• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

Hayes was on Pace for a 70-point season when we traded him. Not sure how moving him was addition by subtraction... Yet Zucc spent half the year whining and moving him was the team changing move that hurt the team?

I don't agree with that at all.

And I should state that I was never a big fan of Hayes. I thought moving on from him was an addition by subtraction. I just didn't like his lack of physicality and his effort was too sporadic. As far as I'm concerned Zucc was the team changing move that hurt the team overall. Yes, he messed up the first part of the season but his playmaking will be sorely missed. Everyone else were players I could do without, including Vesey.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you?re comparing the opening roster this year to last year I?m not sure how you don?t see improvement?

Subtracting Zuccarello, Hayes, Vesey, Spooner, McQuaid, Pionk, Shattenkirk and Claesson and replacing them with Panarin, Kakko, Kravtsov, Strome, Lemieux, Trouba, Fox and Hajek sure looks like an upgrade to me.

I?ll take Panarin over Zuccs every day. Strome over Spooner. Trouba over Shattenkirk. And the combination of Kakko, Kravtsov, Lemieux, Hajek and Fox over Hayes, Vesey, McQuaid, Pionk and Claesson.

So looking at it like this I expect an improvement over last years 78 points. How much I don?t know though.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hayes was on Pace for a 70-point season when we traded him. Not sure how moving him was addition by subtraction... Yet Zucc spent half the year whining and moving him was the team changing move that hurt the team?

I don't agree with that at all.

Agreed.

This is why if you can move the player before the season, you do so. It’s always a distraction. Just because guys say the right thing publicly, doesn’t mean they aren’t griping and complaining behind closed doors. If you hear retired players talk about it now, almost to a man they say it’s a distraction.

If you’re comparing the opening roster this year to last year I’m not sure how you don’t see improvement?

Subtracting Zuccarello, Hayes, Vesey, Spooner, McQuaid, Pionk, Shattenkirk and Claesson and replacing them with Panarin, Kakko, Kravtsov, Strome, Lemieux, Trouba, Fox and Hajek sure looks like an upgrade to me.

I’ll take Panarin over Zuccs every day. Strome over Spooner. Trouba over Shattenkirk. And the combination of Kakko, Kravtsov, Lemieux, Hajek and Fox over Hayes, Vesey, McQuaid, Pionk and Claesson.

So looking at it like this I expect an improvement over last years 78 points. How much I don’t know though.

Sure, in the long haul. This very year? Too much needs to go too well for us to reasonably sit here and think playoffs.

As I said earlier - I am THRILLED to be wrong about this. Over the moon if I am. It's just not expected to look at a bunch of kids who can't legally drink and think "yup, they're gonna crush it this year".

Sure, in the long haul. This very year? Too much needs to go too well for us to reasonably sit here and think playoffs.

As I said earlier - I am THRILLED to be wrong about this. Over the moon if I am. It's just not expected to look at a bunch of kids who can't legally drink and think "yup, they're gonna crush it this year".

Long shot they do better than 7-10 point improvement. They’re probably about an 85-88 point team.

Don?t think most fans are expecting them to crush it to use your words but they are expecting improvement.

If everything goes perfectly yes they have a chance at the playoffs. Rooting for that and expecting it are two different things. To have a third non competitive season in a row isn?t acceptable in this market for most people.

Don’t think most fans are expecting them to crush it to use your words but they are expecting improvement.

If everything goes perfectly yes they have a chance at the playoffs. Rooting for that and expecting it are two different things. To have a third non competitive season in a row isn’t acceptable in this market for most people.

A 7-10 point improvement would not be competitive. If you’re looking for a competitive season, they’ll need to be 90 points or better to at least be playing meaningful hockey in the latter stages of the year.

Don’t think most fans are expecting them to crush it to use your words but they are expecting improvement.

If everything goes perfectly yes they have a chance at the playoffs. Rooting for that and expecting it are two different things. To have a third non competitive season in a row isn’t acceptable in this market for most people.

Bullshit. The Mets, Jets, Nets, Knicks, and Giants all exist in NY.

Improvement is relative this year - way way too many variables.

To be honest, the way people talk about Kakko, if he doesn't get at least 60 points, I'd be a tad disappointed.

That alone would replace Zucc.

Add improvement to Buch, Chytil, Andersson, Howden and even getting 30 points from Kravtsov to replace Vesey...

The team is at least as good as it was last year from a scoring perspective because Panarin what make up any gaps on his own.

Defensively if trooper does what we just paid him to do...the East is so weak after top 3-4 teams... I don't know how they don't make the playoffs.

to be honest, the way people talk about Kakko, if he doesn't get at least 60 points, I'd be a tad disappointed.

Add improvement to Buch, Chytil, Andersson, Howden and even getting 30 points from Kravtsov to replace Vesey...

The team is at least as good as it was last year from a scoring perspective.

Last handful of 2nd overalls who jumped from Draft-->NHL

2018: Svechnikov - 82GP, 20g/17a

2017: Patrick - 73GP, 13g/17a

2016: Laine - 73GP, 36g/28a

2015: Eichel: 81GP, 24g/32a

2014: Sam Reinhart: 79GP, 23g/19a

2013: Barkov: 54GP, 8g/16a

I just...I can't sit here and expect 60 points. I think 45-50 is perfectly reasonable and probably on track. Anything more is gravy and worth getting hyped over.

Welllll.... Let's not hide behind that second overall status. Many thought he was as good if not more NHL ready than the #1.

I hate when the post draft hype is different than the pre-draft hype. It happened with Kreider as well. I'm not saying it's right, but there were people throwing around a star comparable names, and then when he hit the NHL it became "oh no he's only a 40-point player who goes to the net...not that he's got blazing speed and the sickest shot you've ever seen... He's just net-front presence"

Look up with the last few number one overall have done. Some of them have even been buried on the third line. He's going to be on the first line, he's going to get power play time.

40 points in my eyes would be a bit of a disappointment.

Last handful of 2nd overalls who jumped from Draft-->NHL

2018: Svechnikov - 82GP, 20g/17a

2017: Patrick - 73GP, 13g/17a

2016: Laine - 73GP, 36g/28a

2015: Eichel: 81GP, 24g/32a

2014: Sam Reinhart: 79GP, 23g/19a

2013: Barkov: 54GP, 8g/16a

I just...I can't sit here and expect 60 points. I think 45-50 is perfectly reasonable and probably on track. Anything more is gravy and worth getting hyped over.

Welllll.... Let's not hide behind that second overall status. Many thought he was as good if not more NHL ready than the #1.

I hate when the post draft hype is different than the pre-draft hype. It happened with Kreider as well. I'm not saying it's right, but there were people throwing around a star comparable names, and then when he hit the NHL it became "oh no he's only a 40-point player who goes to the net...not that he's got blazing speed and the sickest shot you've ever seen... He's just net-front presence"

Look up with the last few number one overall have done. Some of them have even been buried on the third line. He's going to be on the first line, he's going to get power play time.

40 points in my eyes would be a bit of a disappointment.

I don't think we've moved the window here - Kakko will be a damn good NHLer. What we expect of him when he's 18 is very different than what he's going to do in the long haul. It's not really fair to go in with the expectation that he's immediately a 30-30 guy at 18.

If he is? AWESOME. Fair to say he'll get a better crack at being a scorer than Svechnikov did, lets say, but I'm looking at Jack Eichel and thinking that's probably what I'd rate a great year for him at 18.

Eichel had 56 points on a bad team and wasn't playing with Panarin and Zibenajad... 60 points doesn't see outlandish to me.

I don't think we've moved the window here - Kakko will be a damn good NHLer. What we expect of him when he's 18 is very different than what he's going to do in the long haul. It's not really fair to go in with the expectation that he's immediately a 30-30 guy at 18.

If he is? AWESOME. Fair to say he'll get a better crack at being a scorer than Svechnikov did, lets say, but I'm looking at Jack Eichel and thinking that's probably what I'd rate a great year for him at 18.

To be honest, the way people talk about Kakko, if he doesn't get at least 60 points, I'd be a tad disappointed.

The team is at least as good as it was last year from a scoring perspective because Panarin what make up any gaps on his own.

Defensively if trooper does what we just paid him to do...the East is so weak after top 3-4 teams... I don't know how they don't make the playoffs.

i agree here. bringing in the breadman with zib coming into his own and a motivated contract year for kreids. more development from chytil, howden and bucc. plus having strome and fast as a good vet presence. i think you can hide kravtsov and kakko somewhat and let them grow.

at this point i'm still worried about the defense. trouba should be a good add but in reality we probably still looking at a 1-3 year development here until we see what the youth d'andre et all bring.

i believe a 10 point improvement is in the cards barring injury and it should be an enjoyable ride.

On Kakko 60 points isn’t at all out of the question especially if he’s seeing ice time with Panarin and Zib. He really should be around 50 at the minimum with 20+ goals. He’s going to see a good deal of time on the PP and you have to figure at some point of the season, even if he has some ups and downs, he’ll at least have a fairly significant stretch where he’s going well and playing with top players.

And while I don’t have this expectation, I don’t think it would be a huge surprise if he is an immediate superstar who scores 30-35+ and is at or near a point per game. Not counting on that and he by no means has to do that, but given his skill set and where he’s already at physically, it would not at all be a shocker.

On Kakko 60 points isn’t at all out of the question especially if he’s seeing ice time with Panarin and Zib. He really should be around 50 at the minimum with 20+ goals. He’s going to see a good deal of time on the PP and you have to figure at some point of the season, even if he has some ups and downs, he’ll at least have a fairly significant stretch where he’s going well and playing with top players.

And while I don’t have this expectation, I don’t think it would be a huge surprise if he is an immediate superstar who scores 30-35+ and is at or near a point per game. Not counting on that and he by no means has to do that, but given his skill set and where he’s already at physically, it would not at all be a shocker.

If we had a rookie put up 60 pts, I'd shit a brick.

Honestly, I'm expecting a bigger season from Kravtsov than Kakko. He's a year older and played in a better league previously. I think he'll adjust quicker.

If we had a rookie put up 60 pts, I'd shit a brick.

Honestly, I'm expecting a bigger season from Kravtsov than Kakko. He's a year older and played in a better league previously. I think he'll adjust quicker.

I think you may see it or close to it this year. And your point on Kravtsov is fair. It’s possible he outperforms Kakko.

I think people should pump the brakes just a touch on Kakko personally.

60+ points is basically MacKinnon/Matthews territory. Seems like a lot to ask from the kid.

I think there are a lot of scenarios where 40+ points should be seen as a very good rookie season.

Wow. Kakko at 60 pts at 18 years old yet Kravtsov might our perform him. That’s a crazy amount of expectation in teenagers. Maybe it’s possible. I think it’s jyst as likely they score half that.

True

I’m really looking more at 45-50 with 20 goals. I think that’s very possible for Kakko.

While keeping in mind they’re both teenagers still, they both have been playing against grown men and flourishing while doing so.

True

I’m really looking more at 45-50 with 20 goals. I think that’s very possible for Kakko.

While keeping in mind they’re both teenagers still, they both have been playing against grown men and flourishing while doing so.

I don't even need that much to be honest. I'd be very happy with a Svechnikov type of season from Kakko and Kravtsov.