Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Buyout Kevin Shattenkirk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I believe he's pointing out the contradictory way you are treating fairly new players in DeAngelo and Lemieux by not "forcing" them to do anything, while turning around and doing it to one of the longest tenured Rangers on the team.
    bingo
    GORTON 2020

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    bingo
    See post #20 in case you missed it.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    I don't think it's contradictory at all; simply pragmatic. The team has to believe that DeAngelo & Lemieux will play some sort of role moving forward in this rebuild as long as they continue to develop, whether it's them playing towards their ceiling or selling high on them for future acquisitions. While both players certainly do not have any leverage and can indeed be forced to play for their qualifying offer, is that really the best strategy to get them there, when we are talking about saving a relatively small amount(albeit precious) cap space.

Now in the case of Kreider, he is due a major payday in less than 12 months. It's been argued here to ad nauseam that he is not worth that Kevin Hayes type deal even though he can probably command it on the open market; I am sure Rangers management believes that too. This puts them into the position of having to manage their asset, my hyperbole aside. It's not like there isn't a precedent for this type of negotiation given that it was widely reported that this is how they negotiated Mats Zucarello's previous contract. I don't believe that the fact that he is their longest tenured player, is really not going to be much of a factor in that negotiation.
    not directed towards you ,but I think kreider deserves as much money as Hayes

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    So be it. But for crissakes stop giving Staal a sweater every night with all this young D talent. He gives you nothing.
    That's flat out untrue. He's the most positionally sound and veteran D on the team, one that lacks experience and leadership on the blue line. He has way more value than Shattenkirk to us, right now.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's flat out untrue. He's the most positionally sound and veteran D on the team, one that lacks experience and leadership on the blue line. He has way more value than Shattenkirk to us, right now.
    couldn't agree more. Doesn't make him a stud but he's at least competent in his own end and in front of the net . Somebody has to actually play defense.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    This makes it almost certain that Staal will now be bought out next offseason.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    This makes it almost certain that Staal will now be bought out next offseason.
    It makes no sense to buy out staal. Just wait it out.
    GORTON 2020

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    not directed towards you ,but I think kreider deserves as much money as Hayes
    I think that he deserves more money than Hayes. The problem is not who holds more value between the two, but rather how grossly overpaid Hayes is on this current contract he signed with Philadelphia. Some of the national writers are even starting to list it as one of the worst contracts in the league even though he hasn't even played a game(below).

https://puckprose.com/2019/07/17/eac...-20-season/23/

I wouldn't even have an issue with him making 7 million a year as long as the term was 4 years or less.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    It makes no sense to buy out staal. Just wait it out.
    It makes perfect sense. He can maybe hold a spot this season, but there's no way he's holding off all of Rykov, Fox, Lindgren or whoever else all the way into the 2020 season. We will already be paying over $6 mil for Shatty not to be here and we can either pay Staal the full $5.7 to sit his 34 year old ass in the press box or we can buy him out next offseason and pay $3.5 mil. It's the only out with his NMC unless he just retires. You save $2 mil off the cap and and have a measly $1 mil penalty the next year.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar

Rangers Will Buyout Kevin Shattenkirk

Wow, I really thought we were not gonna buyout anyone. Shatty dead cap for next year, 6.084 mil.—can become a really big problem.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    I think that he deserves more money than Hayes. The problem is not who holds more value between the two, but rather how grossly overpaid Hayes is on this current contract he signed with Philadelphia. Some of the national writers are even starting to list it as one of the worst contracts in the league even though he hasn't even played a game(below).

https://puckprose.com/2019/07/17/eac...-20-season/23/

I wouldn't even have an issue with him making 7 million a year as long as the term was 4 years or less.
    agree

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Disagree. Because Sam and Joe said it night after night doesn't make it so. He is positionally is okay, but he isn't physical, he doesn't make a good breakout pass nor carry the puck and he gives you nothing offensively. These young guys are all going to make mistakes but they'd be hard-pressed to be any less impactful that Staal.When you bring up "intangibles" like leadership you are saying he isn't much of a player.

Having said that, now makes no sense to buy him out at least until next summer.
    Last edited by Bugg; 07-31-2019 at 09:29 PM.

#BringZuccsBack Bantam Division rangers02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Disagree. Because Sam and Joe said it night after night doesn't make it so. He is positionally is okay, but he isn't physical, he doesn't make a good breakout pass nor carry the puck and he gives you nothing offensively. These young guys are all going to make mistakes but they'd be hard-pressed to be any less impactful that Staal.When you bring up "intangibles" like leadership you are saying he isn't much of a player.
    Players like Staal and Shatty don't have the skills they had in their Prime and when they do talk about these "intangibles", it reinforces the narrative that they aren't able to maintain that they aren't the players they were.
    WE GOT KAKKO AND THE BREAD MAN! LET'S GO RANGERS!

#DRIVEFORFIVE

#BringZuccsBack Bantam Division rangers02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    Wow, I really thought we were not gonna buyout anyone. Shatty dead cap for next year, 6.084 mil.—can become a really big problem.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    And the buyout means we won't be able to trade Kreider since he has one more year left on his UFA Contract and will be stuck about whether to trade or extend him before July 1st of next year

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...out-1.34507374
    WE GOT KAKKO AND THE BREAD MAN! LET'S GO RANGERS!

#DRIVEFORFIVE

Quote Originally Posted by rangers02 View Post
    And the buyout means we won't be able to trade Kreider since he has one more year left on his UFA Contract and will be stuck about whether to trade or extend him before July 1st of next year

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...out-1.34507374
    NYR have drafted and traded for all these young D guys. Time to find out if they can play.

day-to-day Midget Division
    tried to move shattenkirk, couldn’t, had to free up the logjam in defense. rangers have full-time number crunchers to think about permutations and different scenarios depending on how much the salary cap goes up in subsequent years. it’s all good
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    tried to move shattenkirk, couldn’t, had to free up the logjam in defense. rangers have full-time number crunchers to think about permutations and different scenarios depending on how much the salary cap goes up in subsequent years. it’s all good

No it’s not. It’s wasted cap space and it hurts the team. To what degree will be determined

And the cap goes up for everybody. Having less cap space to play with than the teams your competing with is nothing to scoff at. If just makes it harder to win. Not impossible but it makes it harder.

We'll actually be fine next off-season. With what we have coming off the books we will have around $17 or $18 mill coming off. That's not counting burying Smith again, or the cap going up, or the extra 2 mil that can be created by buying out Staal next offseason. We will probably have as much as $24 mil to work with if we want it and all we have to do is re-sign Kreider, Fast, and Strome if we choose to. That will give us a full roster.

Then the following season we clear Staal, Smith, Lundqvist, and Shatty's big buyout penalty. That's another $25 million coming off without even having any UFA's worth bringing back and not losing anybody in the long term plans. We are actually in very good shape for the future. This was the tough year to get though. I can see why they did what they did now.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast