• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Kevin Shattenkirk

Phil

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy. Ignorance at it's finest. I'm not even an Andersson apologist, but the fact he's on the edge of being written off by a large majority of the fanbase is insane. Zero patience.

Ignorance is not seeing the lack of production or two way play that he was drafted for. He was to be NHL ready. 2 years later he hasn't beaten out the likes of David Desharnias, Peter Holland, Boo Nieves, Steven Fogarty, Ryan Strome and Brett Howden on down right SHITTY teams. If he couldn't grab a spot when it was essentially there to bebyad) given to him, what the hell is he going to do now that he's far down the depth chart? You can't act like you aren't pretty damn disappointed

So winning cup depends on how 19 year olds play in their first season in the nhl.

Got it.

*looks at blues cup roster*

Wait... that makes zero sense.

Good point. I was suggesting that they weren't really that good anyway, but I didn't say that...pont being, I wouldn't use the Sedin twins for any sort of benchmark for success.

Good point. I was suggesting that they weren't really that good anyway, but I didn't say that...pont being, I wouldn't use the Sedin twins for any sort of benchmark for success.

Just like I wouldn’t use a players 19 year old season split between Hartford and the Rangers 4th line.

Can you find me the link of the Rangers saying he was nhl ready.

It was Pierre McGuire that said something like that.

I really have to go find that? That's been said since he was drafted. Gorton may have said that, or eluded to how he was playing against older competition and played a two way type of game...

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-rangers-lias-andersson-hopes-to-land-on-roster/c-290233826

Sure sounds like he's NHL ready....

So if he sucks so bad why would a team take him AND a bad contract?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because maybe a GM would be willing to just give him an unearned shot at a top 6 role on a shitty team? Maybe he fits another teams need?

Bottom 6 doesn't mean he sucks..... It just means he's not top 6.. The Rangers need too 6. Have plenty of bottom 6.

Many people questioned that pick when they made it. You have to admit it's really not looking good so far.

Just like I wouldn’t use a players 19 year old season split between Hartford and the Rangers 4th line.

The fact that he couldn't crack the 4th line on this shitty team doesn't bother you??? Ryan Strome and Boo Nieves are ahead on the depth chart over the Rangers recent #7 overall pick, and have been.

What bothers me a bit more is that the Rangers absolutely wasted an ECL year on him and hardly used him. Why bother? Why do I think Quinn might not be a fan?

Interesting comparison from Valli but I think that was who we were expecting to get when we drafted him. The intangibles and NHL readiness were what was touted when he was selected. Maybe this is his year to make the squad. If he could make the team and be a leader well anyone who has been in a locker room knows that you need leaders and sometimes those guys arent the top point getters but lead by example of leaving it all on the ice. Give this kid a shot to be a leader in training and let him develop his on ice game. I am pumped to see all of these young guys this year. Only one Im disappointed about is K'andre not making the jump yet.

The fact that he couldn't crack the 4th line on this shitty team doesn't bother you??? Ryan Strome and Boo Nieves are ahead on the depth chart over the Rangers recent #7 overall pick, and have been.

Those guys are high drafts picks that are 25 years old.

And yes I question some of Quinn’s decisions.

Because maybe a GM would be willing to just give him an unearned shot at a top 6 role on a shitty team? Maybe he fits another teams need?

Bottom 6 doesn't mean he sucks..... It just means he's not top 6.. The Rangers need too 6. Have plenty of bottom 6.

Many people questioned that pick when they made it. You have to admit it's really not looking good so far.

The top six for the next 7 years should include Panarin, Zibanejad, Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, and potentially Buch. Not exactly hurting for skill or having a hole to fill.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Callahan was a third round pick.

Interesting comparison from Valli but I think that was who we were expecting to get when we drafted him. The intangibles and NHL readiness were what was touted when he was selected. Maybe this is his year to make the squad. If he could make the team and be a leader well anyone who has been in a locker room knows that you need leaders and sometimes those guys arent the top point getters but lead by example of leaving it all on the ice. Give this kid a shot to be a leader in training and let him develop his on ice game. I am pumped to see all of these young guys this year. Only one Im disappointed about is K'andre not making the jump yet.

Callahan was a third round pick.
That's irrelevant though. Callahan had a better career than half the first round picks in 2004.

If Andersson can score 25ish goals, 50ish points, be a pain to play against, shut down an opposing center, kill penalties, and avoid Callahan's injuries that would be great. Especially relative to the rest of his draft year.

It's not though lol. The draft is ripe with 2nd round players who do what you're describing. We took that at 7.

And it's a reach right now to say he can even accomplish that stuff.

That's irrelevant though. Callahan had a better career than half the first round picks in 2004.

If Andersson can score 25ish goals, 50ish points, be a pain to play against, shut down an opposing center, kill penalties, and avoid Callahan's injuries that would be great. Especially relative to the rest of his draft year.

It's not though lol. The draft is ripe with 2nd round players who do what you're describing. We took that at 7.

And it's a reach right now to say he can even accomplish that stuff.

It is certainly a reach but there are 1st round draft picks that don't pan out to even that; just from our own repertoire- Dylan McIlrath, Bob Sanguinetti, Hugh Jessiman. The draft is a crap shoot; hopefully he pans out, if not, we move on and talk about what a failure that #7 pick was. After scrolling through our draft picks over the past decade, it is crazy how many players NEVER make it to the NHL.

The draft isn't a crap shoot though. That's why there's scouting and rankings.
It is certainly a reach but there are 1st round draft picks that don't pan out to even that; just from our own repertoire- Dylan McIlrath, Bob Sanguinetti, Hugh Jessiman. The draft is a crap shoot; hopefully he pans out, if not, we move on and talk about what a failure that #7 pick was. After scrolling through our draft picks over the past decade, it is crazy how many players NEVER make it to the NHL.

Callahan had very good years for the ranger s ,i will be happy with 25 goals and 50 points a year from Andersen , that year draft crops was pretty shitty so far

It bears repeating, no one taken after Andersson in the 2017 draft has yet become a proven NHL player. That said, the whole world except for the Rangers would have taken Casey Middelstadt (who went at No. 8) over Andersson, and the rest of the world would take Middlestadt over Andersson now. No real need to debate Andersson at the moment. He's heading into his third professional season, and while that might not quite be make or break, if there are no clear indications that he 's going to be a strong NHL player after this season, it's unlikely that he will be (no need to trot out the exceptions).

Well everyone's been talking about how Chytil was the better draft pick. I thought he was terrible. He was the perfect candidate to play in Hartford FOR THE WHOLE SEASON. The fact that Hartford was a miserable place to develope was why Chytil kept getting ice time. We'll never know if Anderson got the same treatment as Chytil if he would have had a better year. Towards the end of the season both Chytil and Andersons picked up. Maybe not in the stats but with the eye, Chytil picked up his physical game and Anderson picked up his 200 ft game. Last season was really not a good gauge of a rookie performance because of the plethora of factors the team and coach faced. This is the season we should be able to scrutinize how our youngins respond after their respective tastes last year.

Yet every year there are numerous 1st rounders that don't make it and numerous late rounders that do.

Man bites dog...Everyone likes to talk about the late round studs like Datsyuk but I think we all know they are the exception, not the rule and to argue otherwise is just disingenuous.

Man bites dog...Everyone likes to talk about the late round studs like Datsyuk but I think we all know they are the exception, not the rule and to argue otherwise is just disingenuous.
I'm not talking Hank and Datsyuk late. Those are indeed extreme examples. I'm talking about, for example, Kucherov (58) and Gaudreau (104) being the best players in the 2011 draft while there's 6 first rounders with 0, 0, 2, 12, 20, and 31 NHL games. Draft rankings aren't perfect and no team has a perfect draft history.