• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

Absolute ceiling is pretty equivalent to "career year".

My point was a great year puts the Rangers in a tough spot at the deadline, unless they are a shoo-in playoff team or just a terrible team. If they are on the bubble or within spitting distance of the playoffs, they will have a hard time actually making the move to trade him. It's a pipe dream that they would pull the rug out from underneath the team at that point.

I wasn’t disagreeing with you on that. Just pointing out that that’s probably the absolute maximum level of production one could expect from him.

That would be a tough spot. But I still say that you don’t manage any decision based on Kreider on making the postseason this year. You make him available and take the best offer. It’s fairly apparent they are unlikely to re-sign him, and you can’t lose a desirable commodity for nothing

And that’s yet another reason why I think the organization initially said they wanted to have this addressed before the season starts, so as not to be in the position to have to make such a decision and then have to handle the repercussions in the locker room and with the media and fanbase. But they’re rolling with it now so it’s moot.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm by no means suggesting he's a bust or whatever if he doesn't hit 60.

I'm saying I believe he's got that ability, the forward group is good enough that he can do it, and I'd be personally be disappointed if he didn't.

What's wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with having high expectations for him. I also think he eventually could be a PPG player. But this is a discussion forum where people post their opinions; mine is that your expectations from him in his rookie season might be a bit high. I don't disagree there's a chance he does it if he sticks on the first line and PP1 all season, but I certainly don't think that's a given. It seems a bit unnecessary going in to the season having already decided to be disappointed with a sub 60 point season from him, but whatever.

I think Ranger fans are conditioned for people to not be as good as advertised.

What is he advertised as, and by who?

Seems to me that, giddy Rangers blogs aside, most evaluators project him as a decent middle 6 option in his first year.

Don't get me wrong, if he comes in and is a bonafide 1st line player right from the hop that would be fucking fantastic. I'm just not sure we should be expecting it is all.

No way he's buried behind Kravtsov. That would be mismanagement. They are essentially equal experience despite age. Both NA rooks.
I'm not so sure he'll be playing 82 games on the first line. I think he'll be getting 3rd line minutes behind Buch and Kravstov, at least to start the season.

Agree to disagree. :cheers:

There's nothing wrong with having high expectations for him. I also think he eventually could be a PPG player. But this is a discussion forum where people post their opinions; mine is that your expectations from him in his rookie season might be a bit high. I don't disagree there's a chance he does it if he sticks on the first line and PP1 all season, but I certainly don't think that's a given. It seems a bit unnecessary going in to the season having already decided to be disappointed with a sub 60 point season from him, but whatever.

What is he advertised as, and by who?

Seems to me that, giddy Rangers blogs aside, most evaluators project him as a decent middle 6 option in his first year.

Don't get me wrong, if he comes in and is a bonafide 1st line player right from the hop that would be fucking fantastic. I'm just not sure we should be expecting it is all.

No it sure why that's relevant. Kakko dominated in his age in a way Krav didn't.

I think this year they look almost similar is some aspects. Simply due to one age of difference and experience.

But Kakko is ant the average rookie, i think he?s closer now to his ceiling than about any 18 year old I?ve seen. That performance at the world championships was nothing short of eye opening

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kreider and Panarin both play LW, so if Quinn loads up the top line Kreider won't be there. Personally I'd prefer Panarin and Zib on separate lines, but I guess we'll see what happens.

There will be plenty of line juggling. All season long I think, especially in the early going.

No it sure why that's relevant. Kakko dominated in his age in a way Krav didn't.

But Krav played in a better league.

I dunno. It doesn't really matter. But for me, Kakko's comparison is Barkov. Barkov scored 25 and 36 points in his first two seasons. Granted he didn't play every game, but it took him a while to become a great player. Yes, the rosters are different but unless Kakko is playing 1st line minutes out of the gate, he'll be playing with mostly unproven players, just as Barkov did.

The extra time in New York, the extra time in pro hockey -- I think Krav is set for a more productive season.

I dunno. It doesn't really matter. But for me, Kakko's comparison is Barkov. Barkov scored 25 and 36 points in his first two seasons. Granted he didn't play every game, but it took him a while to become a great player. Yes, the rosters are different but unless Kakko is playing 1st line minutes out of the gate, he'll be playing with mostly unproven players, just as Barkov did.

The extra time in New York, the extra time in pro hockey -- I think Krav is set for a more productive season.

Not sure I'd compare Barkov and Kakko. Barkov was a much better two way player, Kakko is a much better offensive player. I realize Barkov hit and frankly, exceeded his projected potential and we can hope Kakko does that too, but Kakko, by virtue of position, will get more cracks at putting up points.

Why for you, is Kakko's comparison is Barkov. Kakko doesn't need to worry about being a responsible center. Kakko's only worry is scoring. Why don't you compare Kakko to another winger.

Why for you, is Kakko's comparison is Barkov. Kakko doesn't need to worry about being a responsible center. Kakko's only worry is scoring. Why don't you compare Kakko to another winger.

The initial comparisons were to Barkok, very similar skill sets and history.

Both drafted #2 overall

Both played in the SM Liga for 2 seasons before draft

Both had 39 points in two previous seasons in SM Liga

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's starting to look like there's going to be a remarkable amount of RFAs not in training camp, us some useful UFAs with no home.

Pretty remarkable, to me anyways, that so many GMs completely mismanaged their cap situations. Ours included!

It's starting to look like there's going to be a remarkable amount of RFAs not in training camp, us some useful UFAs with no home.

Pretty remarkable, to me anyways, that so many GMs completely mismanaged their cap situations. Ours included!

Have to think some is a result of the max cap being a good deal lower than expected.