• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Manage Expectations After Adding Panarin, Trouba, Kakko

Stephen

Seguin played on the third line of a loaded Bruin team and got no PP time.

Eichel played on a terrible Buffalo team... Not with Panarin and/or Zibenajad.

Pumping him up before the draft and then downplaying what he is after the draft is ridiculous, imo.

He didn't go #1 so why would be be compared to two of the highest skilled #1s in the last decade?

Tyler Seguin scored 22 points in his rookie year.

Jack Eichel scored 56.

Expecting 60+ points is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever gets the highly touted right side of Panarin and Zib could easily put up 60 points, even if it was Jesper Fast. If, whoever it is stays there for most of the season, they will have a great season. Hopefully it's Kakko or Kravtsov. It could turn out to be Buchnevich and he would certainly have a career year.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If fast can score 60 pts on their wing I would hope kakko would score 100. Kakko’s value will be determined by his ability to drive play and make those around him better. Needing to ride panarin and Zibanejad is a long way from a franchise altering player. We don’t need him on their wing so he can win a Calder. We need him in the role that best helps his development so we can win a cup. In the end end who gives a crap how many points he scored this year. It’s the process that matters and the finished product. What is he four years from now? That’s what I care about.

1. Says who?

2. Who said McDavid?

I mentioned McDavid but was doing so only to point out the extreme example of the generational talents, I.e. McDavid, Crosby, etc.

But that guy is usually point per game or better.

I don’t think he’s that player right off the rip.

But again the 20-goal, 50-60 point neighborhood is very possible. No reason to feel those are unreasonable expectations.

I agree. Lots of rookies have 60 point seasons. I don't understand why we're immediately discounting it and saying it's not going to happen.

I mentioned McDavid but was doing so only to point out the extreme example of the generational talents, I.e. McDavid, Crosby, etc.

But that guy is usually point per game or better.

I don?t think he?s that player right off the rip.

But again the 20-goal, 50-60 point neighborhood is very possible. No reason to feel those are unreasonable expectations.

I agree. Lots of rookies have 60 point seasons. I don't understand why we're immediately discounting it and saying it's not going to happen.

And the guys you see do it are the type of player/prospect that Kakko is. The kind of player who gets drafted this high and is called “franchise altering” or “generational”, and Kakko falls into the former.

I’m not saying that about every guy who goes that high, but it certainly happens.

By no means is it certainty nor would it be a disappointment if it doesn’t happen, but it’s entirely possible.

I don't think anyone is doing that. I'm certainly not discounting the possibility that he gets up there. The point I'm trying to get across is that, at least in my mind, there's a big difference between saying

1. Kakko could potentially reach 60 points and

2. I expect Kakko to reach 60 points

2. infers that a 20/20 rookie season or thereabouts will be a disappointment, which I don't necessarily agree with. I think there is a very distinct possibility that he does get around 40 points, and depending on the context that could be seen as a very good year.

I mean, sure, if he rides shotgun on the Zib/Panarin line and plays PP1 all season and puts up 35 points it's probably a bit disappointing.

I'm by no means suggesting he's a bust or whatever if he doesn't hit 60.

I'm saying I believe he's got that ability, the forward group is good enough that he can do it, and I'd be personally be disappointed if he didn't.

What's wrong with that?

I think Ranger fans are conditioned for people to not be as good as advertised.

To put it in context ... Folks were pumping Kravtsov and comparing his arc to Kuznetsov and now no one mentions him at all. I think Kakko can wind up being a P/G player eventually and I see Krav as more like an Antropov than Kuznetsov. 60ish points and always leaving you wanting more. (that's not a knock, just a guess)

I don't think anyone is doing that. I'm certainly not discounting the possibility that he gets up there. The point I'm trying to get across is that, at least in my mind, there's a big difference between saying

1. Kakko could potentially reach 60 points and

2. I expect Kakko to reach 60 points

2. infers that a 20/20 rookie season or thereabouts will be a disappointment, which I don't necessarily agree with. I think there is a very distinct possibility that he does get around 40 points, and depending on the context that could be seen as a very good year.

I mean, sure, if he rides shotgun on the Zib/Panarin line and plays PP1 all season and puts up 35 points it's probably a bit disappointing.

If fast can score 60 pts on their wing I would hope kakko would score 100. Kakko’s value will be determined by his ability to drive play and make those around him better. Needing to ride panarin and Zibanejad is a long way from a franchise altering player. We don’t need him on their wing so he can win a Calder. We need him in the role that best helps his development so we can win a cup. In the end end who gives a crap how many points he scored this year. It’s the process that matters and the finished product. What is he four years from now? That’s what I care about.

I don’t think Mgt puts him on that line to better his Calder chances. He goes there because he has the ability, can handle the pressure, and long term that is where he will fit. Playing on the top line will also accelerate his development. I am hoping he handles from day one and we have nothing to worry about in four years.

Seguin played on the third line of a loaded Bruin team and got no PP time.

Eichel played on a terrible Buffalo team... Not with Panarin and/or Zibenajad.

Pumping him up before the draft and then downplaying what he is after the draft is ridiculous, imo.

I'm not so sure he'll be playing 82 games on the first line. I think he'll be getting 3rd line minutes behind Buch and Kravstov, at least to start the season.

We need to get Kreider as much time with the top PP unit, along with top ES linemates.

He needs a career year....going into trade deadline

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

A career year for Kreider might look like 35-40 goals and 65-70 points. Would they really have the balls to trade him in such a scenario?

A career year for Kreider might look like 35-40 goals and 65-70 points. Would they really have the balls to trade him in such a scenario?

A career year would be 54 points and 29 goals. Adding another 15 points seems highly unlikely. Especially playing with a rookie center.

We need to get Kreider as much time with the top PP unit, along with top ES linemates.

Kreider and Panarin both play LW, so if Quinn loads up the top line Kreider won't be there. Personally I'd prefer Panarin and Zib on separate lines, but I guess we'll see what happens.

A career year would be 54 points and 29 goals. Adding another 15 points seems highly unlikely. Especially playing with a rookie center.

Lol that's taking that term very literally. Do you think 54 points and 29 goals would be the best year he'll ever have, including all future years?

A career year denotes that he is unlikely to ever do it again.

That?s Kreider?s absolute ceiling IMO. And I think 40 is a reach for him. I don?t think he shoots it well enough to score 40.

Lol that's taking that term very literally. Do you think 54 points and 29 goals would be the best year he'll ever have, including all future years?

A career year denotes that he is unlikely to ever do it again.

I actually think he eventually winds up elsewhere and has a 2-3 season peak where he’s 30-35 goals. But then he’ll start to decline.

Absolutely, Puck!! ...on top of that he needs to stay healthy all season!!! That's the way we get top dollar for this guy, because I think he's gone. I can totally see Kreider in my mind's eye, 3 years from now, and it ain't pretty.

He'd be a future buyout candidate in my opinion; When I see a one dimensional, speed player lose his speed....the rest is history.

That’s Kreider’s absolute ceiling IMO. And I think 40 is a reach for him. I don’t think he shoots it well enough to score 40.

I actually think he eventually winds up elsewhere and has a 2-3 season peak where he’s 30-35 goals. But then he’ll start to decline.

Absolute ceiling is pretty equivalent to "career year".

My point was a great year puts the Rangers in a tough spot at the deadline, unless they are a shoo-in playoff team or just a terrible team. If they are on the bubble or within spitting distance of the playoffs, they will have a hard time actually making the move to trade him. It's a pipe dream that they would pull the rug out from underneath the team at that point.

I'm by no means suggesting he's a bust or whatever if he doesn't hit 60.

I'm saying I believe he's got that ability, the forward group is good enough that he can do it, and I'd be personally be disappointed if he didn't.

What's wrong with that?

I think Ranger fans are conditioned for people to not be as good as advertised.

To put it in context ... Folks were pumping Kravtsov and comparing his arc to Kuznetsov and now no one mentions him at all. I think Kakko can wind up being a P/G player eventually and I see Krav as more like an Antropov than Kuznetsov. 60ish points and always leaving you wanting more. (that's not a knock, just a guess)

well thought out. i'd be happy with that outcome.