• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

We are up against the cap for the next few years while our young guys are still cheap. The rebuild accelerated because Panarin and Trouba were available NOW and we deemed them worthy of long term commitments. The glass is still 90% full from this offseason. Being forced to take a Shatty buyout was disappointing. Trouba got more than expected. Kreider is still unresolved. We got a very young roster with some superstars and guys with unlimited potential. The old dead weight will be gone soon. I suggest taking a look at the 2017 opening night roster to realize how remarkable the rebuild has gone. There was also very little on the farm.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have Kravtsov/Kakko on ELCs. That's only true for that year. Kakko could easily be 10 million/per beyond that. Plus, Kravtsov and Fox we can expect will be on the cusp of big money. Then there's Zib.

Obviously plenty of time yet, but I forsee some really tough decisions in 2022.

No way they can keep all of:

Panarin/Trouba/Kakko/Kravtsov/Fox/Zib/Chytil plus pay a decent goalie, which they'll have to do no matter where he comes from.

They're probably going to have to add a 2C at some point in next two seasons. Thats not going to be cheap, either. Even if it's internal (Chytil) then that means he thrived and is therefore expensive coming out of ELC.

They shot their bolt, and that's fine for now, but difficult in the future. I think they really have to be careful and smart about asset management, maintaining their 1st and 2nd rounders so they can feed useful ELCs in to the hopper as needed.

Ok. But we aren’t there yet. No guarantees on all these potentially big money kids actually all earning big money

And the situation you are describing happens to every good team in a capped sport

That’s the landscape

You have Kravtsov/Kakko on ELCs. That's only true for that year. Kakko could easily be 10 million/per beyond that. Plus, Kravtsov and Fox we can expect will be on the cusp of big money. Then there's Zib.

Panarin/Trouba/Kakko/Kravtsov/Fox/Zib/Chytil plus pay a decent goalie, which they'll have to do no matter where he comes from.

They're probably going to have to add a 2C at some point in next two seasons. Thats not going to be cheap, either. Even if it's internal (Chytil) then that means he thrived and is therefore expensive coming out of ELC.

They shot their bolt, and that's fine for now, but difficult in the future. I think they really have to be careful and smart about asset management, maintaining their 1st and 2nd rounders so they can feed useful ELCs in to the hopper as needed.

Why? Show the math.

And all of that is fine but that's normal trouble for any team that's rebuilding. they'll have two big contracts, two medium-sized contracts, and then the rest will be filler. I also completely overpaid Buch and ADA.

Having too many good players is a good problem to have.

Plus I suspect that they will be trading Kreider for an additional first-rounder, and I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Zibanejad, either.

And all of that is fine but that's normal trouble for any team that's rebuilding. they'll have two big contracts, two medium-sized contracts, and then the rest will be filler. I also completely overpaid Buch and ADA.

Having too many good players is a good problem to have.

Plus I suspect that they will be trading Kreider for an additional first-rounder, and I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Zibanejad, either.

Same. Let's not forget his history with concussions. Love the player and he's fun to watch, but when his contract is up he'll be 29 with a lot of mileage.

We are up against the cap for the next few years while our young guys are still cheap. The rebuild accelerated because Panarin and Trouba were available NOW and we deemed them worthy of long term commitments. The glass is still 90% full from this offseason. Being forced to take a Shatty buyout was disappointing. Trouba got more than expected. Kreider is still unresolved. We got a very young roster with some superstars and guys with unlimited potential. The old dead weight will be gone soon. I suggest taking a look at the 2017 opening night roster to realize how remarkable the rebuild has gone. There was also very little on the farm.

That’s a very fair assessment and really the viewpoint the fans should have.

I don't really get the hand wringing in here.

Yeah, if the kids all pan out we'll be up against the cap. It'll mean we have a fucking good team. That's kind of how the cap works.

They've done an incredible job turning this roster and farm system around, and - if it works - like every other good team they'll have to make some tough decisions at a point in the future.

Why? Show the math.

55-60 million for that group, including a 5 million dollar goalie, if all pan out as I hope. That's only 8 players.

11.5 Panarin

8 Trouba

8 Kakko

6 Kravtsov

5.5 Fox

8.5 Zib

5 Chytil

5 Goalie

2022-23 season.

As others mention, it would be a good problem to have in some respects, but it could also start closing our window of opportunity faster than people think.

55-60 million for that group, including a 5 million dollar goalie, if all pan out as I hope. That's only 8 players.

11.5 Panarin

8 Trouba

8 Kakko

6 Kravtsov

5.5 Fox

8.5 Zib

5 Chytil

5 Goalie

2022-23 season.

As others mention, it would be a good problem to have in some respects, but it could also start closing our window of opportunity faster than people think.

That'd be great. Paying Kravtsov and Chytil that much means they been have been scoring 60ish points, and they likely haven't hit their peak yet. Those 5 in the top 6 would be dominant. You have $30+ mil to play with. There'll be a bunch of d men on ELC's, Morgan Barron on an ELC, and they'll have made at least 3 or 4 more first round picks by then. I'm not seeing the huge problem.

11.5 Panarin

8 Trouba

8 Kakko

6 Kravtsov

5.5 Fox

8.5 Zib

5 Chytil

5 Goalie

2022-23 season.

Okay, what's the cap number your operating with?

Mine was 85 million which doesn't include a new TV deal... That's like a 2 million per year jump over the next two years... The cap is sure to rise more than that.

11.5 Panarin

8 Trouba

8 Kakko

6 Kravtsov

5.5 Fox

8.5 Zib

5 Chytil

5 Goalie

2022-23 season.

The cap will/should be like 90 million by then though. Hypothetically:

Panarin (11.5) Zib (8.5) Kakko (8) = 28

Buchnevich (6?) Chytil (5) Kravtsov (6) = 17

Lemieux (3) Andersson (3) _3_ = 9

_1_ Howden 2.5 _1_ = 4.5

Skjei (5.5) Trouba (8) = 13.5

Hajek (3) Fox (5.5) = 8.5

K Miller (1) Lundkvist (1) = 2

Shesterkin 5

Backup 1

Total: 88.5M

Even if some of these estimates are off, there's going to be ways to fit it together. In this scenario I left DeAngelo off for example. I can't see them paying Fox and DeAngelo 5+ M. There's not enough ice time to get the proper return on those contracts on the right side, unless you shift DeAngelo over.

Okay, what's the cap number your operating with?

Mine was 85 million which doesn't include a new TV deal... That's like a 2 million per year jump over the next two years... The cap is sure to rise more than that.

The cap has risen from 73M to 81.5M between 16-17 and this year. 8.5M in 3 years. If it's not another 8.5M in the next 3 years, especially with a new TV deal, I'd be shocked.

The cap has risen from 73M to 81.5M between 16-17 and this year. 8.5M in 3 years. If it's not another 8.5M in the next 3 years, especially with a new TV deal, I'd be shocked.

Right, and Crosby makes 9 million and Artemi Panarin makes 11.5.

Right, and Crosby makes 9 million and Artemi Panarin makes 11.5.
Crosby also never reached free agency and admittedly took a team-friendly deal, he took less money and he knew it. What makes you think somebody like Z, or Kakko, won't take less money if they think they can win here?

I also don't know what a new TV deal will be worth. Rogers overpaid last time and it blew up in their face. I doubt the new Canada deal is even worth what the current one is.

As for the US, what is the thought there? Is the property even worth anything?

Crosby also never reached free agency and admittedly took a team-friendly deal, he took less money and he knew it. What makes you think somebody like Z, or Kakko, won't take less money if they think they can win here?

They could, but I would never assume as much.

They could, but I would never assume as much.

I wouldn't assume it either, but I think what this amounts to is that it's really early to say they're "cap fucked" in 2-3 years. I know you're just pointing out potential scenarios for concern, and I think everyone gets that.

But some others are overindexing on the hyperbole around it to further their narrative around the Panarin signing. You can probably go around the league and point to 3-4 teams who are in the same position today that we will be in at 2021-2022. Toronto is one, but if we had to lose our "Nylander" (Krav?) to keep Kakko, Panarin, Fox, etc....Well then that's the business and there really is no way to manage out of that. It's why people hate the cap.

The problem is not unique to the Rangers so why are people acting like we shot ourselves in the face? I'd rather have a cap problem and be good...Than have a cap problem and be bad (Hello, Philly!)...

Every's fucking without a rubber, everyone has the clap, and everyone is taking antibiotics. I'd rather get the clap from wapping a 10 than a 6.

Well no, that's not exactly true. That's number 1.

Number 2 is that we're talking about 2022. if you don't think they'll be good by then, I can't imagine why you would even bother paying attention...

Barring anything drastic and unforeseen, if they're not in good after the pics they've had in the movies they made, then they'll never be good. Might as well quit now.

I was responding to the thought that somebody would rather be good and against the cap as opposed to being bad and cap strapped. At this point nobody knows if they are either, all we know is that they are cap strapped. If they are bad who cares. If they are good then 3 years from now they are subtracting instead of adding to a contending team. The point has always been the timing was wrong. We can go off on all kinds of tangents but that has always been my biggest problem.