• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

I don't see them keeping Howden or Andersson as a 13th forward rather than getting big minutes in Hartford.

Plus, if neither stand out, I think you risk losing Nieves to waivers. I think Nieves makes the cut over one of these two for that reason. I mean unless they totally blow everyone out of the water.

I don't know why, but I really like Nieves as a fit for the 4th line as a guy who could still prove he's more than that. I can see that kid catching on somewhere else and becoming a very useful player.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to explain that one? Can't see a world where Nieves is a better call, and that's likely who he has to "beat out"

I think if you look past his hot start and evaluate his season as a whole, there's an argument to be made that Howden looked like a guy who was drowning at the NHL level and wasn't ready for a full year. Whether it's the eye test, box score or analytics approach, it's pretty clear that he hit a massive wall.

I guess whether he'll be better off as a 1c in Hartford or as a 4th liner in New York is a worthwhile discussion to have, much like the same is true for Lias. I'm less worried about using Nieves there as that's probably the sort of role that is his ceiling anyway.

Nieves hasn’t shown anyone anything more than he’s a borderline NHL’er at this point. And that’s at both the NHL and AHL levels. At best he’s the last forward in the lineup, and more likely if he’s even on the roster he’s in the stands most nights.

I think 60-40 Boo gets taken on waivers. Just look at the guys that we have taken over the past few years. I don't think they would try sending Boo down for another reason. They rewarded him with a one way contract, and even though it's only 700k, most of it would count against the cap if he were sent down. Every little bit hurts in the cap position that we are in.

I think 60-40 Boo gets taken on waivers. Just look at the guys that we have taken over the past few years. I don't think they would try sending Boo down for another reason. They rewarded him with a one way contract, and even though it's only 700k, most of it would count against the cap if he were sent down. Every little bit hurts in the cap position that we are in.

I could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure that is not how the salary cap works.

My understanding of how it works is if a player gets sent down to the AHL, none of his salary counts against the salary cap; the only exception is if his cap hit exceeds $950,000. For instance, if they sent Namestikov to the AHL, his cap hit would count 3.05 million against the salary cap since he makes 4 million per year. So if they sent Nieves down and he cleared waivers, his cap hit would disappear regardless of whether he was on a One or Two way deal.

This article below explains the difference pretty well.

ttps://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php/swisshockeyblogs-ch/65-nhl-explained/8277-how-do-one-and-two-way-contracts-work

This one explains the cap hit penalty for players with a cap hit in excess of $950,000.

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-15-nhl-players-who-were-buried-in-the-minors/

One-way/two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. They determine salary. One-way deals are set salaries regardless of which level the player plays at (NHL or AHL). Two-way deals have NHL-level salaries and AHL-level salaries that can see a player make league minimum at the NHL-level but far less at the AHL level.

Play a kid over Boo every time.

He's 25. Still a kid himself... Very low miles on a big bodied, good skating center with defensive ability on top of some decent skill as a passer. He's a perfect 4th liner with room to grow. I don't think he's been fully developed.

Definitely one of those guys I just root for as a guy that was supposed to be an offensive player, yet is totally capable and willing to change his game to just be in the NHL. One of those what ever it take kinda guys.

He's 25. Still a kid himself... Very low miles on a big bodied, good skating center with defensive ability on top of some decent skill as a passer. He's a perfect 4th liner with room to grow. I don't think he's been fully developed.

Definitely one of those guys I just root for as a guy that was supposed to be an offensive player, yet is totally capable and willing to change his game to just be in the NHL. One of those what ever it take kinda guys.

Boo Nieves at 25 is still a kid and has potential.

Lias Andersson is 20 and should be traded to dump a salary.

We'd be in trouble if Gorton believed the same.

The Athletic Projecting the 2019-20 NHL Standings

Projects the Rangers with 75 points.

This is one of the rankings that likely comes with a grain of salt as the Rangers are likely another victim of young talent impacting WAR valuation – after all this is a team that added Artemi Panarin this summer. Outlining some of the key decisions in the lineup we used from this exercise, Rick Carpiniello and Goldman chose to keep Chris Kreider on the second line (barring any trade) and put Ryan Strome in over Vladislav Namestnikov. If Kreider is traded, our writers project Buchnevich and Kravtsov on line two, Brendan Lemieux-Lias Andersson-Strome as line three, Cristoval Nieves over Greg McKegg on line four and a shift lower in the standings.

https://theathletic.com/1121206/2019/08/07/projecting-the-2019-20-nhl-standings-how-does-each-roster-projection-stack-up/

The Athletic Projecting the 2019-20 NHL Standings

Projects the Rangers with 75 points.

https://theathletic.com/1121206/2019/08/07/projecting-the-2019-20-nhl-standings-how-does-each-roster-projection-stack-up/

I can't see them being worse than last year. They may struggle, but at the very least they'll have two proven dynamic forwards (Zibanejad and Panarin) instead of one and an improved defensive group by virtue of adding Trouba. Even if everything else is the same as last season. Even if Anderson, Chytil, Howden, and Buch don't improve at all, I think they'll be a better team.

I can't see them being worse than last year. They may struggle, but at the very least they'll have two proven dynamic forwards (Zibanejad and Panarin) instead of one and an improved defensive group by virtue of adding Trouba. Even if everything else is the same as last season. Even if Anderson, Chytil, Howden, and Buch don't improve at all, I think they'll be a better team.

I definitely think that's a worst case scenario. For that to materialize you're probably looking at none of the sophomore players getting better (which I don't see as likely since they don't really have anywhere to go but up) and all of the new additions severlely underperforming

One factor that could be responsible for u sucking is the goalie situation. We can't rely on Hank to steal games anymore and Georgiev and Shesterkin are still unknowns. I feel confident Georgiev will continue to be good but if not it wouldn't be the first time a goalie has excelled out the gate in a small sample size only to crap the bed once asked to take on a steadier workload

I definitely think that's a worst case scenario. For that to materialize you're probably looking at none of the sophomore players getting better (which I don't see as likely since they don't really have anywhere to go but up) and all of the new additions severlely underperforming

One factor that could be responsible for u sucking is the goalie situation. We can't rely on Hank to steal games anymore and Georgiev and Shesterkin are still unknowns. I feel confident Georgiev will continue to be good but if not it wouldn't be the first time a goalie has excelled out the gate in a small sample size only to crap the bed once asked to take on a steadier workload

I don't think you can count on either Georgiev or Shesterkin playing at the same level that Hank did for years. That said, it's been proven that you don't actually need that kind of play from your goalie if your team is built well. I guess my point is, they don't need Hank (or anyone) to steal games to be better than last season. Hank certainly didn't steal many games last year. 75 points, in my opinion, would be shocking. All they need is mediocre goaltending which is what they got last year out of Hank.

As much as I’d love another high pick, it’s more important that they take a step at this point. Making the playoffs would be nice and while I think it’s a reasonable expectation and goal, if they miss the playoffs it isn’t a huge loss. Really they just need to be playing meaningful hockey down the stretch.

Fewer points than last season would likely represent some form of a disaster happening, i.e. a rash of injuries or a couple of really significant ones. They should probably be 10 points better at the minimum. 12-15 points is probably reasonable. 20 points probably puts them in serious contention for a playoff spot.

75 points could just be a result of having so many players just trying to learn the ropes at the nhl level. I think it’s a fair number, I would probably say the over/under number should be 80 pts if I was making a betting line.

Yeah. It is a bit tricky. Say as you will for Panarin and Trouba’s contracts, but the presence of those 2 guys and the minutes they’ll play make them significantly and immediately better. On the other hand, all the young guys and with still significant holes on D, there’s going to be lots of lapses that result in pucks in their net

Guess we will see.

80 points with development from young guys works for me. Do we have a #2 center? How much impact will Kakko, Kratsov, and Fox have in year 1? Do Panarin and Trouba play like the studs they are being paid to be? Less concerning is how much gas Hank and Staal have left but that will impact results in next season. Should be an entertaining team to watch with some firepower.