• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

Wow. Kakko at 60 pts at 18 years old yet Kravtsov might our perform him. That’s a crazy amount of expectation in teenagers. Maybe it’s possible. I think it’s jyst as likely they score half that.

I'm not suggesting both will happen. I simply think Kravstov will have a better season than Kakko. I think 60pts is a bit rich. I dont think he'll be on the first line.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo Kakko better season than Kravstov Hank's slide continues but he's still real good on some night meh on others. Excited to see all the kids, cringing at the possibility and likely hood that they hit the wall. Lias and Howden could improve and still not show much. Chytil should feel some pressure to step up his game I think out of all the kids he got more of a free pass last year and at times his game was weak (as could be expected I guess. Don't know enough about Fox but it seems like we maybe expecting too much.

I don't even need that much to be honest. I'd be very happy with a Svechnikov type of season from Kakko and Kravtsov.

I?d be ok with that too. Svechnikov though did have 20 goals and nearly 40 points playing only 14 minutes a night and while he got PP time, it was more 2nd unit.

Realistically, much of what they might do depends heavily upon how much ice time either of them get with Panarin and Zib. While it?s not a certainty, I think most of us feel like Panarin and Zib wind up together. If that?s the case, whomever winds up as the RW on that line should have a nice season playing with them.

I?m guessing only one rookie will see substantial PP time, so +\- 10 pts between them on that.

Panarin

Zib

Kreider

Are pretty much guaranteed 1st PP time. I?m assuming one defenseman (Trouba/Fox), and one rookie along side them.

If either rookie hits 40 I?d be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The PP will interesting. Zib and Panarin both have traditionally played the role of the shooter form the left circle. Buch had been playing opposite in the right circle, but the right circle is Kravtsov's bread and butter sending the seam pass over to Zib/Panarin. Kreider is good in front of the net, but Kakko will excel there as well. Then there is ADA, Fox, and Trouba who should all see PP time. However it shakes out, I think they'll put together two pretty dangerous units.

I think people should pump the brakes just a touch on Kakko personally.

60+ points is basically MacKinnon/Matthews territory. Seems like a lot to ask from the kid.

I think there are a lot of scenarios where 40+ points should be seen as a very good rookie season.

He's a #2 who could have went #1. Why shouldn't we expect him to do what other #1s have done?

Because, based on what I've read, he's not quite in the Matthews/MacKinnon tier.

McDavid was a point per game player in an injury shortened rookie year and Matthews had 40 goals

No one is suggesting that.

20 goals or so and 50-60 points is reasonable as a clearly NHL ready player who went 2nd, had a shot at going 1st, and who most experts feel is ready to make an impact and a fairly significant one right away.

McDavid was a point per game player in an injury shortened rookie year and Matthews had 40 goals

No one is suggesting that.

20 goals or so and 50-60 points is reasonable as a clearly NHL ready player who went 2nd, had a shot at going 1st, and who most experts feel is ready to make an impact and a fairly significant one right away.

Did you read the post I was replying to?

Matthews had 69. MacKinnon (not McDavid) had 63. If you're expecting him to go 60+ then by all intents and purposes you're expecting their level of production in his rookie year.

Seems like lofty expectations.

The PP will interesting. Zib and Panarin both have traditionally played the role of the shooter form the left circle. Buch had been playing opposite in the right circle, but the right circle is Kravtsov's bread and butter sending the seam pass over to Zib/Panarin. Kreider is good in front of the net, but Kakko will excel there as well. Then there is ADA, Fox, and Trouba who should all see PP time. However it shakes out, I think they'll put together two pretty dangerous units.

I?ve watched a lot of footage of Kakko on much bigger ice, and don?t remember him playing that role in the PP.

I?ll do more research

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because, based on what I've read, he's not quite in the Matthews/MacKinnon tier.

Then he's not really a franchise altering draft pick, as was widely advertised. I'm not saying you're wrong, either, but it would be a bit of a let down if he's a 30/30 guy, which I'm inclined to believe is closer to the truth.

Then he's not really a franchise altering draft pick, as was widely advertised. I'm not saying you're wrong, either, but it would be a bit of a let down if he's a 30/30 guy, which I'm inclined to believe is closer to the truth.

Depends on how you define franchise altering I suppose. Drafting someone who projects to be a top 5 or so winger in the league is clearly pretty good.

To be clear, this isn't my "opinion". Like most in here (I assume), I've only watched him play a couple of games at the world.

But from what I've read and heard from people like Pronman, Freedman, Wheeler etc, Kakko (and Hughes) aren't quite at the uber elite level of Matthews, MacKinnon etc. More like high end, 1st line guys. I can't say I've seen anyone project him as a 30/30 guy however.

Did you read the post I was replying to?

Matthews had 69. MacKinnon (not McDavid) had 63. If you're expecting him to go 60+ then by all intents and purposes you're expecting their level of production in his rookie year.

Seems like lofty expectations.

No I know you mentioned Mackinnon. I brought up McDavid as the extreme example.

Yes Matthews had 69 points. But did so with 40 goals. Not the same as what I’d reasonably expect from Kakko.

But neither of those guys had the opportunity to perhaps play on a line and see PP time with anyone as good as Artemi Panarin.

I’m thinking anywhere in the 50-60 point range is possible. If he’s below that though, it’s fine. And I think around 20 goals would be great for him.

I don’t really think that .25 goals per game and 2/3 to 3/4 of a point per game is all that lofty.

A little high? Maybe a little.

But by no means are they stratospheric expectations.

And I won’t be disappointed nor should anyone be, if he’s below that.

Just saying under right circumstances it’s fairly possible

He didn't go #1 so why would be be compared to two of the highest skilled #1s in the last decade?

Tyler Seguin scored 22 points in his rookie year.

Jack Eichel scored 56.

Expecting 60+ points is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Going #1 is relative to who is in your draft class. How many #1's is Malkin better than?

The same year Tyler Seguin scored 22 points as a rookie after being picked 2nd, Jeff Skinner was picked 7th and scored 31 goals and 63 points.

Going #1 is relative to who is in your draft class. How many #1's is Malkin better than?

The same year Tyler Seguin scored 22 points as a rookie after being picked 2nd, Jeff Skinner was picked 7th and scored 31 goals and 63 points.

I'm not sure what your point is. What I'm responding to is that idea that because Mackinnon scored 60pts as a #1 overall -- and Kakko was ALMOST a #1, he should be expected to do the same.

It makes no sense. There's literally no logic in that argument.

I'm not sure what your point is. What I'm responding to is that idea that because Mackinnon scored 60pts as a #1 overall -- and Kakko was ALMOST a #1, he should be expected to do the same.

It makes no sense. There's literally no logic in that argument.

Kakko should be near 60 points because he's Kakko. Has nothing to do with draft position.