• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Kevin Shattenkirk

Phil

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they have to be exclusively ELCs? Reclamation projects and bottom six players cost nothing in free agency. By 20-21 there should absolutely be some sort of internal promotion of at least 2 of Chyil, Kravtsov, or Andersson otherwise there's a bit of an issue at hand in the timeline. By that logic, you're only filling in middling roles. 2/3 line tweeners at most. Think about who you're actually replacing: Strome, Namestnikov, Fast. They're all good soldiers, but they're 30-40 point tweeners at most. Kreider is the most considerable loss but you hope to replace him via promotion if you're not re-signing him.

So effectively you need: Two 2/3 line types (if Howden is even still 4C), a 4th liner, and two spares for around $13-14M assuming Georgiev, DeAngelo and Lemieux amount to around $5-6M.

Unless you're overpaying those tweeners like Namestnikov and Strome currently, there shouldn't be an issue.

I think there's a bit more justification to scrutinize signing a goaltender at the age of 32 for 8 years at $8.5M. Especially when that goaltender was already getting cortisone shots in his knees in his late 20s, had 666 games of mileage by that point, and played a game reliant on his reflexes which were bound to fade with age. He never should have gotten as many years as he did at that cap hit. He earned his money. Just not that many years of it.

I've already thoroughly explained how Panarin doesn't compare.

Your argument really seems to amount to more of: "I can lament about what I want." And by all means, do so. But also understand that people can say "told you so" now about Lundqvist because he has fallen off. I think most of us would have hoped for that not to happen. If Panarin falls off, by all means, fire away. Let those of us who supported the move thoroughly have it. But he hasn't played a single game with the Rangers yet and I'm pretty sure, by the essence of being a Ranger fan, I'd hope you'd rather him succeed than being able to say "told you so." I just think it's tiring trying to fight reality.

I didn’t like hanks contract either and have always believed goaltending is the strongest position in the league and therefore easier to fill. So to be up front I didn’t like that contract either. I really don’t like long term contracts period. I understood hanks more because he was here and he was great and the face of the franchise. So I understood rewarding that but knew it would hurt in the last bunch of years.

This is your "$16m in free space for 2020" lineup

Panarin - Zib - Buch

______ - _______ - Kakko

Chytil - Andersson - Kravtsov

_______ - Howden - _______

________

Skjei - Trouba

Staal - Deangelo

Hajek - Fox

_______

Lundqvist

I have Deangelo at 2.6, Lemieux at 1.8, Georgiev at 2m

Team total is 72,197,299 with 9 forwards, 7 D and 2 G

Holes 2 or 3C depending on growth, 2LW, depth forward, 13th forward.

Also have to be open to the idea of ELC bonuses carrying over for next season.

Deleted.

Didn't think the total was right but CapFriendly's armchair-gm tool is not properly carrying over Shattenkirk's dead caphit past this year.

So who gets 4C? Nieves? Howden? I guess we are keeping Strome for 2 or 3C. Andersson should spend more time in Hartford in the top 6. What about a depth Vet C?

Uh...have you looked at the UFA list? It's comprised entirely of "never going to hit the market", "over 32", or "is Tyson Barrie".

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So who gets 4C? Nieves? Howden? I guess we are keeping Strome for 2 or 3C. Andersson should spend more time in Hartford in the top 6. What about a depth Vet C?

In a perfect world

Zib

Chytil

Howden

Nieves

Strome moved. But those are some big question marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don't worry about 4c. That's a spot you can give to an over 32 plug at 1-1.5m/y

Also - Strome, assuming he isn't traded, is an RFA with arb rights at the end of the year. We aren't necessarily losing him.

I don't worry about 4c. That's a spot you can give to an over 32 plug at 1-1.5m/y

Also - Strome, assuming he isn't traded, is an RFA with arb rights at the end of the year. We aren't necessarily losing him.

They must really like him. Several teams need that 2/3 C at an affordable cap hit.

Uh...have you looked at the UFA list? It's comprised entirely of "never going to hit the market", "over 32", or "is Tyson Barrie".

I think the "never going to hit UFA" thing should probably die, since the biggest UFAs of the last two seasons....went UFA.

Hall, Hoffman, B. Schenn, Dadonov. All strong top-6 players, none over 31. If Kreider goes, Hoffman or Dadonov would be a perfect fit on this team.

Andersson should spend more time in Hartford in the top 6.

Absolutely disagree. It's really a shame what has happened to him since he was drafted. First off, the Rangers totally reached picking him at #7; if Casey Middlestadt was not the player that they wanted, they should have traded down from this pick. Most of the major ranking services had him anywhere from 12-20, none in the top 10 where there is usually a drop off around 7-8-9.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Then facing the blowback on the Derek Stepan trade, the Rangers hype machine went into overdrive to "justify" the pick. Looks at most pre-draft evaluations, and he is compared to Frans Nielsen which would awesome if he develops into that type of production. Post draft the names he was compared to are Henrik Zetterberg, David Keiji and Derek Stepan himself. Then with a barren farm system absent Kaako, Miller, Kravstov, etc......; he doesn't make the NHL roster as an 18 year old, and all of the "bust" tags start to sprout up.

https://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/13/lias-andersson-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-15/

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/players-that-lias-andersson-has-drawn-comparisons-to/252838068

Year 2 he loses out to Brett Howden, when alot of people thought he had a marginally better pre-season; now the "bust" tag at 19 years old is really a label. In the few call ups that he was given, mostly 3rd and 4th line minutes(which is where he should be playing) with linemates like Conor Brickley, Boo Nieves, Steve Fogarty, etc... who are not known for producing huge amounts of offense on their own. He actually plays 22 of his 32 games on the 4th line. The coach is even on record saying that he really hasn't been able to utilize Anderson properly.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/21/david-quinn-hasnt-been-able-to-develop-a-rangers-fourth-line/

The whole point of this rant is that, Anderson should definitely NOT be getting more seasoning in Hartford, but rather healthy 2nd-3rd line minutes at the NHL level at Center, with linemates that can produce some offense so that they can evaluate what they want to do with him and/or if he is part of the long term plans, or just 3rd/4th line plug that they over reached on in a weak draft.

• Like 2

I don't get why Andersson should be force-fed minutes. Ice time doesn't ensure development. Andersson's game hasn't grown enough to warrant the role he's been expected to play. Fault the organization for picking him too high (Mittelstadt is overblown), but fault the player for being unable to answer the call back to back seasons. They wanted him to make the team. He didn't. He was a little sour about it and then had a winding first pro season going from Sweden to the AHL. He had "growth" (points) there and then got called up. He's been up and down since. Blame it on Howden or Quinn or whoever but the fault is also his.

Andersson was long touted as a capable two-way player which would make him effective in the bottom six. He hasn't been. Howden beat him out for a role that was his to lose. Sean Couturier spent years developing in Philadelphia's bottom-six as a competent two-way player and has now for the last two seasons scored 76 points. You don't need just 2/3 line minutes to grow into an effective player. Giving him 2/3 line minutes just so he might produce is almost like pretending he's effective. The goal isn't to pretend that Andersson is better than he is by having him feed off of others' production. He's not supposed to be that player. If that's all he is then you've failed at developing him greatly. Because then you're admitting that his defense isn't up to snuff when that's supposed to be a strong suit, and he doesn't have offense-driving abilities to compensate.

What he needs is a role. A clearly defined and consistent role for a time. From there he goes and he earns his way through whether it's in Hartford on New York. Quinn has emphasized that playing time on his team is "earned." Sure, that's been suspect at times but it's often contingent with effort and production both of which Andersson has been able to muster too little. He seems like a kid who's far too in his own head for his own good and recent failures to meet his goals are working against him. If he can get out of his own head and just do what he's supposed to be good at maybe we'll see progress. He's not even 21, he's been below expectations but his situation isn't beyond salvation. It's up to the Rangers to put him in the right situation and for him to work from there.

Absolutely disagree. It's really a shame what has happened to him since he was drafted. First off, the Rangers totally reached picking him at #7; if Casey Middlestadt was not the player that they wanted, they should have traded down from this pick. Most of the major ranking services had him anywhere from 12-20, none in the top 10 where there is usually a drop off around 7-8-9.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Then facing the blowback on the Derek Stepan trade, the Rangers hype machine went into overdrive to "justify" the pick. Looks at most pre-draft evaluations, and he is compared to Frans Nielsen which would awesome if he develops into that type of production. Post draft the names he was compared to are Henrik Zetterberg, David Keiji and Derek Stepan himself. Then with a barren farm system absent Kaako, Miller, Kravstov, etc......; he doesn't make the NHL roster as an 18 year old, and all of the "bust" tags start to sprout up.

https://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/13/lias-andersson-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-15/

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/players-that-lias-andersson-has-drawn-comparisons-to/252838068

Year 2 he loses out to Brett Howden, when alot of people thought he had a marginally better pre-season; now the "bust" tag at 19 years old is really a label. In the few call ups that he was given, mostly 3rd and 4th line minutes(which is where he should be playing) with linemates like Conor Brickley, Boo Nieves, Steve Fogarty, etc... who are not known for producing huge amounts of offense on their own. He actually plays 22 of his 32 games on the 4th line. The coach is even on record saying that he really hasn't been able to utilize Anderson properly.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/21/david-quinn-hasnt-been-able-to-develop-a-rangers-fourth-line/

The whole point of this rant is that, Anderson should definitely NOT be getting more seasoning in Hartford, but rather healthy 2nd-3rd line minutes at the NHL level at Center, with linemates that can produce some offense so that they can evaluate what they want to do with him and/or if he is part of the long term plans, or just 3rd/4th line plug that they over reached on in a weak draft.

Hear hear!

My only comment would be that I had hoped for my production in the A. It was just ok. Nothing special.

I don't get why Andersson should be force-fed minutes. Ice time doesn't ensure development. Andersson's game hasn't grown enough to warrant the role he's been expected to play. Fault the organization for picking him too high (Mittelstadt is overblown), but fault the player for being unable to answer the call back to back seasons. They wanted him to make the team. He didn't. He was a little sour about it and then had a winding first pro season going from Sweden to the AHL. He had "growth" (points) there and then got called up. He's been up and down since. Blame it on Howden or Quinn or whoever but the fault is also his.

Andersson was long touted as a capable two-way player which would make him effective in the bottom six. He hasn't been. Howden beat him out for a role that was his to lose. Sean Couturier spent years developing in Philadelphia's bottom-six as a competent two-way player and has now for the last two seasons scored 76 points. You don't need just 2/3 line minutes to grow into an effective player. Giving him 2/3 line minutes just so he might produce is almost like pretending he's effective. The goal isn't to pretend that Andersson is better than he is by having him feed off of others' production. He's not supposed to be that player. If that's all he is then you've failed at developing him greatly. Because then you're admitting that his defense isn't up to snuff when that's supposed to be a strong suit, and he doesn't have offense-driving abilities to compensate.

What he needs is a role. A clearly defined and consistent role for a time. From there he goes and he earns his way through whether it's in Hartford on New York. Quinn has emphasized that playing time on his team is "earned." Sure, that's been suspect at times but it's often contingent with effort and production both of which Andersson has been able to muster too little. He seems like a kid who's far too in his own head for his own good and recent failures to meet his goals are working against him. If he can get out of his own head and just do what he's supposed to be good at maybe we'll see progress. He's not even 21, he's been below expectations but his situation isn't beyond salvation. It's up to the Rangers to put him in the right situation and for him to work from there.

Agree with alot of your points, but disagree with a few.

Completely agree, he does need a role; 100%. Perhaps I mis-communicated when I said 2nd/3rd line minutes, when what I was really meant was a role with competent line mates. Playing him with other fringe NHL/AHLers is not going to help his development at the pro level. You used Sean Courtier as an example, whom I think could potentially be a great comparable. The main difference is that he was not over-hyped as a draft pick, was given that role at the NHL so that he could focus on his game(rather than living up to draft hype), and left to develop nicely. Compared to Anderson they have almost done the counter albeit unintentionally.

As for Howden beating him out in camp last year, I would argue that point. They both had competent pre-seasons with each of them having one highly noticeable game during the pre-season; Howden's came during the last game of the pre-season when they were making final cuts, while Anderson's came during the 2nd pre-season game if I remember correctly. You would have to ask David Quinn what the nuts and bolts were in the final decision. Where the coaching staff should be accountable is, why Anderson was not given the rope that Chytil was when he went through long scoring drought with competent line mates, and why he not really given a fair chance to replace Howden when he had all of his struggles after the New Year.

A lot of young guys played better with more playing time. Howden at the start of the season, Chytil after getting taken off the fourth line, Deangelo after being scratched, Buchnevich after being on the 4th line, Andersson after being sent back to Hartford, Lemieux with a role, Strome.

Lias may not be a possession/line driver, but he has the ability to complement some of those guys the team added this offseason. He needs to play better, but he also needs a chance to do so. His game is not a 4th liner. He'll rot there just like Buchnevich and Chytil did.