Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rangers Interested in D Ben Hutton

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    With retention, Ottawa?
    I noted them in my initial description of who I didn't include in the list of teams with cap room. I just don't think Melnyk wants to add $ Any million to the salary books. But even if he was ok with it, I don't think there's any reason for a team that is going absolutely nowhere to add a spare part on a 1 year deal making a few million bucks that does nothing for them moving forward

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I still think Namestnikov will be moved for peanuts.
    Agreed. I think they probably want to get Lemieux and/or DeAngelo on longer than 1 year terms. Especially DeAngelo. And they don't have the cap space to do so right now. Requires a cap dump. Namestnikov is the logical player to trade here.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    I noted them in my initial description of who I didn't include in the list of teams with cap room. I just don't think Melnyk wants to add $ Any million to the salary books. But even if he was ok with it, I don't think there's any reason for a team that is going absolutely nowhere to add a spare part on a 1 year deal making a few million bucks that does nothing for them moving forward
    Namestnikov (retained) + Ryan Lindgren for 2020 mid-round pick-type deal would, I'd hope, grease the wheels for a deal. The incentive is Ottawa gets a decent hockey player to pretend they're icing an NHL roster, a mild bump in the cap at little out-of-pocket cost, plus a cost-controlled asset. Rangers get better roster flexibility and added cap room.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Just under a million, I think.

edit - Burying Smith makes his cap hit 3.275M, so it's 1.075M in savings; Beleskey saves us around another 825k. Basically add 2m to our current cap space assuming both of those outcomes.
    Had no idea.. thought when a player is sent down the majority of their salary gets buried if not the whole thing.

Learn something new every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Had no idea.. thought when a player is sent down the majority of their salary gets buried if not the whole thing.

Learn something new every day.

It used to. It was done away with after the Rangers buried Redden. It was colloquially referred to as "the Redden Rule," in fact.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    Namestnikov (retained) + Ryan Lindgren for 2020 mid-round pick-type deal would, I'd hope, grease the wheels for a deal. The incentive is Ottawa gets a decent hockey player to pretend they're icing an NHL roster, a mild bump in the cap at little out-of-pocket cost, plus a cost-controlled asset. Rangers get better roster flexibility and added cap room.
    Wont happen. Ottawa has an internal cap of around $40M. They’re not adding salary

Senior Member Junior Division
    I don't think it's worth it to lose Lindgren for that. Maybe if we were dumping a contract like Staal or something with multiple years remaining I could see it. but Vlad has one year left and could potentially get us an asset at the deadline. no need to rid ourselves of a prospect. We have a great pipeline for our Defense, which maybe could make that a little easier to stomach, but why risk giving up a good young prospect to clear a contract thats coming off the books in a year anyway

Moderator Junior Division
    What?

Just trade Namestnikov retained for a 2059 7th-rounder or AHL fodder. You don't need to get value back. The value is dumping the contract.

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

It used to. It was done away with after the Rangers buried Redden. It was colloquially referred to as "the Redden Rule," in fact.
    Haha damn... dunno how I missed that

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Haha damn... dunno how I missed that

Well now you have "Robidas Island" which is when a player just vanishes and is never heard from again lol. Not sent to the minors, just off the team and no one is sure if they're injured, retired, or just sent on a permanent, paid vacation.
    GORTON 2020

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123