• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

I don’t understand what you point is. Are u saying that they shouldn’t have signed Panarin because our draft picks may not pan out and be a contender in 3-4 years?

No. I'm saying that when you sign Panarin AND Trouba, you have completely changed the expectations overnight. It could work, sure. But you've now lost the ability to be as patient because you no longer have the "we're rebuilding" approach to lean on, you've lost flexibilty in player movement in the future - including Kreider - because there is now a win/loss context that matters, and you subject yourself to that grey area of 10th place, where you don't get premium picks and you're not really a contender.

Panarin and Trouba make a lot more sense to me 3 years from now, when you know what the prospects actually are. Those are guys that should be finishing pieces to a rebuild, not key components of it. Now, whether we like it or not, they're looking for pieces to compliment Trouba, compliment Panarin, which could very well mean moving a Lundqvist, Kravtsov, etc. etc., instead of naturally letting your building blocks sort themselves out.

Though I don't agree with the amount of patience Gorton has shown in tearing it down, I'll give him credit in that it worked to acquire a lot of really good talent and prospects. However, he is now flipping on that approach and betting that those prospects are enough to be championship type team. That's a pretty serious bet, and if it doesn't come to fruition quickly, you've got to undo a lot of that initial work, instead of hedging against some of those guys not hitting.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I wanted to know is what people expected panarin s production to be. I say 92 points. So if he?s in the neighborhood than production wise he would have lived up to expectations. Not trying to dive back into the logic of signing him or not. His salary is important because with being paid like a star he should produce like a star and be expected to as well.

Just like when a player is drafted puts expectations on a player so does a contract.

Personally, I'm not holding high expectations for Panarin to set personal point records on this team in year 1. There's a lot of kids being injected into the lineup. I don't think you'll see the kind of production you are expecting, at least until the second year. So I don't think it's a black and white question of an exact point number he has to hit for year 1 to be considered a success for him. If he gets 25 goals and 70 points this year, and the rest of the team does pretty shitty, how do we interpret that? I'd call it pretty successful, knowing that the following year the kids will have more experience and would presumably elevate their play (hopefully).

Personally, I'm not holding high expectations for Panarin to set personal point records on this team in year 1. There's a lot of kids being injected into the lineup. I don't think you'll see the kind of production you are expecting, at least until the second year. So I don't think it's a black and white question of an exact point number he has to hit for year 1 to be considered a success for him. If he gets 25 goals and 70 points this year, and the rest of the team does pretty shitty, how do we interpret that? I'd call it pretty successful, knowing that the following year the kids will have more experience and would presumably elevate their play (hopefully).

Of course it’s hypothetical and we can discuss his impact when the season is over. But it’s august and it’s just for conversation sake. A lot more goes into a players worth than points obviously. I was just curious what people’s expectations were being that some will throw his point totals in past years as the reason they signed him.

Of course it’s hypothetical and we can discuss his impact when the season is over. But it’s august and it’s just for conversation sake. A lot more goes into a players worth than points obviously. I was just curious what people’s expectations were being that some will throw his point totals in past years as the reason they signed him.

I expect him to hit 90 points at some point during his contract here. Probably multiple times. Just not this year. I don't expect 100, but it's possible.

Just curious if the goal posts will be moved. Like pre draft kakko is a generational talent ready right now to be a star. Post draft the expectations along with reality settles down a bit.

No, but if I'm honest, if the Rangers win a Cup I won't give a flying fuck if Panarin is a 75 point player or a 95 point player.

Put him on the 2nd line with Chytil and Kravtsov. Help develop the kids and spread out scoring. And if he helps those guys progress, and helps the team win, I'd be fine with a 70 point season.

I'll be more worried about points when the team is a cup contender. If theyre a cup contender this season or next season, and Panarin isnt doing shit, then yes, there will be issues.

Just curious if the goal posts will be moved. Like pre draft kakko is a generational talent ready right now to be a star. Post draft the expectations along with reality settles down a bit.

Link to someone even remotely credible describing Kakko as a generational talent?

I don’t mean to be a prick, but it feels like you’re just making shit up to fabricate a point at this stage.

Link to someone even remotely credible describing Kakko as a generational talent?

I don’t mean to be a prick, but it feels like you’re just making shit up to fabricate a point at this stage.

Not at all. The underlying point is that it’s a given that kakko is penciled in as a top line forward at minimum. I don’t doubt that but just reading posts on here the general discussion pre draft has tempered as it should. He’s a kid that needs time and the least amount of pressure possible. Not to go down this hole but Kenny Albert for one is reliable, no?

My general point is to get people’s expectation of what panarin will produce. Pre July 1st when his destination was uncertain arguments were made at what he’d mean signing here and what he’d bring. Obviously intangibles, effect on others play, etc will have to sorted out and is not easily determined. Point totals are just that and that’s all I’m asking.

You don’t need to read into it anymore than that. Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, and trouba production have all been discussed without incident. Why can’t the same be discussed with panarin

My expectations

Kakko 55 points

Kravtsov 40 points

Fox. 25 points

Trouba. 45 points

Panarin. 92 points

Not at all. The underlying point is that it’s a given that kakko is penciled in as a top line forward at minimum. I don’t doubt that but just reading posts on here the general discussion pre draft has tempered as it should. He’s a kid that needs time and the least amount of pressure possible. Not to go down this hole but Kenny Albert for one is reliable, no?

My general point is to get people’s expectation of what panarin will produce. Pre July 1st when his destination was uncertain arguments were made at what he’d mean signing here and what he’d bring. Obviously intangibles, effect on others play, etc will have to sorted out and is not easily determined. Point totals are just that and that’s all I’m asking.

You don’t need to read into it anymore than that. Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, and trouba production have all been discussed without incident. Why can’t the same be discussed with panarin

My expectations

Kakko 55 points

Kravtsov 40 points

Fox. 25 points

Trouba. 45 points

Panarin. 92 points

Because Panarin, over the last for years on two different teams, has gone for 77, 74, 82, and 87 points. He's never scored less than 27 goals. There are no question marks surrounding Panarin. Kakko, Kravtsov, and Fox are rookies with no track record, that's why people debate it. Trouba is going to be in the spotlight with an expanded role, that's why people debate it. There'd be more question marks surrounding Kucherov or Point leaving Tampa than there is about Panarin.

Because Panarin, over the last for years on two different teams, has gone for 77, 74, 82, and 87 points. He's never scored less than 27 goals. There are no question marks surrounding Panarin. Kakko, Kravtsov, and Fox are rookies with no track record, that's why people debate it. Trouba is going to be in the spotlight with an expanded role, that's why people debate it. There'd be more question marks surrounding Kucherov or Point leaving Tampa than there is about Panarin.

We also don't know what ice time will look like for the young players. Panarin will get 20 min.

If Kakko gets 17-18 min a night, I would suspect he is getting large PP minutes and would think he'd close in on 60 points.

And that’s why my expectations are as such. I’m not debAting him not performing to somewhere close to what he has in the past. The others I do expect a learning curve from.

The thread is about expectations is it not?

So how many points do you expect from him?

So how many points do you expect from him?

Is he with Zib and Kakko? How effective is the PP? I will guess 80 given a likely adjustment period.

Bottom line is what does it matter? In a couple years do we have one of the best top lines in the league?

We also don't know what ice time will look like for the young players. Panarin will get 20 min.

If Kakko gets 17-18 min a night, I would suspect he is getting large PP minutes and would think he'd close in on 60 points.

Ice time is everything.

After Zib and Panarin who gets the next most ice time among the forward group?

Is whoever winds up as 2C able to play 18+ minutes or will it be more like 16?

How many minutes can the kids actually play?

How does PP time get whacked up?