• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

A year ago, the St. Louis Blues had a big offseason after missing the playoffs, adding centers Tyler Bozak and Ryan O'Reilly and forwards Pat Maroon and David Perron.

They started the season poorly and changed coaches Nov. 19, replacing Mike Yeo with Craig Berube; were last in the NHL on Jan. 3 and gave goalie Jordan Binnington his first NHL start on Jan. 7; and rallied to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Then they won the Cup.

Again, the Rangers are focused on improving each day, not setting the bar too high too soon. But that's what they're working toward

The Rangers need to sort out who will play center behind Mika Zibanejad, for example, after trading Kevin Hayes to the Jets on Feb. 25. Hayes was a pending UFA at the time. Winnipeg traded him to the Philadelphia Flyers on June 3, and he signed a seven-year contract with the Flyers on June 19.

Filip Chytil, Ryan Strome, Brett Howden and Lias Andersson each is a candidate.

"The natural question and spotlight goes on what's going to happen next to that second-line center," Gorton said. "I think there's a lot of people in house that we'll look at and see where it is."

Look across the Hudson River. The Devils seem to be building up for the battle that is to come this season.

Link: https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-rangers-expectations-for-2019-20-season/c-308407398

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so all we have to do is fire the coach and bench lundqvist and the cup is ours because the nhl is a copycat league:pbjtime:

metro is tough this year so even a third place finish or a wild card spot would be encouraging. would be nice to get back to the playoffs and get the kids some experience

I'm hopeful Chytil can nail down the 2c spot.

Depending on whether you like fancy stats or not, the Rangers did really well when Chytil was on the ice last season. Even if his year overall was merely ok.

I'm looking forward to seeing him with some good players on his wings.

I'm hoping they keep Strome so he can lighten the load at 2C. Hopefully Chytil can take over eventually with Anderson and Howden filling the other roles. Hopefully they're just good enough to squeak into the playoffs.

But I won't be mad if they're not.

At least the days of trying to lose are over. I know we only did that for 2 years, but it fucking sucked to watch.

I'm hoping they keep Strome so he can lighten the load at 2C. Hopefully Chytil can take over eventually with Anderson and Howden filling the other roles. Hopefully they're just good enough to squeak into the playoffs.

But I won't be mad if they're not.

At least the days of trying to lose are over. I know we only did that for 2 years, but it fucking sucked to watch.

Dude, I am so on board with this whole post, my brother! I'm so freakin' stoked to root for these kids this season. Yeah 31, the last 2 years blew monkey ass and it seemed like we had no direction. Things have swung a wild 360 this summer, and now even though we may not make the playoffs, I'm not so sure that matters as much because hope is back, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel for these kids. We now have a direction, and I'm sure Gorton and JD have a plan.

I'll trust JD to my death, and I believe in Gorton

I really like this group of players who are going to have to take the 2nd line center spot. It's a group that can push each other.

The only problem I have is that the Rangers seem to be leaning towards having Panarin play with Zib. I'd leave that Kreider- Zib- Buch combo, maybe swapping Buch with Kakko or Kravstov if Buch struggles.

I think Panarin absolutely needs to play on that 2nd line to carry the options at center as well as the likely rookie on the opposite wing.

You have Chytil as the guy most want to see take the job. He's just got tons of talent. I'm expecting quite a bit from him this season.

Strome might just be turning into the player he was drafted to be. He definitely looked rejuvenated when he got icetime. He's kinda fighting for his NHL life and for a new contract. I'd utilize that into either turning him around and extending him on a team friendly deal, or to up his trade value and clean up some cap space. Definitely an asset as of now. Who knows. I thought Spooner was going to turn a corner last year too.

Howden has a legit shot to take the spot as well. He showed NHL maturity, an ability to play in all situations and not look terribly out of place. Granted he didn't look as polished in the 2nd half of the season, but I feel he showed enough at the start to warrant a pass. I really like this kids game and demeanor.

Andersson is definitely an underdog. He has a lot to prove. The spot is there. Go get it kid. Shut us nay sayers up. Live up to the expectations. This team sure could use another forward to crowd the top 6. Because if Strome or Howden don't deserve the 2nd line spot... They have to play on the 3rd line or on another team. Less 3rd/4th line depth. More top 6.

With Chytil as my favorite to win the job, it's going to be interesting to see what they do with the other options. Strome or Andersson to the wing? I don't want them on the 4th line.. Howden to the 4th line?

Crap, does Boo Nieves stand a chance at the 2nd line job? Shit. Why not? If anyone is in the Malhotra mold (what people are now projecting Andersson as), I think it's Nieves.

Regardless. Whomever gets the job, it better be with Panarin on the left.

I really like this group of players who are going to have to take the 2nd line center spot. It's a group that can push each other.

The only problem I have is that the Rangers seem to be leaning towards having Panarin play with Zib. I'd leave that Kreider- Zib- Buch combo, maybe swapping Buch with Kakko or Kravstov if Buch struggles.

I think Panarin absolutely needs to play on that 2nd line to carry the options at center as well as the likely rookie on the opposite wing.

I think we'll see both looks, but you gotta think they want Panarin building chemistry with a center he'll play with for at least 3 years.

You have Chytil as the guy most want to see take the job. He's just got tons of talent. I'm expecting quite a bit from him this season.

Chytil's fancy-stats are PHENOMENAL. He's primed for a breakout, especially if he ends up getting time with Panarin.

Strome might just be turning into the player he was drafted to be. He definitely looked rejuvenated when he got icetime. He's kinda fighting for his NHL life and for a new contract. I'd utilize that into either turning him around and extending him on a team friendly deal, or to up his trade value and clean up some cap space. Definitely an asset as of now. Who knows. I thought Spooner was going to turn a corner last year too.

Howden has a legit shot to take the spot as well. He showed NHL maturity, an ability to play in all situations and not look terribly out of place. Granted he didn't look as polished in the 2nd half of the season, but I feel he showed enough at the start to warrant a pass. I really like this kids game and demeanor.

Andersson is definitely an underdog. He has a lot to prove. The spot is there. Go get it kid. Shut us nay sayers up. Live up to the expectations. This team sure could use another forward to crowd the top 6. Because if Strome or Howden don't deserve the 2nd line spot... They have to play on the 3rd line or on another team. Less 3rd/4th line depth. More top 6.

With Chytil as my favorite to win the job, it's going to be interesting to see what they do with the other options. Strome or Andersson to the wing? I don't want them on the 4th line.. Howden to the 4th line?

Howden is a prototypical 3c, imo. If he wins our 2c job, we're in trouble; barring a huge jump from him, it means that Strome, Andersson, or Chytil really shit the bed.

Crap, does Boo Nieves stand a chance at the 2nd line job? Shit. Why not? If anyone is in the Malhotra mold (what people are now projecting Andersson as), I think it's Nieves.

Regardless. Whomever gets the job, it better be with Panarin on the left.

IMO, Nieves is fighting for his NHL career right now. He's easily the odd man out right now. He's got to show a lot to make the team, let alone to play 2c minutes.

I think we'll see both looks, but you gotta think they want Panarin building chemistry with a center he'll play with for at least 3 years.

Chytil's fancy-stats are PHENOMENAL. He's primed for a breakout, especially if he ends up getting time with Panarin.

Howden is a prototypical 3c, imo. If he wins our 2c job, we're in trouble; barring a huge jump from him, it means that Strome, Andersson, or Chytil really shit the bed.

IMO, Nieves is fighting for his NHL career right now. He's easily the odd man out right now. He's got to show a lot to make the team, let alone to play 2c minutes.

I'd love to see Kakko get a crack at C, given his size, strength, and playmaking ability. I wonder if they will at least experiment with it in camp and/or preseason.

I'd love to see a line-up like this:

1st: Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko (Reliable and comfortable landing spot for Kakko)

2nd: Panarin-Chytil-Buchnevich (Exploiting Panarin to get Chytil and Buchnevich going)

3rd: Namestnikov-Strome-Andersson (Two reliable, experienced guys that you can attach Lias or Kravtsov to)

4th: Lemieux-Howden-Fast (Potentially a very nice matching line)

I'd love to see a line-up like this:

1st: Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko (Reliable and comfortable landing spot for Kakko)

2nd: Panarin-Chytil-Buchnevich (Exploiting Panarin to get Chytil and Buchnevich going)

3rd: Namestnikov-Strome-Andersson (Two reliable, experienced guys that you can attach Lias or Kravtsov to)

4th: Lemieux-Howden-Fast (Potentially a very nice matching line)

Kravtsov in the A or?

"Alexa, what is blowing monkey ass?"

"Blowing monkey ass is a phrase used to describe the horrendous play of the New York Rangers for the 2017 and 2018 seasons"

gotcha:eek::rofl:

Brownie speaks fluent "Ozzy", Lefty! :rofl:

Kravtsov in the A or?

...and this sounds kinda kinky ;)

Lots of candidates for No. 2 and No. 3 center, and none of them particularly strong.

Right now, yea. But I wouldn't sleep on the physical maturation of any of Howden, Lias, Chytil over the offseason. At that age, you can make huge strides, physically. Howden, in particular, doesn't have the offensive upside of Chytil, but if you put him in the middle of, say, Kreider and Buch, he can be effective if he lets the other two feel confident in springing the zone.

Kravtsov in the A or?

Namestnikov is a total frigging wildcard right now. Kravtsov should make the team, but you can't pay Namestnikov 4m to sit on the bench as #13. We're already doing that with Brendan Smith.

Kravtsov and/or Andersson might be in the AHL until we deal Namestnikov. Not necessarily a bad thing for those two to run Hartford's offense for a few weeks, build chemistry, etc.

Namestnikov is a total frigging wildcard right now. Kravtsov should make the team, but you can't pay Namestnikov 4m to sit on the bench as #13. We're already doing that with Brendan Smith.

Kravtsov and/or Andersson might be in the AHL until we deal Namestnikov. Not necessarily a bad thing for those two to run Hartford's offense for a few weeks, build chemistry, etc.

Howden has to be in the conversation for demotion. I really doubt Kravtsov doesn't make the team.

Right now, yea. But I wouldn't sleep on the physical maturation of any of Howden, Lias, Chytil over the offseason. At that age, you can make huge strides, physically. Howden, in particular, doesn't have the offensive upside of Chytil, but if you put him in the middle of, say, Kreider and Buch, he can be effective if he lets the other two feel confident in springing the zone.

More on topic though;

I like Future's assessment here...I think Howden is going to be a solid NHL player and he does need some time to mature...possibly more than the others. I see Anderson in that category as well. I think I just wanna see more of these guys in a setting where, ok now that we're not "playing for a lottery pick", let's see what we have going forward here.

Even though we've had a HELL of a summer, I still don't really think we're a playoff team...there's simply too many question marks. As these youngsters take shape maybe a few of those questions about talent and whatnot get answered, but I'm not going to be totally miffed if they miss the playoffs.

I simply wanna see progress...and most of all, just give me HOPE that we're going in the right direction with these guys.

I gotta admit one thing though: I'm really going to enjoy seeing Kakko be a Ranger!