he was ok with it, I don't think there's any reason for a team that is going absolutely nowhere to add a spare part on a 1 year deal making a few million bucks that does nothing for them moving forward

Namestnikov (retained) + Ryan Lindgren for 2020 mid-round pick-type deal would, I'd hope, grease the wheels for a deal. The incentive is Ottawa gets a decent hockey player to pretend they're icing an NHL roster, a mild bump in the cap at little out-of-pocket cost, plus a cost-controlled asset. Rangers get better roster flexibility and added cap room.

Just under a million, I think.

edit - Burying Smith makes his cap hit 3.275M, so it's 1.075M in savings; Beleskey saves us around another 825k. Basically add 2m to our current cap space assuming both of those outcomes.

Had no idea.. thought when a player is sent down the majority of their salary gets buried if not the whole thing.

Learn something new every day.

Had no idea.. thought when a player is sent down the majority of their salary gets buried if not the whole thing.

Learn something new every day.

It used to. It was done away with after the Rangers buried Redden. It was colloquially referred to as "the Redden Rule," in fact.

Namestnikov (retained) + Ryan Lindgren for 2020 mid-round pick-type deal would, I'd hope, grease the wheels for a deal. The incentive is Ottawa gets a decent hockey player to pretend they're icing an NHL roster, a mild bump in the cap at little out-of-pocket cost, plus a cost-controlled asset. Rangers get better roster flexibility and added cap room.

Wont happen. Ottawa has an internal cap of around $40M. They’re not adding salary

I don't think it's worth it to lose Lindgren for that. Maybe if we were dumping a contract like Staal or something with multiple years remaining I could see it. but Vlad has one year left and could potentially get us an asset at the deadline. no need to rid ourselves of a prospect. We have a great pipeline for our Defense, which maybe could make that a little easier to stomach, but why risk giving up a good young prospect to clear a contract thats coming off the books in a year anyway

What?

Just trade Namestnikov retained for a 2059 7th-rounder or AHL fodder. You don't need to get value back. The value is dumping the contract.

• 1 month later...