Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    ...and this sounds kinda kinky

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    It's Monday...go easy on me man!! LOL

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Right now, yea. But I wouldn't sleep on the physical maturation of any of Howden, Lias, Chytil over the offseason. At that age, you can make huge strides, physically. Howden, in particular, doesn't have the offensive upside of Chytil, but if you put him in the middle of, say, Kreider and Buch, he can be effective if he lets the other two feel confident in springing the zone.
    More on topic though;

I like Future's assessment here...I think Howden is going to be a solid NHL player and he does need some time to mature...possibly more than the others. I see Anderson in that category as well. I think I just wanna see more of these guys in a setting where, ok now that we're not "playing for a lottery pick", let's see what we have going forward here.

Even though we've had a HELL of a summer, I still don't really think we're a playoff team...there's simply too many question marks. As these youngsters take shape maybe a few of those questions about talent and whatnot get answered, but I'm not going to be totally miffed if they miss the playoffs.

I simply wanna see progress...and most of all, just give me HOPE that we're going in the right direction with these guys.

I gotta admit one thing though: I'm really going to enjoy seeing Kakko be a Ranger!

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Howden has to be in the conversation for demotion. I really doubt Kravtsov doesn't make the team.
    Care to explain that one? Can't see a world where Nieves is a better call, and that's likely who he has to "beat out"
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Care to explain that one? Can't see a world where Nieves is a better call, and that's likely who he has to "beat out"
    I don't see them keeping Howden or Andersson as a 13th forward rather than getting big minutes in Hartford.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I don't see them keeping Howden or Andersson as a 13th forward rather than getting big minutes in Hartford.
    Plus, if neither stand out, I think you risk losing Nieves to waivers. I think Nieves makes the cut over one of these two for that reason. I mean unless they totally blow everyone out of the water.

I don't know why, but I really like Nieves as a fit for the 4th line as a guy who could still prove he's more than that. I can see that kid catching on somewhere else and becoming a very useful player.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I don't think anyone would take Nieves for free.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I think if you look past his hot start and evaluate his season as a whole, there's an argument to be made that Howden looked like a guy who was drowning at the NHL level and wasn't ready for a full year. Whether it's the eye test, box score or analytics approach, it's pretty clear that he hit a massive wall.
    I guess whether he'll be better off as a 1c in Hartford or as a 4th liner in New York is a worthwhile discussion to have, much like the same is true for Lias. I'm less worried about using Nieves there as that's probably the sort of role that is his ceiling anyway.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Nieves hasn’t shown anyone anything more than he’s a borderline NHL’er at this point. And that’s at both the NHL and AHL levels. At best he’s the last forward in the lineup, and more likely if he’s even on the roster he’s in the stands most nights.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Play a kid over Boo every time.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I think 60-40 Boo gets taken on waivers. Just look at the guys that we have taken over the past few years. I don't think they would try sending Boo down for another reason. They rewarded him with a one way contract, and even though it's only 700k, most of it would count against the cap if he were sent down. Every little bit hurts in the cap position that we are in.

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    I think 60-40 Boo gets taken on waivers. Just look at the guys that we have taken over the past few years. I don't think they would try sending Boo down for another reason. They rewarded him with a one way contract, and even though it's only 700k, most of it would count against the cap if he were sent down. Every little bit hurts in the cap position that we are in.
    I could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that is not how the salary cap works.

My understanding of how it works is if a player gets sent down to the AHL, none of his salary counts against the salary cap; the only exception is if his cap hit exceeds $950,000. For instance, if they sent Namestikov to the AHL, his cap hit would count 3.05 million against the salary cap since he makes 4 million per year. So if they sent Nieves down and he cleared waivers, his cap hit would disappear regardless of whether he was on a One or Two way deal.

This article below explains the difference pretty well.

ttps://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php/swisshockeyblogs-ch/65-nhl-explained/8277-how-do-one-and-two-way-contracts-work

This one explains the cap hit penalty for players with a cap hit in excess of $950,000.

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/...in-the-minors/

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    One-way/two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. They determine salary. One-way deals are set salaries regardless of which level the player plays at (NHL or AHL). Two-way deals have NHL-level salaries and AHL-level salaries that can see a player make league minimum at the NHL-level but far less at the AHL level.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Play a kid over Boo every time.
    He's 25. Still a kid himself... Very low miles on a big bodied, good skating center with defensive ability on top of some decent skill as a passer. He's a perfect 4th liner with room to grow. I don't think he's been fully developed.

Definitely one of those guys I just root for as a guy that was supposed to be an offensive player, yet is totally capable and willing to change his game to just be in the NHL. One of those what ever it take kinda guys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    He's 25. Still a kid himself... Very low miles on a big bodied, good skating center with defensive ability on top of some decent skill as a passer. He's a perfect 4th liner with room to grow. I don't think he's been fully developed.

Definitely one of those guys I just root for as a guy that was supposed to be an offensive player, yet is totally capable and willing to change his game to just be in the NHL. One of those what ever it take kinda guys.
    Boo Nieves at 25 is still a kid and has potential.

Lias Andersson is 20 and should be traded to dump a salary.

We'd be in trouble if Gorton believed the same.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    The Athletic Projecting the 2019-20 NHL Standings
    Projects the Rangers with 75 points.

This is one of the rankings that likely comes with a grain of salt as the Rangers are likely another victim of young talent impacting WAR valuation – after all this is a team that added Artemi Panarin this summer. Outlining some of the key decisions in the lineup we used from this exercise, Rick Carpiniello and Goldman chose to keep Chris Kreider on the second line (barring any trade) and put Ryan Strome in over Vladislav Namestnikov. If Kreider is traded, our writers project Buchnevich and Kravtsov on line two, Brendan Lemieux-Lias Andersson-Strome as line three, Cristoval Nieves over Greg McKegg on line four and a shift lower in the standings.
    https://theathletic.com/1121206/2019...tion-stack-up/

They used replacement level players for rookies. Meaning Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox etc were given WAR ratings equalling bog standard plugs.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    The Athletic Projecting the 2019-20 NHL Standings
    Projects the Rangers with 75 points.

https://theathletic.com/1121206/2019...tion-stack-up/
    I can't see them being worse than last year. They may struggle, but at the very least they'll have two proven dynamic forwards (Zibanejad and Panarin) instead of one and an improved defensive group by virtue of adding Trouba. Even if everything else is the same as last season. Even if Anderson, Chytil, Howden, and Buch don't improve at all, I think they'll be a better team.
    GORTON 2020

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Although I understand the process, I'm not going to lie, 75 points would be disappointing.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I can't see them being worse than last year. They may struggle, but at the very least they'll have two proven dynamic forwards (Zibanejad and Panarin) instead of one and an improved defensive group by virtue of adding Trouba. Even if everything else is the same as last season. Even if Anderson, Chytil, Howden, and Buch don't improve at all, I think they'll be a better team.
    I definitely think that's a worst case scenario. For that to materialize you're probably looking at none of the sophomore players getting better (which I don't see as likely since they don't really have anywhere to go but up) and all of the new additions severlely underperforming

One factor that could be responsible for u sucking is the goalie situation. We can't rely on Hank to steal games anymore and Georgiev and Shesterkin are still unknowns. I feel confident Georgiev will continue to be good but if not it wouldn't be the first time a goalie has excelled out the gate in a small sample size only to crap the bed once asked to take on a steadier workload

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast